National Post Caught Red-Handed for Anti-Iran article

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
OTTAWA (Reuters) - A Canadian newspaper apologized on Wednesday for a story that said Iran planned to force Jews and other religious minorities to wear distinctive clothing to distinguish themselves from Muslims.

ADVERTISEMENT

The conservative National Post ran the story on its front page last Friday along with a large photo from 1944 which showed a Hungarian couple wearing the yellow stars that the Nazis forced Jews to sew to their clothing.

The story, which included tough anti-Iran comments from prominent Jewish groups, was picked up widely by Web sites and by other media.

"Is Iran turning into the new Nazi Germany? Share your opinion online," the paper asked readers last Friday.

But the National Post, a long-time supporter of Israel and critic of Tehran, admitted on Wednesday it had not checked the piece thoroughly enough before running it.

"It is now clear the story is not true," National Post editor-in-chief Douglas Kelly wrote in a long editorial on page 2. "We apologize for the mistake and for the consternation it has caused not just National Post readers, but the broader public who read the story."

The story was based on a column by Iranian expatriate writer Amir Taheri, who said a law being debated by Iran's parliament would force Jews to sew a yellow strip of cloth to their clothes. Christians would wear a red strip while Zoroastrians would wear a blue one.

Iranian legislators dismissed the story.

The story and the column appeared at a time when the international community is pressuring Tehran over its nuclear program. Iran is also under fire for comments by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in which he doubted the scale of the Holocaust.

Asked about the Post story last Friday, Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Iran "is very capable of this kind of action." He added: "It boggles the mind that any regime on the face of the Earth would want to do anything that could remind people of Nazi Germany."

A spokesman for Harper said the prime minister had started off his comments with the words "If this is true."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060524...05vaA8F;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

Well that is a screw up.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Well then National post is at the same level as , Fox news, Cnn, aljazeerah etcc.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: RE: National Post Caught Red-Handed for Anti-Iran articl

aeon said:
Well then National post is at the same level as , Fox news, Cnn, aljazeerah etcc.

CNN and Fox news?

must be one hellava broad level :roll:

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

In reference to Aljazeera, I remember that they once won an award usually coveted by the BBC.

When the Iraq war started I remember hearing of news reports by Aljazeera with regards to tragic events. Then in the US news it would be denied or the Pentagon would say they weren't aware, and then a day or two later upon mounting evidence, the US state department would concede the truth of the event and US media would cover what Aljazeera already reported.

So time and time again with Iraq coverage, they were first to report and accurate. I think their editor was even hired by the BBC eventually.

I’m stating this from memory, so feel free to correct me if I’ve mistaken any of the facts. I simply remember that their reporting on Iraq was very accurate and not as bias with the war as US media.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I agree on some incidents, and I rememer that the American government especially the Pentagon said that by showing these images they are only helping the terrorists.

If it is truth it should be shown and if it makes America looks like crap the soldiers who did the action shouldn't have done it in the first place.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Re: RE: National Post Caught

Toro said:
You can get all the news you need from The Wall Street Journal.

And the wall street journal, told you everything before going in iraq, right? :roll:

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
I don't quite believe that the National post had coldly calculated to publish the article to inspire outrage or disbelief intentionally. I see it more in the fact that with all of the media nowadays it's a race to see who publishes the Big News first. In this particular incident the topic was jumped on and published without double checking references and whatnot in order to beat the other papers or other media outlets from doing it first.

:lol: Unfortunately they shot themselves on the foot with that one.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
they could have broken the story without using the picture and brazen headline. Taheri's article wasn't that bad but if you know his work (and I tend to follow it) he does have a way of lining up facts you need to be cautious about. what the NP made of it was nothing short of unconfirmed sensationalism and damaging at that.

how many folks do you figure walked past that front page on the way to work and never found out about the retraction?

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

BitWhys said:
they could have broken the story without using the picture and brazen headline. Taheri's article wasn't that bad but if you know his work (and I tend to follow it) he does have a way of lining up facts you need to be cautious about. what the NP made of it was nothing short of unconfirmed sensationalism and damaging at that.

how many folks do you figure walked past that front page on the way to work and never found out about the retraction?

I guess when it comes down to it, it's the bottom line that counts. The more Absurd and loud the message, the more it will sell.