Canada Increases Assistance to Darfur

Do you support the decision to increase financial aid to the Sudan?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't know / Prefer not to respond

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada, today announced that the Government of Canada would be increasing the funds directed toward foreign assistance for the Republic of the Sudan, for humanitarian assistance and peace support, in light of the signing of the recent Darfur Peace Agreement. The Government is prepared to increase support to the Sudan to forty million dollars (+CA$40 000 000) at once.

The [color=blue said:
Rt. Hon. Stephen Harper[/color], P.C., M.P.,]Canada will act. And I am here today to announce how. [...] Our government will pursue a two-pronged approach, splitting our efforts between the provision of humanitarian aid and peace support assistance. Combined, these efforts will help to normalize and stabilize the region, the first step necessary if the peace process is to succeed.

Click here to read the entire statement in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire le communiqué entier en français.
:arrow: My Opinion Re: Increased Support for the Sudan

I support this particular endeavour of the Government; this is a way for us to be active in some sort of capacity in an effort to restore order to the Sudan (and Darfur, in particular), while continuing to concentrate our Canadian Forces in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. I recognize that some members may not think that this amount of money is adequate (and in an aggregate scale, of course it's not), but I would suggest that this is a major, and a welcomed, step up.

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Office of the Prime Minister of Canada.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It would seem that the Honourable Keith Martin, P.C., M.P., the Member for Esquimalt—Juan de Fuca and the Canadian International Development Agency Critic for Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, does not approve of the present strategy of the Government in relation to Darfur. I would agree with his assertion that the Government should state its intentions in Darfur — I would wonder whether today's (yesterday's, if you're on Eastern time) announced increase in funds is a "start-up" of something bigger?

The [color=red said:
Hon. Keith Martin[/color], P.C., M.P.,]The Conservative government must stop skirting the issue and definitively state their intentions in Darfur. The Canadian public and the residents of Darfur deserve to know the details of this aid announcement. We need to understand the extent to which we are going to become an active participant in stopping one of the worst humanitarian crises in the world.

Click here to read the entire statement in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire le communiqué entier en français.
:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Liberal Party of Canada.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
One of the guests of Rob Breakenridge tonight mentioned that the Canadian guesture was designed to get the ball rolling, so to speak, and get others to step up to the plate with their donations.

I fully support this decision made by the Government of Canada.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
The [color=red said:
Hon. Keith Martin[/color], P.C., M.P.,]The Conservative government must stop skirting the issue and definitively state their intentions in Darfur. The Canadian public and the residents of Darfur deserve to know the details of this aid announcement. We need to understand the extent to which we are going to become an active participant in stopping one of the worst humanitarian crises in the world.

With all respect Five, this comment from Mr. Martin is nothing but bull-plop. The Darfur incident has been on for closing on three years now. No one has paid it enough attention, not the Liberals, not the Conservatives, not the NDP. I am so tired of this empty pandering from both sides.

At this point, fourty million dollars is all Canada is going to be able to give. There is zero chance of the Canadian Military intervening with or without help from another power. Frankly that is the extent that we can participate; right now we're busy else where.

We can try and convince France, Germany, et al, to go in and help but after three years of this tragedy still occuring, no one has had the fortitude to do anything about it. Shame on them.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
LittleRunningGag, with due respect, Mr. Martin has been an advocate for intervening in Darfur for quite some time, including during his time as a member of the previous Government of Canada. He only ceased speaking out when he was invited to become a Parliamentary Secretary to a Minister of the Crown, at which point he had to stay in the shadow of the solidarity of the Canadian Ministry. In most cases I would agree with you, but not in the case of Mr. Martin.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
LittleRunningGag said:
The [color=red said:

With all respect Five, this comment from Mr. Martin is nothing but bull-plop. The Darfur incident has been on for closing on three years now. No one has paid it enough attention, not the Liberals, not the Conservatives, not the NDP. I am so tired of this empty pandering from both sides.

At this point, fourty million dollars is all Canada is going to be able to give. There is zero chance of the Canadian Military intervening with or without help from another power. Frankly that is the extent that we can participate; right now we're busy else where.

We can try and convince France, Germany, et al, to go in and help but after three years of this tragedy still occuring, no one has had the fortitude to do anything about it. Shame on them.

I agree, where are all these morally bankrupt swine when it comes down to it. They are more concerned with lambasting the US I guess.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
LittleRunningGag said:
One of the guests of Rob Breakenridge tonight mentioned that the Canadian guesture was designed to get the ball rolling, so to speak, and get others to step up to the plate with their donations.

I fully support this decision made by the Government of Canada.

I agree with the both of you, hopefully this will get the ball rollin and the troops movin....won't hold my breath though

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would support Canada embarking on a mission in the Republic of the Sudan, provided that we don't have to divert resources from our intervention in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan to do so. I would suggest that unless something drastic happens, our commitment in Afghanistan should take precedence until it is reasonably completed.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: RE: Canada Increases Assistance to Darfur

FiveParadox said:
I would support Canada embarking on a mission in the Republic of the Sudan, provided that we don't have to divert resources from our intervention in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan to do so. I would suggest that unless something drastic happens, our commitment in Afghanistan should take precedence until it is reasonably completed.

your right, and it shall....at least until the Liberals get a new leader who may or may not choose to use Afghanistan negatively to get elected.