New Members on Appointments Commission

Are you in favour of the appointments announced today to the Public Appointments Commission?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, for some

• No

• Don't know / Prefer not to respond

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Today, it was announced by the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada, that three new persons had been appointed to serve as Commissioners of the Public Appointments Commission. The Public Appointments Commission is responsible for overseeing and reviewing the appointments made by the Government of Canada, under the provisions set forth in Bill C-2 (which is presently before the Legislative Committee of the House of Commons on the Bill C-2, being considered at the committee stage).

The [color=blue said:
Rt. Hon. Stephen Harper[/color], P.C., M.P.,]Establishing the Public Appointments Commission is an important step toward a more open, honest and accountable government for Canadians. [...] The Commissioners will ensure our appointments system is based on merit and is done in an open and transparent way. And, they have agreed to work for a salary of $1 a year.

Click here to read the entire statement in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire le communiqué entier en français.
:arrow: My Opinion Re: Appointments to Commission

Mr. Harper appointed Jaquelin Boutet, C.M., Hassan Khosrowshahi, and the Honourable Roy MacLaren, P.C., as commissioners; however, I have concerns over some of these appointments. The three appointees continue to serve as members of boards of directors and trustees in various organizations and corporations, and I would argue that commissioners to review appointments should not have any other paid office during their term; perhaps it would be prudent to give these commissioners complete salaries, and restrict them from serving on corporations during their service.

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Office of the Prime Minister of Canada.