Neo-con scum resigns chair

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Tory MP resigns as committee chair
Last Updated Wed, 10 May 2006 14:19:41 EDT
CBC News

A member of Parliament from Saskatoon who suggested judges are too activist and play God with the law has resigned as chairman of the Commons' aboriginal affairs committee.

But in his resignation letter, Maurice Vellacott does not cite his remarks as his reason for stepping down, blaming instead the Liberals' "reckless partisan nature" on the committee.

"They seem to think that they have some divine right to govern and it is greatly upsetting to them when the public judges otherwise," he writes.

"Unfortunately, in this case, I fear that their agenda of bitter partisanship will submerge aboriginal issues and make it extremely difficult to accomplish anything productive on behalf of our aboriginal brothers and sisters in this committee in this parliament."

While he commends the contributions of two Bloc MPs, he said he is submitting his resignation because "the tone of the committee has been so poisoned by the tactic" of Liberal MP Anita Neville.

Vellacott's resignation comes as a Liberal motion was to be introduced Wednesday to remove him as chairman. It apparently had support from the New Democrats and the Bloc Québécois.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper had rejected calls for the resignation of Vellacott, saying he had withdrawn some of his comments and that his remarks did not represent the views of the government.

The controversy surrounds comments Vellacott made to CBC-TV on the weekend.

"I don't think it is the role of the judge…to actually figure to play the position of God," he said.

He then singled out Beverley McLachlin, the chief justice of Canada.

The Tory MP claimed McLachlin "herself said actually when they step into this role that suddenly there's some kind of mystical power that comes over them, which everything that they've ever decreed is not to be questioned."

In a rare response, the chief justice denied through a spokeswoman she said anything like that.

Vellacott issued an apology on Monday on his website.

"I may have given the impression that in that speech she expressly said that she had god-like powers.

"I acknowledge that Ms. McLachlin did not literally use those words. I regret the misunderstanding that was created. I extend my apologies to her in this regard.''

Vellacott's appointment had caused concern among aboriginal groups. Two years ago, he angered native groups in Saskatchewan when he defended two Saskatoon police officers convicted of dropping a native man on the outskirts of the city on a freezing night.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RE: Neo-con scum resigns

This is why Harper has to keep his brain-dead cabinet muzzled, everytime they get loose they'll insult the intelligence in Canada and reveal thier American Republican heritage, most of them are not fit to be Canadians let alone members of parliment.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Neo-con scum resigns

darkbeaver said:
This is why Harper has to keep his brain-dead cabinet muzzled, everytime they get loose they'll insult the intelligence in Canada and reveal thier American Republican heritage, most of them are not fit to be Canadians let alone members of parliment.

Canadians are known for their politness DB....so I asume then your not fit to be Canadian either.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
This is actually great news, it gives the neo-con scum an opportunity to do some real dirty work without being under the spotlight of the public. :D

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It waas hilarious (and disturbing) to watch Liberals attack Harper and the Justice Minister in QP today over this.

I guess MPs are now not allowed to have opinions.....it is a shame that Vellacott resigned.

The Liberals have stacked the courst with sympathizers, they have blocked every attempt to get public input into the process of appointment, and now, the absolote hypocracy of them damning an MP for criticizing the courts"s neutrality.........it's like something out of Monty Python.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
74rd 5cum makes up his own "Headline" with no Link..

:roll:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Re: RE: Neo-con scum resigns chair

Colpy said:
It waas hilarious (and disturbing) to watch Liberals attack Harper and the Justice Minister in QP today over this.

I guess MPs are now not allowed to have opinions.....it is a shame that Vellacott resigned.

The Liberals have stacked the courst with sympathizers, they have blocked every attempt to get public input into the process of appointment, and now, the absolote hypocracy of them damning an MP for criticizing the courts"s neutrality.........it's like something out of Monty Python.

Hey man I'll take anything you through at me,but when you start trashing Monty Python, that's my limit of tolerance.
I demand an instant grovelling apology from you. :lol:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Johnny Utah said:

Thanks for the bold headline IdahoJohn, it's good to have your help spreading the word. The article is from CBC, that's the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation for those of you unfamiliar with the institution it runs radio and TV in Canada. :lol:

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
maybe this time around Harper will make his choice based on talent rather than geography.

hey Colpy. You watched qp? I missed a small part of it. That deal the parliamentary secretary claimed doesn't exist, was he talking about that the Ontario infrastructure deal McGuinty wants answer to?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Neo-con scum resigns chair

darkbeaver said:
Colpy said:

Hey man I'll take anything you through at me,but when you start trashing Monty Python, that's my limit of tolerance.

I demand an instant grovelling apology from you. :lol:

Sorry, sorry, I got carried away........... :D :D

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
BitWhys said:
maybe this time around Harper will make his choice based on talent rather than geography.

hey Colpy. You watched qp? I missed a small part of it. That deal the parliamentary secretary claimed doesn't exist, was he talking about that the Ontario infrastructure deal McGuinty wants answer to?

Sorry, I missed that part.........can't help you.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

Prime Minister Should Demand Hedy Fry's Head
Hedy Fry Smears Prince George:

In Question Period yesterday, Hedy Fry said: “We only have to look around the world today at Kosovo, at Macedonia, at Northern Ireland to know that people are still discriminated against in the world because of their race, their religion and their culture. We do not have to go too far. We can just go to British Columbia where crosses are being burned on lawns as we speak.”

http://www.davidanderson.ca/NewsReleases/March22-2001.htm

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
darkbeaver said:
Johnny Utah said:

Thanks for the bold headline IdahoJohn, it's good to have your help spreading the word. The article is from CBC, that's the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation for those of you unfamiliar with the institution it runs radio and TV in Canada. :lol:
That's $50 for my time.. :lol:

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Colpy said:
BitWhys said:

Sorry, I missed that part.........can't help you.

so k. thanks anyways.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
BitWhys said:

There being a severe shortage of talent in the party I don't see where he can make improvments. The best of the cult already hold positions far above thier pointy little heads. :lol: