Racist COnservative to be canned

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
OTTAWA (CP) - The opposition parties are set to topple Conservative MP Maurice Vellacott as chairman of the Commons aboriginal affairs committee Wednesday for controversial comments about judges and natives.

The Liberals demanded Tuesday that Prime Minister Stephen Harper ask Vellacott to step down. Harper refused, saying Liberals have made far more serious comments in the past about judges than those made by his MP.

A Liberal motion to remove Vellacott as chairman - to be voted on Wednesday - has the backing of the NDP and the Bloc Quebecois, which appears to guarantee its success.

The Saskatchewan MP is under fire for suggestions he made over the weekend that Supreme Court judges play god with the law. He has since retracted some of his remarks and apologized.

But the statements, and earlier ones about aboriginals, have the opposition fuming.

Harper's choice of Vellacott for the job of committee chairman stirred earlier protest because the MP had defended two Saskatoon policemen convicted of dumping a native man on the outskirts of town in freezing weather.

Interim Liberal leader Bill Graham says it's "outrageous" that Harper chose someone who holds stereotypical views of aboriginals to head the committee.

Opposition politicians aren't the only ones angry over Vellacott's comments about judges.

The Canadian Bar Association issued a statement Tuesday calling on the prime minister to insist that Vellacott resign immediately as chair of the committee.

It said the MP's remarks about the chief justice of Canada undermine public confidence in the justice system.

http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/NationalNewsArticle.htm?src=n0509131A.xml

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
I saw the news conference where these "inflammatory" remarks were made. Give me a break. In Canada you cannot make anything but good comments about unelected and appointed judges? What the hell kind of a country is this, anyway. What he said was bang on, and if the judges don't like it, then maybe they do protest too much.

I have not heard the comments about aboriginals, so will not comment one way or another on this.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Jersay said:
We are not America thank you very much. Harper should be happy, he gets to appoint as many con judges as he wants, without opposition to his choices.

And where exactly did I mention America? Oh, maybe you are referring to my comments about Unelected, Unnaccountable, and political appointed judges? If so, then yes, I think we need to take a look at how our Supreme Court Judges are selected. Simply being friendly to any political party is not a good enough reason, and there should be some vetting, in my opinion. You know full well that even if Harper were inclined to do so, there are no openings at present, I believe, although I stand to be corrected.

We have a stupid situation in this country where a politically appointed body (Senate) can overrule a government, and where another unelected body (Supreme Court) can make laws. Personally I dislike both, and to have nine people out of 32 million make laws is absolutely incredible.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Oops! I appear to have posted a survey regarding this very topic, Jersay. You submitted your post around the same time as mine, hehe. You don't think the Moderators and the Administrators would mind if both threads kicked around for a while, do you? :oops:

I support the motion to censure Maurice Vellacott, M.P., the Member for Saskatoon—Wenuskewin. As I mentioned in another thread, I don't think that any Member of Parliament should throw the Supreme Court of Canada into disrepute, or attempt to threaten the independence of the institution — constructive criticism of the courts is one thing, but launching personal attacks against the Right Honourable Beverly McLachlin, P.C., the Chief Justice of Canada, is quite another.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
They view the laws and try to give a clearer picture. I don't care about the Senate, blow it up for all I care, its useless to me but the Supreme COurt of Canada is very powerful as it tries to understand what the laws means. In aboriginal issues, as well as many others, for example that House party ruling this week.

Some people might not like that, but I like it.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
[i said:
bluealberta[/i]]And where exactly did I mention America? Oh, maybe you are referring to my comments about Unelected, Unnaccountable, and political appointed judges? If so, then yes, I think we need to take a look at how our Supreme Court Judges are selected. Simply being friendly to any political party is not a good enough reason, and there should be some vetting, in my opinion. You know full well that even if Harper were inclined to do so, there are no openings at present, I believe, although I stand to be corrected.
I have no idea why the United States of America came into this discussion, so I am going to avoid that topic entirely. However, as for the method of appointing the Puisne Justices and the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada, I would argue that the method we now have (the historic practice of appointing qualified persons without partisan interrogation, with the initiatives of both the Liberal Party of Canada and the Conservative Party of Canada incorporated therein) serves us quite well — I would be vehemently opposed to the election of our justices.

[i said:
bluealberta[/i]]We have a stupid situation in this country where a politically appointed body (Senate) can overrule a government, and where another unelected body (Supreme Court) can make laws. Personally I dislike both, and to have nine people out of 32 million make laws is absolutely incredible.
This member should know quite well that there are mechanisms in place for the House of Commons to overrule the Senate of Canada in the event that some sort of long-term disagreement occurs; as for the assertion that the nine justices on the Supreme Court are somehow capable of "[making] laws", I completely disagree. I don't remember seeing any pieces of legislation introduced lately, with the endorsement of the Chief Justice.

