Ontario's link to Kyoto

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
shame

Prime Minister Stephen Harper says it will be impossible for Canada to meet its target for cutting greenhouse gases in the six years remaining under the Kyoto accord on climate change.

That may be true, but Canada could still go a long way toward closing the 30 per cent gap between its current emissions levels and the target it agreed to under the Kyoto accord.

Ontario alone could bring emissions 10 per cent closer to Canada's Kyoto target just by following through on Premier Dalton McGuinty's pledge to close the province's four coal-fired electricity generating plants by 2009.

Recognizing the importance of that fact, former prime minister Paul Martin committed $538 million over five years to help Queen's Park achieve that goal.

But following last week's budget, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty wrote to Queen's Park informing the government that Ottawa was reneging on that deal made by Martin.

Flaherty said the reason was that the Harper government was developing its own "made-in-Canada" plan to cut emissions and would not be negotiating funding arrangements with the provinces until that process was complete.

But what could be more "made-in-Canada" than the plan to shut the coal-fired plants, which represents the single largest initiative to reduce greenhouse gases in the country?

By taking the $538 million off the table, Ontario may also have to reassess any plans it was developing to possibly replacing some of the power from the coal plants with clean hydro-generated electricity from Manitoba and Quebec. Without such federal financial assistance, already complex negotiations for the construction of interprovincial transmission lines will be in doubt.

In last week's budget, Flaherty set aside $2 billion over five years to combat global warming, which is considerably less than the previous government had committed.

Even so, if he could find just three other projects with the same potential to cut greenhouse gas emissions as the closing of Ontario's coal-fired plants, that limited amount of money alone could narrow Canada's Kyoto gap by a significant 40 per cent.

What that figure shows is just how important the Ontario plan is.

It also shows why Flaherty should have no hesitation whatsoever in helping to fund it even if the Conservative made-in-Canada scheme is still on the drawing board.

Of course it doesn't help anyone to simply give up when you can lower the numbers in one fell swoop like that so in that light I can see where Ambrose's handlers are coming from.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I'm not keen on being dependant on other provinces to fuel our power needs.

Also the coal fire plant shutdowns may not be the answer we are looking for, maybe we need to clean up the emissions from those coal generators, and from my understanding Dolton is turning the coal fires into natural gas burners. I wonder what that will do to the price of natural gas in Ontario.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
yeah you're right. better to wait for Harper to tell the provinces how to handle it.

my bad.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
We can act, we should just make sure we are making good decisions, and that isn't something Dolton is famous for.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
maybe

but he sure can be funny...

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060509.wottont0509/BNStory/National/home said:
Dalton McGuinty[/url]] ...I look forward to bringing it to the Prime Minister's attention again and again.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
:)

If I were him I wouldn't go begging for federal funds, I would with hold them from the feds.

We need a Premier with balls, not scabbed over knees.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Re: RE: Ontario's link to Kyoto

Jay said:

If I were him I wouldn't go begging for federal funds, I would with hold them from the feds.

oh come on Jay. Its not like Ontario mails Ottawa a cheque to cover transfer payments once a year. That's federal income tax money he's talking about here.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks for posting that,

For one thing I learned that
In last week's budget, Flaherty set aside $2 billion over five years to combat global warming, which is considerably less than the previous government had committed.

I didn't think there was a dime left for GWarming.

The Ontario plan is news to me too, being a BC boy. It sure seems like the right one to go ahead with, but it looks bad for coal if we finger it out as the culprit even if it is the culprit, and Harper's allegiance to the Fossil Fools ]oil industry people] from Calgary won't allow coal to have a dirty name.

I gotta wonder who in their right mind thinks terrorism is a greater threat than global warming? We can argue either one doesn't exist, but the actual likelyhood of any individual being hurt or otherwise badly affected from terrorism is almost nil. Less than "crossing the street" kinda thing. Global warming has allready cost all of us something.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

BitWhys said:
Jay said:

oh come on Jay. Its not like Ontario mails Ottawa a cheque to cover transfer payments once a year. That's federal income tax money he's talking about here.

