Grits' Leadership Forum Format Announced

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Today, the Liberal Party of Canada announced the format that is to be used for its leadership debates, the premier of which is to take place on Saturday (and can be viewed on CPAC). The Northern and Western Forum is scheduled to be hosted at the University of Manitoba, and eleven persons have been authorized to participate.
  • The Honourable Carolyn Bennet, P.C., M.P.;
  • The Honourable Maurizio Bevilacqua, P.C., M.P.;
  • The Honourable Scott Brison, P.C., M.P.;
  • The Honourable Stéphane Dion, P.C., M.P.;
  • The Honourable Ken Dryden, P.C., M.P.;
  • The Honourable Hedy Fry, P.C., M.P.;
  • Ms. Martha Findlay;
  • Michael Ignatieff, M.P.;
  • Mr. Gerard Kennedy;
  • The Honourable Bob Rae, P.C., O.C.;
  • The Honourable Joseph Volpe, P.C., M.P.
First Segment

Each member is going to have two minutes to make an opening statement; the order of persons making statements is to be determined beforehand by some sort of draw.

Second Segment

During the second segment, each member is going to be asked one question from an audience member, and one question from the moderator of the fora, Glenn O'Farrell, the President and Chief Executive Officer of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters. The participant is to have ninety seconds to address either, or both, of the questions. The themes on which the questions are going to be based are economic, international, regional and social policy issues.

Third Segment

Once the third segment begins, participants are going to be pitted against each other in four one-on-one debates, and one three-person debate; the one-on-one debates are to have durations of five minutes each, and the last three-person debate is to last for seven-and-a-half minutes. The composition of each group of participants is going to be determined by a random draw to occur as the segment proceeds.

This format is to be used for the Northern and Western Forum, and the next forum, at l'Université de Moncton; the format is to be reviewed and revised, if necessary, after these two fora have concluded, in ancticipation for the remaining three fora to take place in the days and weeks afterward.

Swifty

May 19, 2006
OMG things are getting real bad when your best contender is BOB RAE.

I'll pick Bob as my horse to come in for the win.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm rooting for the Honourable Scott Brison, P.C., M.P., the Member for Kings—Hants. I tend to agree entirely with his positions on matters of social policy (insofar as I have seen since my interest in issues of governance has developed), and plus, I think that it would be neat to have a gay Prime Minister of Canada some day.

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
RE: Grits' Leadership For

This is why I read these types of forums. I did not know that Scott Brison was gay. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
When do they get tested on how well they can cover up bribe taking, or is it money laundering this year. Oh and I hear they have replaced there break time game which was Monoploy, to the brand new game called "Kleptocracy" The Liberal game of Canadian political dominance.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
Re: RE: Grits' Leadership Forum Format Announced

FiveParadox said:
I'm rooting for the Honourable Scott Brison, P.C., M.P., the Member for Kings—Hants. I tend to agree entirely with his positions on matters of social policy (insofar as I have seen since my interest in issues of governance has developed), and plus, I think that it would be neat to have a gay Prime Minister of Canada some day.

Even with that suspicious e-mail? Whether he is guilty or not, I think that will come back to haunt him and would hurt him in the election. The conservatives would just use it as more proof of "liberal corruption".

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I no longer particularly care about their charges of "corruption" in the previous Government of Canada. They cried foul over everything that Government had done, in many cases without warranting such accusations — besides, there have been such issues in the current Government, too (first-ever report from the Auditor General of Canada leaked, for example).

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
RE: Grits' Leadership For

The amount you care about corruption will increase as you start to pay more and more tax. It may be hard to care when the government steals or wastes other people's money but when they start coming to you to fund their corruption you may well change your tune.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The debate thing is going to be complicated, with 11 people in the field. Opening statements will take 30 minutes or more.....I doubt there will be many watching.

The Liberal Party badly needs to renew itself, and free itself from the fact of corruption. They will NOT do this by electing a leader from the old gov't.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't think the format is going to be that complex. The explanation above is rather simplistic; the entire forum should take no more than about two hours. I'm going to watch — I can give two hours of my time for something such as this. It is going to be interesting: It is going to be my first time watching a leadership debate for a party.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Colpy said:
The debate thing is going to be complicated, with 11 people in the field. Opening statements will take 30 minutes or more.....I doubt there will be many watching.

The Liberal Party badly needs to renew itself, and free itself from the fact of corruption. They will NOT do this by electing a leader from the old gov't.

They could cross the floor though, that would go along way to securing a new image.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

FiveParadox said:
I no longer particularly care about their charges of "corruption" in the previous Government of Canada. They cried foul over everything that Government had done, in many cases without warranting such accusations — besides, there have been such issues in the current Government, too (first-ever report from the Auditor General of Canada leaked, for example).

Doesn't even come close to stealing millions of dollars to fund their own debt ridden party at the expence of Quebec and IMO Confederation.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I doubt that Mr. Brison, for one, would return to a party that doesn't think he should have the right to marry — that would be quite an odd thing to do, indeed. It was due to their regressive stance on social policy that Mr. Brison decided to leave that party in the first place; and the people approved.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't know about that, Jay.

The previous Government may indeed have misappropriated funds, even as some would contend, for purposes of the party rather than government — however, this present Government has shown that it has no respect whatsoever for any of the various Officers of the Parliament of Canada. I don't understand why citizens would approve of such a disrespectful Government.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Colpy said:

Colpy said:

You talk like the liberals invented corruption. They didn't. This country is still limping from the effects of the last Conservative government. The Tories, under Mulroney, had a scandal every year he was in office, as well as the debt he built up. Please don't tell me again that Mulroney was not a Conservative. Seems to me the Bloc also happened on Mulroney's watch. Not much to be proud of there.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

FiveParadox said:
I doubt that Mr. Brison, for one, would return to a party that doesn't think he should have the right to marry — that would be quite an odd thing to do, indeed. It was due to their regressive stance on social policy that Mr. Brison decided to leave that party in the first place; and the people approved.

We don't want him back anyways. He can stay.

And obviously the "supporters" of Brision need their heads checked because they haven't been listening to what conservatives have been saying about this so called issue. They just go on and on as if they have no ears and must think the UK is a regressive country along with many other countries out there.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't need my head checked.

I have listened to what conservatives are saying about this issue, and I think that they are incorrect. I do think that stripping citizens of a right, once granted, is quite regressive indeed. "We gave you equality, but now we've changed our minds. You're not good enough for that."

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Just because Liberals rammed something through....sure.

I take it you must think the Charter is regressive then and the relieving people of freedom of speech etc and the inability to buy your own healthcare insurance and not returning IE money to people and limiting Old Age Pensions etc.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't think that our Constitution Act, 1982 is "regressive" as you seem to suggest. We have discussed this topic at length, and it has been quite established that you condone the spewing of hatred at the expense of the greater good of the society of Canada. Our Statutes are enacted for the purpose of peace, order, and good government — and if that means that some persons who can't express themselves without advocating hatred for others feel left out¹, then that's too bad.

:!: Revision : (1) Corrected a typing error.