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
its interesting that that an MP can publicly support a crime
ie the hate crime performed by the dirty phuck faced racist saskatoon police force

he should be charged with sedition
tried
convicted by a god-like judge and sentenced to 2-3 years minimum
when he gets out
in mid january
strip him
drive him out in the middle of a prarie waste land and make him walk to the US border
and deport him

the problem with the legal system in this country is its way too soft on vellacotts type
we need much tougher penalties for this sort of thing--

and of course for corporate crime

for example
i would support the death penalty for that
ie the alan eagleson and conrad black type of thing

it about time we got tough with these parasites

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: RE: Racist COnservative to be canned

cortezzz said:
ie the hate crime performed by the dirty phuck faced racist saskatoon police force

tried
when he gets out
in mid january
strip him
drive him out in the middle of a prarie waste land and make him walk to the US border
and deport him

the problem with the legal system in this country is its way too soft on vellacotts type

for example

:roll: ... right.

Um, no. I would hardly describe this post as being constructive¹. While I would agree that his role as the chairperson of a committee should be withdrawn from his person, I don't think that there are any grounds to put charges on him for this. He was expressing his own opinion, after all — however, the way in which he exercised this right, as a Member of Parliament, was unacceptable.

:!: Revision : (1) Corrected a typo.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Jersay said:
OTTAWA (CP) - The opposition parties are set to topple Conservative MP Maurice Vellacott as chairman of the Commons aboriginal affairs committee Wednesday for controversial comments about judges and natives.

The Liberals demanded Tuesday that Prime Minister Stephen Harper ask Vellacott to step down. Harper refused, saying Liberals have made far more serious comments in the past about judges than those made by his MP.

A Liberal motion to remove Vellacott as chairman - to be voted on Wednesday - has the backing of the NDP and the Bloc Quebecois, which appears to guarantee its success.

The Saskatchewan MP is under fire for suggestions he made over the weekend that Supreme Court judges play god with the law. He has since retracted some of his remarks and apologized.

But the statements, and earlier ones about aboriginals, have the opposition fuming.

Harper's choice of Vellacott for the job of committee chairman stirred earlier protest because the MP had defended two Saskatoon policemen convicted of dumping a native man on the outskirts of town in freezing weather.

Interim Liberal leader Bill Graham says it's "outrageous" that Harper chose someone who holds stereotypical views of aboriginals to head the committee.

Opposition politicians aren't the only ones angry over Vellacott's comments about judges.

The Canadian Bar Association issued a statement Tuesday calling on the prime minister to insist that Vellacott resign immediately as chair of the committee.

It said the MP's remarks about the chief justice of Canada undermine public confidence in the justice system.

These comments were wrong, but it's Hypocrtical of the Liberals to demand something on an issue like this when Hedy Fry claimed crosses were being burned on lawns in Prince George and wasn't canned.. :roll:

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
Re: RE: Racist COnservative to be canned

FiveParadox said:
cortezzz said:

tried
when he gets out
in mid january
strip him
and deport him

for example

:roll: ... right.

Um, no. I would hardly describe this post as being constructive¹. While I would agree that his role as the chairperson of a committee should be withdrawn from his person, I don't think that there are any grounds to put charges on him for this. He was expressing his own opinion, after all — however, the way in which he exercised this right, as a Member of Parliament, was unacceptable.

:!: Revision : (1) Corrected a typo.

oh really--- just expessing his opinion regarding a murder committed by police officers...

ok-- heres my opinion

hang him

Grit86

May 8, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Discrimination works both ways.

While I'm obviously against bigotry and oppression, I think it's rather pig-headed to accuse someone of being a racist for half-hearted reasons. What Mr. Vellacott did was questionable, I don't think he deserves to weather allegations of being a racist. Let's encourage discussion without petty name-calling, thank you!

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
no--
your right
someone who publicly defends a racially motivated murder
isnt a racist

sure

whatever you say

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
The system in Canada is racist and overtly discriminates against aboriginals. Again as I posted yesterday Canada does not have the resources or will to pursue organized crime, government officials (simply an extension of the organized crime sector in my opinion), or white collar criminals. There are though plenty of resources for pursuing and incarcerating aboriginals.

So the comments of our dear MP are racist in that they are upholding differential treatment of Canadians by law enforcement officers where the sole criteria is race. It is definitely a human rights violation. It is also a violation of the charter as it constitutes cruel and unusual punishment. I also think it should be a criminal offense for public officials to make remarks that essentially condone and reinforce racist practises.

http://www.aidslaw.ca/Maincontent/issues/prisons/e-info-pa10.htm

While less than three percent of the national population is Aboriginal, Aboriginal people represent 15 percent of the federal prisoner population.

In the Prairie Region of the Correctional Service of Canada (CSC), Aboriginal people account for 64 percent of the prisoner population.

A male treaty Indian is 25 times more likely to be incarcerated in provincial jail than a non-Native.

A female treaty Indian is 131 times more likely to be incarcerated in provincial jail than a non-Native.

While Aboriginal people make up only six to seven percent of the general population in Manitoba and Saskatchewan, they comprise 72 percent of the provincial jail admissions in Manitoba and 55 percent in Saskatchewan.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Jersay said:

We are starting to see what the conservators are for real, a bunch of $#%!$## &($(^