Sure,whatever, I think we should just stop direct taxation payments to Ottawa.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Karlin said:
I didn't think there was a dime left for GWarming.

besides the bus pass and forestry thing I'm stumped on that one too.

I'd heard about it since it involves investment capital to Manitoba. Not too sure what or if is already committed. Harper doesn't seem to care who he alienates. Why should he when he's got is neocon illusions to keep him warm, I suppose.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
BitWhys said:
go for it and let me know how it goes. k?

Actually we are getting close....Mike Harris mentioned doing it.

I won't need to let you know how it goes....you'll be aware. :)

S-Ranger

Nominee Member
Mar 12, 2005
South Ontario, Toronto District

Jay said:
I'm not keen on being dependant on other provinces to fuel our power needs.

Seconded; by about ten million people. How and why would the Quebecs or Manitobas manage to get grids to our markets? The grids are privately owned, NIMBY (not in MY backyard) hick communities in the Ontarios are going to agree to massive grids cutting through their land to get to South Ontario where the markets are?

They can deal with OPG, and best of luck. McGimpy has no say over the private distribution system.

What exactly would the plan be for the Manitobas, of all places, to get grids to south-central Ontario? Across and down Superior, Huron, James Bay then every north Ontario NIMBY municipality from there on (as if; or they have to start on land OVER Superior and best of luck with that; maybe right through Algonquin Park too) screaming "not in my backyard!"?

And then Manitoba bitches and moans that "South Ontario is sucking the life out of it," as usual. "If only they could keep their own hydro electric power," and on and on.

And what are the Quebecs going to supply? Ottawa and such in very southeast Ontario? Our grids only have so much capacity out in the deserted southeast and NIMBY will not allow new ones to be built in "their" backyards to supply south-central Ontario or southwest Ontario; which is where all the people and businesses are, where all the demand is.

Jay said:
Also the coal fire plant shutdowns may not be the answer we are looking for, maybe we need to clean up the emissions from those coal generators, and from my understanding Dolton is turning the coal fires into natural gas burners. I wonder what that will do to the price of natural gas in Ontario.

Half of the air pollution in the south-central Ontarios comes from the coal-powered plants in the Ohio Valley and more are being built. I think we should just build really big coal-powered FANS to blow it back to them along with our coal-powered emissions, using the exact same "standards" they do until they clean their own standards up.

We have lots and lots of cheap coal, it's the most obvious (and least-expensive) solution to the energy crisis the "Ontario" feds have left south-central "Ontario" in, and use whatever scrubbers they're using south of a "border" that doesn't stop the wind from blowing over it in either direction.

They dump 50% on us, we dump 50% on them; and then perhaps a real solution will be arrived at instead of pretending that there is some "east-west Canada" thing behind some "air pollution wall" that doesn't exist.

S-Ranger

Nominee Member
Mar 12, 2005

Jay said:

Exactly. $85 billion out of the Ontarios last year alone and they return nothing; to here. They hand out plenty to the ROC.

Equalization Entitlements – (2004-05, 2005-06) per person
Sorted by 2005-06 per person ($ millions)

Code:
New Brunswick            1,537  1,793  +256
Newfoundland & Labrador  1,398  1,668  +270
Nova Scotia              1,223  1,432  +209
Manitoba                 1,147  1,359  +212
Figures reflect increases resulting from the new framework on Equalization announced by the Prime Minister following the October 2004 First Ministers' Meeting). These figures incorporate the protection provided to provinces against declines in Equalization. These figures do not include the additional $150 million in Equalization announced in Budget 2004. [Or the 'Atlantic Accord' or 2.5% annual accelerator or plenty of other BS to buy votes at the expense of the Ontarios, as usual.]

