Do Politicians care about Soldiers??

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
So watching CPAC I wonder, do politicians care about soldiers??

I came quickly to this decision and I believe all Politicians at least in the Canadian parliment dont care about Canadian soldiers.

I don't care if they are conservative, liberal, NDP, or BQ they are not concerned about soldiers. At least, party politics comes before soldiers and caring about soldiers.

So I believe they do not believe in Canadian soldiers.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
RE: Do Politicians care a

What do you expect them to do? Yes, they are politicians and they will act accordingly. What, realistically, can they do to meet your expectations?

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Do Politicians care a

Soldiers in this Nation have never been cared about Jersay, unless of course it served a political agenda. For decades the men and women who silently defend this Nation have been largely ignored by the very people we serve. Ever wonder why we're so short of equipment, vehicles, munitions? It all stems from an utter lack of respect for the CF. To Joe-Canadian, a military serves no practical purpose. We're not DIRECTLY threatened, so why should we maintain a robust military? This incognizant thinking has been something that has dogged Canadian society since 1900, and has gotten worse with time. Couple that with the fact that Wars often errupt violently, and end quickly, and a Nation has a receipe for disaster. Where in the past it was once feasible to take 6 months to raise and train an Army, in todays age, Wars seldom last that long. Our Government doesn't help, they infact embody the same ideals as the general populace "where's the direct threat?". Chretien himself once told the media that "we don't need to by transport aircraft to sit on a runway when we can rent them when we need them". That stance is the epitome of the Canadian Government. The Conservative Party is by far the lesser of the evils. I believe they do support the CF, and they want what's best for it, however I feel that they're unwilling to make ALL the sacrifices needed to obtain those goals; as highlighted by the recent budget. In all, the Canadian Forces, and it's members, are often over worked, under funded, and over looked by Canadians. It's something we've become used to.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
CsL, Mtl, Qc, Ca, NA, Er, SS,MW, Un
Of course they don't care.
I don't think that they don't believe in soldiers, but they got plenty of other things to do. And the politicians has not much to do with the soldiers as well. It's the army who wants the war; who wants to train soldiers in real battle; who wants old equipment to be changed; who wants to get promotions; who wants more money.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Well I'll give the only truthful answer to this question... I don't know because I'm not them. There is a complex individual question here which brings your moral and belief practicies into question. I'd say from the New Democrats to the Conservatives each belief system would care for there soldiers in there own way. Now as an individual politician is a different story because unless they have stated. "I don't like our soldiers" I think there is no way to really know. Not supporting a war doesn't mean you don't support the soldiers. The Nazi's and Germans loved their soldiers, that doesn't mean the war was right.

If you ask me personally I think most of our politicians from left to right care deeply for each life they send out with a gun and a mission, for each death to effect them personally. Canada has not been involved in a war which has cost the lives of too many soldiers for a few generations now so the effect of losing one still hurts the nation greatly. I hope this never changes.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Re: RE: Do Politicians care a

Mogz said:
Soldiers in this Nation have never been cared about Jersay, unless of course it served a political agenda. For decades the men and women who silently defend this Nation have been largely ignored by the very people we serve. Ever wonder why we're so short of equipment, vehicles, munitions? It all stems from an utter lack of respect for the CF. To Joe-Canadian, a military serves no practical purpose. We're not DIRECTLY threatened, so why should we maintain a robust military? This incognizant thinking has been something that has dogged Canadian society since 1900, and has gotten worse with time. Couple that with the fact that Wars often errupt violently, and end quickly, and a Nation has a receipe for disaster. Where in the past it was once feasible to take 6 months to raise and train an Army, in todays age, Wars seldom last that long. Our Government doesn't help, they infact embody the same ideals as the general populace "where's the direct threat?". Chretien himself once told the media that "we don't need to by transport aircraft to sit on a runway when we can rent them when we need them". That stance is the epitome of the Canadian Government. The Conservative Party is by far the lesser of the evils. I believe they do support the CF, and they want what's best for it, however I feel that they're unwilling to make ALL the sacrifices needed to obtain those goals; as highlighted by the recent budget. In all, the Canadian Forces, and it's members, are often over worked, under funded, and over looked by Canadians. It's something we've become used to.

Monz, excellent post. One of the biggest problems facing the Canadian Military today is men power reproduction, meaning the reserve pool of men and women entering the military is quite small compeer to the civilian labour force. So, in order for Canada to sustain any reasonable level of reserves we have to offer sweet incentives in order to entice the young in military careers. Canada looks bad in the eyes of the world with a very limited men power military. The only time Canada’s military should be the best is when Canada gets directly attacked. Canada has no business in any other part of the world but here at home. Afghanistan will be Harpers down fall.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine

With all that Mogz has said, I agree totally with his post after he has stated it. And I think the military is only a tool for each party to use in its own way, the cons or the NDP or the Libs or ordinary people.

So even though Mogz and I seem to be on different political spectrums because I support the NDP, we can agree on most issues when it come to the military.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
So even though Mogz and I seem to be on different political spectrums because I support the NDP, we can agree on most issues when it come to the military.

Exactly my thoughts buddy. While I do believe that soldiers can view the political World differently, I don't feel that soldiers should be divided on their needs and/or wants. In all, we should all be on the same page.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Re: RE: Do Politicians care about Soldiers??

Mogz said:

Exactly my thoughts buddy. While I do believe that soldiers can view the political World differently, I don't feel that soldiers should be divided on their needs and/or wants. In all, we should all be on the same page.

I absolutely agree with you on this point because we can have all our different political spectrums, but this issue, the military is deep to all of us. Because we are comrades and we want funding and equipment and supplies that will ensure that we are all safe and protected when we go on an overseas mission or a natural disaster deployment even if we have different political backgrounds.