Volpe Returning the Money

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Oh, that is so very nice of him.

Now, sarcasm aside, I suppose one has to give Volpe the benefit of the doubt, he may have been ignorant of the nature of these donations.

What concerns me more is the reaction of some of the Liberal Party executive, Steve MacKinnon in particular, who claimed there was absolutely nothing illegal in these donations, despite obvious evidence to the contrary.

It is illegal to donate in someone else's name, or to provide money to anyone for them to donate.

The CEO of Apotex, his wife, the President of Apotex, his wife, and their 6 children each donated the maximum legal contribution of $5,400 for a total of $54,000.

The Liberals have to not only be clean, but appear to be clean. I can't see that happening as long as idiots like MacKinnon are running the Party.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
MP Pat Martin filed a complaint with commissioner Raymond Landry on Monday, following a weekend report that Volpe received $54,000 in separate donations from the top two executives at generic drug manufacturer Apotex Inc., their wives and six children.

Martin doubted the children - four of them teenagers - would "choose to donate their life savings" to Volpe's campaign.

"This is a deliberate and well-orchestrated fraud on the Elections Act donations limit rules," Martin told reporters outside the House of Commons.

Inside the Commons, he accused the Liberal party of condoning Volpe's "deliberate and premediated fraud to circumvent" the ban on corporate donations.

Volpe's campaign shot back with a threat to sue Martin.

"Every contribution is in full compliance," said Volpe spokesman Corey Hobbs.

"Any statement made by Mr. Martin or repeated will be treated as slanderous and libellous and dealt with in the appropriate manner."

While a company may not contribute to a leadership campaign, the law allows all individuals, including a company's executives, employees and family members, to donate up to a maximum of $5,400 each.

According to a statement of contributions filed by Volpe with Elections Canada, Apotex CEO Barry Sherman, his wife, Honey, and their four children each gave $5,400.

Apotex president Jack Kay, his wife, Patricia, and two children also gave $5,400 each to the Toronto MP's leadership bid.

To guard against companies trying to bypass the ban on corporate donations, the law includes several clauses making it a crime for any individual to "act in collusion" with others to circumvent the donation limits and prohibitions.

Among other things, it is illegal to conceal the identity of donors, to compensate a person for making a donation, or to make a donation that actually comes from another person.

Steven MacKinnon, the Liberal party's national director, last week said that there was "certainly nothing illegal at all" about Volpe's donations.

Given the party's lack of concern, Martin said he's asked Landry to investigate donations to all Liberal candidates dating back to the law's inception in 2004.

Martin also demanded that the Conservative government find "legislative solutions . . . to teach the Liberal party the difference between right and wrong."

Treasury Board President John Baird gleefully declined to "defend the corruption from the Liberal members opposite."
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2006/05/29/1604900-cp.html

Well, this is one thing the NDP are good at.......I guess having the Naturally Self-righteous Party around does serve a good purpose.

My God, though, am I ever sick of tales of Liberal corruption. Perhaps we should just throw the whole damn party in jail for belonging to a criminal organization.

Except for Five, who is a good person fallen in with bad company........ :D

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
So let me see. He was caught doing this and it's alright, since you caught him he can just return the money and everything will be ok.

First of all I don't trust so called liberal or centre left wing parties as the right calls them which get millions in donations from these types of companies every year thirdly this is the type of under handed activity which got the liberals in trouble in the first place!

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Well I have to say if you wanted to complete this fraud like Martin (NDP) said, and I agree it was fraud, I think that you would use common sense to not give the 5,400 maximum because that is going to attract attention.

Maybe 2,000 or so, but these corporate executives who want to fun a right-wing under left-wing facade party do it properly. I'm glad that this fraud is going on because it keeps making people go the the NDP because the Libs haven't learned anything.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
but these are the companies which were allowed for the past 100 years until recently before Jean changed the law on the way out to give millions. They want to buy there politicians, Liberal or Conservative. Funny, the NDP have always said companies don't care who they donate to, they will donate to the ruling and second place party. They say while in Ontario they got a donation for 1/2 million from... MCDONALDS! they didn't cash it