Harper and Howard Shun Kyoto for AP6

What should the Government of Canada do, in relation to the Kyoto Accord and AP6?

• Keep the Kyoto Accord and join AP6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep the Kyoto Accord and do not join AP6

• Leave the Kyoto Accord and join AP6

• Leave the Kyoto Accord and do not join AP6

• Don't know / Prefer not to respond

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Lloyd St. Amand, M.P., the Member for Brant and the Environment Associate Critic for Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, is contending that the present Government of Canada, led by the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada, has made underhanded and deliberate efforts to undermine the world effort for climate change at the United Nations Conferences of the Parties to the Kyoto Protocol.

Mr. St. Amand expressed concerns that the Honourable Rona Ambrose, P.C., M.P., the Member for Edmonton—Spruce Grove and the Minister of the Environment, is engaged in efforts to sign onto the Asia Pacific Partnership and Clean Development and Climate, led by the United States of America. The Prime Minister seemed to indicate an interest in opting into AP6 during a conference with the Honourable John Howard, the Prime Minister of the Commonwealth of Australia.

[color=red said:
Lloyd St. Amand[/color], M.P.,]Instead of supporting the only legally binding international agreement that addresses the threat of climate change, Canada's Environment Minister insists on uttering defeatist and absurd rhetoric to justify abdicating her responsibility as chair of the Kyoto conference in Bonn. [...] She now appears willing to sign a made in the U.S.A. plan of non-action. Canada's reputation as a leader on the international stage has been tarnished, and Canadians should realize this.

Click here to read the entire statement in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire le communiqué entier en français.
:?: My Opinion Re: Harper's Inclination Toward AP6

My opinion on the fact that Ms. Ambrose chose to act as the chairperson of the conference is rather simple: She shouldn't have done so, and the Government of Canada should not have let her. The Government has ignored the advice and recommendation of the House of Commons in terms of a motion from the Bloc Québécois urging them to respect and endeavour toward our targets under the accord, and moving even further from the opinion of the House.

If Mr. Harper and Ms. Ambrose are going to continue to bash the Kyoto Accord, in the interest of a "made-in-Canada" solution, then perhaps it's time for the Government to present its "solution" to this most serious of issues — unless, of course, it has no plan or strategy for the future of the environment of this nation. I would hope that the opposition parties were not intimidated by the pressure and covert threats from Mr. Howard and that, rather, they continue in their efforts to ensure that the Kyoto Accord continues — even if the accord is on life-support until the Conservative Party of Canada is returned to the opposition benches.

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Liberal Party of Canada.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Interesting this comic Jo Canadian, are we to assume big bad Bush controls everybody on the planet who disagrees with Kyoto? If so, what does that tell you about the people who elect leaders who bend over?

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
I think not said:
Interesting this comic Jo Canadian, are we to assume big bad Bush controls everybody on the planet who disagrees with Kyoto? If so, what does that tell you about the people who elect leaders who bend over?

Nah, I just thought it looked funny.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The Tories seem intent on destroying progress that has been made on all kinds of things from daycare to this accord.
Harper is so intent on snuggling up to Bush he can't see how this will impact him in the future. By the time the election rolls around there will be plenty of talk about the beginning of Harpers hiddend agenda. The sooner we are rid of this guy the better.

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
RE: Harper and Howard Shu

Let me understand this.

It's progress to sign onto an agreement that does absolutely nothing to slow, reduce or manage in anyway climate change. It's also progress to build a multi billion dollar program to alleviate parents from their responsibilities.

But it is progress to be anti-american.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't think that's the point, Vicious.

The Honourable Rona Ambrose, P.C., M.P., the Member for Edmonton—Spruce Grove and the Minister of the Environment has presented no strategy whatsoever in relation to climate change or greenhouse gas emissions. She has said that we need a "made-in-Canada" solution, but she has yet to inform us as to what that is. I think she's just grandstanding, to be honest.

Then again, maybe this is yet another topic under their press brown-out.

yballa09

Electoral Member
Sep 8, 2005
Rexburg, Idaho
I seem to be struggling to comprehend this situation, so if anyone can help me out feel free to do so.

When the Liberal party signed on to the kyoto accord, it was a legally binding agreement to reduce greenhouse gases by a certain % (ive forgotten what it is) by the year 2012? And since then greenhouse gases have risen by 20 something percent, which makes us one of the worst offenders in the world since the agreement. Now, i do want us to stick with kyoto, or at least strive to follow some form of the agreement, but it seems like it is almost impossible for us to reach the targets set back in the 90's by the liberals. And what punishments would be inflicted on us by this 'legally binding agreement' if we do not meet the target?

I would be happy enough for the moment if we could at least begin to reduce these emissions, not necessarily to the target that we said we would a while back, but at least stop the increase which has been happening since we signed on to the kyoto accord.

If there are any other details that i am not aware of or have not taken into consideration soneone please inform me.

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
Re: RE: Harper and Howard Shun Kyoto for AP6

FiveParadox said:

The Honourable Rona Ambrose, P.C., M.P., the Member for Edmonton—Spruce Grove and the Minister of the Environment has presented no strategy whatsoever in relation to climate change or greenhouse gas emissions. She has said that we need a "made-in-Canada" solution, but she has yet to inform us as to what that is. I think she's just grandstanding, to be honest.

Then again, maybe this is yet another topic under their press brown-out.

The national post had an article today about the results of a Liberal governement commissioned study to pump green house gas emissions underground.
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=7a2ca419-c38b-48c9-b0be-1cc68f3b9e39

I too, anxiously await the policies that the government put it place to deal with pollution and air/water quality.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
yballa09 said:
...And since then greenhouse gases have risen by 20 something percent...

no

actually

right now we're 35% above target = 29% above 1990 levels

BUT

we were already at 25.9% at the end 2003, just after Kyoto was ratified, which means we've risen around 1% per year since Kyoto was ratified. That's half the pace as before even though the tarsands have sped up.

Turns out that's enough for Rona to sound the alarm and the Liberals to roll over and play dead.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
btw

So far the AP6 looks like nothing more than a corporate glossy to me.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
what do...

Lithuania
Latvia
Estonia
Poland
Hungary
Slovak Republic
Czech Republic
Luxembourg
UK
Sweden
Germany
France
Netherlands
and Belgium have in common?

Toro

Senate Member
Re: RE: Harper and Howard Shun Kyoto for AP6

FiveParadox said:

The Honourable Rona Ambrose, P.C., M.P., the Member for Edmonton—Spruce Grove and the Minister of the Environment has presented no strategy whatsoever in relation to climate change or greenhouse gas emissions.

Well, they're just continuing with the previous government's policies then, aren't they?

Actually, that's not fair. The Liberal Crime Syndicate had a strategy. They just weren't doing anything about.

Apart from running on it as a cynical electoral platform that is.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006

They were doing more than the PC are now. I'd bother to question how the Conservatives can actually cut programs that by your description couldn't possibly have existed but I've already learned to expect less than nothing from Conservatives.

yballa09

Electoral Member
Sep 8, 2005
Rexburg, Idaho
BitWhys said:
yballa09 said:
...And since then greenhouse gases have risen by 20 something percent...

no

actually

right now we're 35% above target = 29% above 1990 levels

no
actually
29% would be 20 something percent.

I said in the 90's, not 1990, but thanks for putting words in my mouth. canada ratified the treaty in 2002, but if im not mistaken, they SIGNED on to the protocol in the 90's.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006

no

actually we didn't sign the treaty in 1990.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006

don't tell me what the point is. I raised it.

and I'd hardly call a difference of 13 years a technicality.