Source: Not Long For This World Finance "Canada" - Equalization Program
Date modified (by source): 2005-04-04
Last updated/checked (by me): 2005-01-25
_____

MAJOR (nowhere near all) "Federal" Transfers to Provinces and Territories
2004-05 and 2005-06 sorted from the highest, per person, to the lowest for 2005-06.

CAD dollars ($) per person (per capita, same thing) in confederate transfers to each province and territory for fiscal years 2004-05 and 2005-06, the percentage (%) the amount of the transfers are of total jurisdiction's revenues (pittances of confederate tax returns for Ontario, Québec, BC and Alberta; confederate handouts for everything else; on top of getting 100% of all federal receipts collected from them back) -- but for the previous fiscal year. Confused? Welcome to the Canadas.

Code:
Northwest Territories    $16,633   78% $17,951   80%  UP  2%
Yukon Territory          $15,727   76% $16,818   78%  UP  2%

Prince Edward Island     $ 2,930   39%  $3,291   42%  UP  3%
New Brunswick            $ 2,739   36%  $3,111   39%  UP  3%
Newfoundland & Labrador  $ 2,449   32%  $2,966   34%  UP  2%*
Nova Scotia              $ 2,455   39%  $2,793   42%  UP  3%
Manitoba                 $ 2,428   38%  $2,717   40%  UP  2%

Quebec                   $ 1,757   25%  $2,052   26%  UP  1%
British Columbia         $ 1,383   18%  $1,570   19%  UP  1%
Saskatchewan             $ 1,332   20%  $1,487   28%  UP  8%**
Ontario                  $ 1,322   21%  $1,487   21%  UP  0%
Alberta                  $ 1,321   16%  $1,486   16%  UP  0%

Territories Total        $58,335   81% $62,830   83%  UP  2%
Atlantic Canadas Total   $10,573   37% $12,161   39%  UP  3%
Prairies Total           $ 5,081   63% $ 5,690   73%  UP 10%

Ontario and Québec Total $ 3,079   36% $ 3,539   37%  UP  1%

Rest - (ON+QC) Total     $75,372   44% $82,251   46%  UP   3

Territories = Nunavat Territory + Northwest Territories + Yukon Territory.
Atlantic Canadas = Prince Edward Island + New Brunswick + Newfoundland & Labrador + Nova Scotia.
Prairies = Manitoba + Saskatchewan + Alberta.
ON = Ontario
QC = Québec

% and Change in SUMMARY is not the sum of the percent changes from fiscal 2004-05 to 2005-06 but are the average changes (total divided by the number of jurisdictions; e.g. (3 + 2 + 2 = 7) / 3 = 2.3 percent change for the territories).

Source: Department of Finance Canada - Federal Transfers to Provinces and Territories (scroll down for all jurisdictions)
Date modified (by source): 2006-03-29
Last checked/modified (by me): 2006-05-09
_____

"Federal revenues" indeed. And we're going to have no choice but to withhold not only confederate handouts but "Ontario" handouts too; in the south.

Sieze our assets, refuse to process any "Government of Ontario" or "Government of Canada" financial transactions, cut our power, communications that they use (both conveniently located right on our land in South Ontario), plug up our sewers where our government buildings that they think are "theirs" hit our municipal systems in Toronto and Ottawa, cut our water supply to them, wipe their bonds off the TSX -- and tell them to get out of our buildings before things get nasty and they end up strung up on flagpoles or worse.

It's only a matter of time and no politician is of any worth. They will all be bypassed by what really matters: businesses, including all of the corporate bank/financial (and marketing) head offices in the Toronto area and South Ontario in general.

They're messin' with sons of bitches, right on our land no less, on prime real estate and are so far less than worthless that making them all pay for tarring, featherng them and paying their ways off to undisclosed Nowheres in the north Ontarios (to avoid any tourist attractions, which we'd then have to pay for; guards and signs telling no one to feed the animals and such; maybe even fences) is the very least that is going to happen to the morons.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Ontario's link to Kyo

BitWhys said:
have fun storming the castle

Which castle..... The financially, morally and intellectually bankrupt one?

