Canada is ranked #12 in crime.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
As that page says "Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence."

fuflans

Electoral Member
May 24, 2006
Aotearoa
I know that I'd personally feel much safer in #26 Zimbabwe. It's only got 28.8753 crimes per 1,000 people!

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
If I remember stats in college (longgggggggg time ago) are those sort of things reliable? I mean istnt there a mean value of +/- 3 or 4 points? IF its accurate at all.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
RE: Canada is ranked #12

Kreskin is right, read the fine print at the bottom: "Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence."

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Canada is ranked #12 in crime.

fuflans said:
I know that I'd personally feel much safer in #26 Zimbabwe. It's only got 28.8753 crimes per 1,000 people!

Yeah, right.

So much for that website.

nelk

Electoral Member
May 18, 2005
atlantic canada
Is Government pilfering of Taxpayers included in those stats?

If Auditor General Sheila Fraser is correct in her reports; we are victims of tax grab and gross misappropiation.

Where there are victims; there must be offenders (Criminals).
:oops:

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
nelk said:
Is Government pilfering of Taxpayers included in those stats?

If Auditor General Sheila Fraser is correct in her reports; we are victims of tax grab and gross misappropiation.

Where there are victims; there must be offenders (Criminals).
:oops:

This is totally correct. If crime stats for Canada included government and white collar crime Canada would be numero uno. As an example the NYT reported last week that there are 2000 current investigations of government employees in the US. If we account for differences in population then Canada should have about 200 investigations on going. But except for the sponsorship scandal there are no investigations. And similarly there are no investigations of corporate crime in Canada.

Canada does excel at prosecuting aboriginals. Think of the public outcry had an aboriginal chief enriched his private company through lucrative government contracts and then tried to cover it up like Paul Martin did. Or if a huge amount of cocaine had been discovered on the fishing boat of an aboriginal chief as was the case for Paul Martin again. There would be public outrage.

The sad conclusion is that race and class are important determinants in crime statistics in Canada.

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
If its a measure of number of victims. Canada is 1000 per 1000 since government crime hits everyone and not the few shareholders that are affected bycorporate crime.

Government crime is a much worse act than corporate crime.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
I see the lack of any interest in pursuing corporate or white collar crime in Canada as another example of rampant government corruption. The corporations do benefit from the lack of scrutiny.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
sanch said:
I see the lack of any interest in pursuing corporate or white collar crime in Canada as another example of rampant government corruption. The corporations do benefit from the lack of scrutiny.

People would much rather watch "Cops" or "To Serve and Protect" on TV to see natives, drunks, drug addicts, and the poor in general being harrassed by the law.

When's the last time you saw such a show where the "officers" dragged a corporate lawyer out of a limo, "took him down", and cuffed him?

Not friggin likely says I :!:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Say what you like.

I know which country I prefer to raise my kids in, and my grand kids in , I'll give you a hint. It's where I'm posting from at this moment. :wink: :p

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Yes indeed Juan;

Me also. Love the place. S'why I hate to see it messed up.

Not knocking Canada, nor the people in it, just some of the fools whut run it.

Ugg. :D

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
oldnugly said:
When's the last time you saw such a show where the "officers" dragged a corporate lawyer out of a limo, "took him down", and cuffed him?

Both the Enron guys got taken in cuffs and doing a perp walk. They will also likely get life in maximum security. And Ken Lay was a good friend of the Bushes.

Still where reality leads TV will soon follow.