Conservative victory: Not a majority

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
OTTAWA (CP) - A new poll by Decima Research suggests Canadians may be ready to give the Conservatives another federal mandate - but they're hesitant about a Tory majority.

The survey of more than 1,000 Canadians put support for Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Conservatives at 38 per cent nationally.

The Liberals trailed at 29 per cent, the NDP polled 21 per cent and the Bloc Quebecois was at eight per cent.

The survey, taken May 25-28, is considered accurate to within plus or minus 3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Asked what outcome they would like to see in the next federal election, 43 per cent responded they want a Conservative victory. But only 30 per cent said they would like to see a Tory majority.

Alberta was the only province where more than half the respondents wanted a majority Conservative win, while Atlantic Canada, British Columbia and Ontario were noticeably cool to the idea, at 25 per cent or less.

http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/NationalNewsArticle.htm?src=n06019A.xml

SO you conservatives, if Harper forces an election that would evern be less. :D

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
Jersay said:
OTTAWA (CP) - A new poll by Decima Research suggests Canadians may be ready to give the Conservatives another federal mandate - but they're hesitant about a Tory majority.

This type of analysis has always been one of my big pet peeves. I don't know about your ballots but none of the ballots I've used gave me a "hesitantly for" box to check beside a candidates name, or anoption to only voting to give the party a minority. People vote "for" one candidate you can't infer that collectively they were less that 100% for the candidate.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Vicious said:
Jersay said:

This type of analysis has always been one of my big pet peeves. I don't know about your ballots but none of the ballots I've used gave me a "hesitantly for" box to check beside a candidates name, or anoption to only voting to give the party a minority. People vote "for" one candidate you can't infer that collectively they were less that 100% for the candidate.

I agree. I don't know of anyone who goes into a ballot box thinking "Gee, I would really like to vote Conservative (or pick your party), but I sure don't want them to have a majority, so I will vote NDP instead". To imply that Canadians would vote that way insinuates that there is a conspiracy afoot whereby a lot of people get together to decide how to vote to keep a party in a minority. A lot meaning millions. Doesn't happen.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
bluealberta said:
Vicious said:
Jersay said:

I agree. I don't know of anyone who goes into a ballot box thinking "Gee, I would really like to vote Conservative (or pick your party), but I sure don't want them to have a majority, so I will vote NDP instead". To imply that Canadians would vote that way insinuates that there is a conspiracy afoot whereby a lot of people get together to decide how to vote to keep a party in a minority. A lot meaning millions. Doesn't happen.

I disagree. If the polls show the conservatives are heading for a majority, that may turn some people off and cause them to vote for another party.