Our biggest obstacle is political apathy.

S-Ranger

Nominee Member
Mar 12, 2005

Jay said:
BitWhys said:
have fun storming the castle

Which castle..... The financially, morally and intellectually bankrupt one?

Our biggest obstacle is political apathy.

Ignorance is, as usual, our and everyone else's biggest problem, whether it's around basic economics (like real gross domestic product, the most basic measure of economies around) or populations or the fact that Vancouver gets 12 cents per liter to pay for its public transit system from the BC feds (on "equalization" welfare handouts no less), while Toronto and every other city in the Ontarios just ended up with 2 cents back from the hopeless "Ontario" feds (due to the entirely hopeless confederate feds; as is), which is going to do zero for public transit expansion around the population growth rates "we" get in the Toronto area, Ottawa area and some other city-regions in the south.

But nothing can put the thumbscrews to the "Ontario" or confederate feds like South Ontario can and has no choice but to do.

Everyone else bitches and moans about poor, poor them receiving more of our own revenues per capita than we receive of our own revenues per capita back from the confederates in the Ontarios and then the "Ontario" feds have to spread it around all over the place or they won't get re-elected; while the real economies go down the tubes.

The Toronto Board of Trade, other Chambers of Commerce, the Ontario Chamber of Commerce, the Canadian Chamber of Commerce (and everything else that matters) has already looked over the skids of documentation proving that "Ontario" is being ripped off by "the federation" by $22 billion a year on average, adjusted for inflation (and not), forever.

The "Ontario" feds ran HALF of that deficit on the municipality of Toronto alone last year, over $11 billion, because no one can get elected even mentioning Toronto, let alone being seen to give it its own fair share of revenues back -- which is never "fair" because it's eeeeeeevil Toronto.

To win the Ontario dictatorship, you (um, not "you" but politicias) have to trash Toronto and it's even worse at the confederate level.

And there is no singular Toronto in reality. It's totally impossible (without civil obedience, not whatever politiians claim disobedience to be, certainly not with some "Quebec thing" to the east, with a party the Ontarios should have: "Whatever is good for Ontario we will support. Whatever is not good for Ontario, we will not support."

Then see who gives a crap whether Quebec thinks if can suceed from the Canadas or not.

Albertans threaten (oh no; so we only have to pay 12 or so cents on our dollar once it's out of our ecnomic union, for all resources in the stand-alone 'republic' that doesn't even have its own LAW ENFORCEMENT?) and yada, yada, yada, the north Ontarios are going to separate from the south and pay for everything on their own, from OPP law enforcement on up and down to anything at all?

"Canadians" don't like to hear it, let alone end up with facts in their faces that they cannot dispute (go to it) from sources they wish didn't exist, but reality is reality and South Ontario is holding just about every card in the deck in the Canadas.

And willl have no problem at all offering the other end o the Windsor-Quebec City corridor its own republic of sorts, without having to go bankrupt to actually create a real republic with a stand-alone economy.

It's ridiculous enough to think that there is some united "Greater Toronto Area" (GTA), let alone united city-regions of South Ontario that matter.

But two weeks of mass-marketing from the media giant of the Canadas (um, not Kamloops) can (and has) changed that. And is doing so again.

Everyone "wants" a better union but no one is going to get it until the insults to the words (medieval political) "systems" (processess) and "structures" are change wholecloth with a new union constitution/economic charter, for starters.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006

S-Ranger said:
Ignorance is, as usual, our and everyone else's biggest problem,...

...for starters.

like I said, have fun storming the castle.

you're not saying its McGuinty's fault Ottawa has that $538M on blocks right now, are you?

question period'll be a riot today. wonder who'll field it.

hey, nice tables, btw :!: