Conservative voters have amnesia!!!


BitWhys
#61
Quote: Originally Posted by Toro

Quote: Originally Posted by BitWhys

at least Martin had some gonads.

Yeah, and the Reform Party talking about cutting deficits every single day.

well I guess that goes to show you Canada is better off with the Conservatives in opposition than power. those who can't, bitch.
 
Toro
#62
Quote: Originally Posted by BitWhys

the DoF has the actual numbers on the web. look it up yourself.

Maybe you can help us then.

Here (external - login to view) is the site map. I spent a few minutes looking for the budgets from 1988 to 1990, which I believe at least one of those years had a balanced operating budget, but could not find it. I could only find data that went back to 1994.

So, give us a hand, BitWhys, since you said that's where we can find the info. I only had a few minutes.
 
Toro
#63
Quote: Originally Posted by BitWhys

well I guess that goes to show you Canada is better off with the Conservatives in opposition than power. those who can't, bitch.

If, by "can't", you mean "can't take bribes in paper bags under tables in Montreal restaurants", then yes, they do bitch.
 
BitWhys
#64
Quote: Originally Posted by Toro

Quote: Originally Posted by BitWhys

the DoF has the actual numbers on the web. look it up yourself.

Maybe you can help us then.

Here (external - login to view) is the site map. I spent a few minutes looking for the budgets from 1988 to 1990, which I believe at least one of those years had a balanced operating budget, but could not find it. I could only find data that went back to 1994.

So, give us a hand, BitWhys, since you said that's where we can find the info. I only had a few minutes.

only if you promise to stop talking out your ***.
 
Jay
#65
Ahhh, more friendly talk from Bit.

Just prove the frick'n numbers and I will leave you alone.
 
BitWhys
#66
 
Jay
#67
Thats about all your worth.

I'll take that as you can't do it, and I win.


Bye Bit!
 
Colpy
Conservative
#68
Okay guys, let's face it.........

Both Trudeau and Mulroney were terrible PMs, for different reasons.

Both ran up the debt in leaps and bounds.

Trudeau liked to rule without bothering about Parliament (turns out he was an anti-Semitic fascist in his youth, no surprize there). Oh, it would take a long time to list all his sins.............

Mulroney gave us the idiot Meech Lake Accord, which damn near tore the country apart, and he earned the nickname "Lyin' Brian".

Thank God I was a Reformer.

You can't blame me!

Well, truthfully, I did vote Conservative in 1984.......but only ONCE!
 
BitWhys
#69
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

Thats about all your worth.

I'll take that as you can't do it, and I win.


Bye Bit!

Hush my mouth and call me Pi. So it goes with God.
 
BitWhys
#70
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy

Okay guys, let's face it.........

Both Trudeau and Mulroney were terrible PMs, for different reasons.

Both ran up the debt in leaps and bounds.

Trudeau liked to rule without bothering about Parliament (turns out he was an anti-Semitic fascist in his youth, no surprize there). Oh, it would take a long time to list all his sins.............

Mulroney gave us the idiot Meech Lake Accord, which damn near tore the country apart, and he earned the nickname "Lyin' Brian".

Thank God I was a Reformer.

You can't blame me!

Well, truthfully, I did vote Conservative in 1984.......but only ONCE!

good post, but I thought he was a communist.
 
Toro
#71
Quote: Originally Posted by BitWhys

only if you promise to stop talking out your ***.

Well, what comes out of my be-hind is better than what comes out of your mouth! :P
 
Colpy
Conservative
#72
Quote: Originally Posted by BitWhys

Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy

Okay guys, let's face it.........

Both Trudeau and Mulroney were terrible PMs, for different reasons.

Both ran up the debt in leaps and bounds.

Trudeau liked to rule without bothering about Parliament (turns out he was an anti-Semitic fascist in his youth, no surprize there). Oh, it would take a long time to list all his sins.............

Mulroney gave us the idiot Meech Lake Accord, which damn near tore the country apart, and he earned the nickname "Lyin' Brian".

Thank God I was a Reformer.

You can't blame me!

Well, truthfully, I did vote Conservative in 1984.......but only ONCE!

good post, but I thought he was a communist.

Yeah.

A new book came out (featured on the National on CBC last night) in which two academics go through Trudeau's early writing......I mean very early, while he was in high school. They find he bought into the Quebecois culture of the time, nationalist, corporatist, anti-Semitic, in a word, fascist.

Interesting.

I don't hold a youth's politics against him......when I was 16, I was a Marxist.

But this shows a tendency towards depostism and elitism in Trudeau's character...........and I couldn't STAND the man......
 
Jay
#73
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy

Okay guys, let's face it.........

Both Trudeau and Mulroney were terrible PMs, for different reasons.

Both ran up the debt in leaps and bounds.

Trudeau liked to rule without bothering about Parliament (turns out he was an anti-Semitic fascist in his youth, no surprize there). Oh, it would take a long time to list all his sins.............

Mulroney gave us the idiot Meech Lake Accord, which damn near tore the country apart, and he earned the nickname "Lyin' Brian".

Thank God I was a Reformer.

You can't blame me!

Well, truthfully, I did vote Conservative in 1984.......but only ONCE!


To me the debate isn't about who was a better PM, it's about who is responsible for the debt; why did Brian have deficits etc.
 
BitWhys
#74
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy

...But this shows a tendency towards depostism and elitism in Trudeau's character...........and I couldn't STAND the man......

First time I voted was against NAFTA*. Before that I had the luxury of watching Trudeau kick the press around from a youthful distance.

* NAFTA, not free trade.

unrelated: Remember Elijah Harper? that was cool.
 
BitWhys
#75
Quote: Originally Posted by Toro

Quote: Originally Posted by BitWhys

only if you promise to stop talking out your ***.

Well, what comes out of my be-hind is better than what comes out of your mouth! :P

you mean Mulroney DIDN'T run 4 fiscal years of operating deficits?
 
Jay
#76
She is going to dance around like this all day....what else can she do?
 
BitWhys
#77
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

She is going to dance around like this all day....what else can she do?

That's rather sexist if its meant to be an insult.
 
Colpy
Conservative
#78
Quote: Originally Posted by BitWhys

Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy

...But this shows a tendency towards depostism and elitism in Trudeau's character...........and I couldn't STAND the man......

First time I voted was against NAFTA*. Before that I had the luxury of watching Trudeau kick the press around from a youthful distance.

* NAFTA, not free trade.

unrelated: Remember Elijah Harper? that was cool.

Yeah.....sorta like the Indians riding to the rescue of the settlers......
 
Jay
#79
How ever could that be an insult?
 
BitWhys
#80
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

How ever could that be an insult?

 
gc
#81
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

www.parl.gc.ca/38/1/parlbus/c...050_1250-E.htm (external - login to view)

According to the logic of Mr. Ken Epp: The national debt in 1968 was 18 billion, in 1984 it was 198 billion. That is 1100% in 16 years. Taking the 16th root of 11 gives an interest rate of about 16%. That is higher than 10.8% but interest rates were higher in those days www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/mci.html (external - login to view). So saying that Mulroney only added to the debt because of interest payments is like saying that Trudeau only added to the debt because of interest payments. However, neither is excusable and it should be the responsibility of any government to reduce the debt as much as possible.
 
Jay
#82
Were not getting anywhere here....are you trying to say you aren't a little girl?
 
Jay
#83
Quote: Originally Posted by gc

Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

www.parl.gc.ca/38/1/parlbus/c...050_1250-E.htm (external - login to view)

According to the logic of Mr. Ken Epp: The national debt in 1968 was 18 billion, in 1984 it was 198 billion. That is 1100% in 16 years. Taking the 16th root of 11 gives an interest rate of about 16%. That is higher than 10.8% but interest rates were higher in those days www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/mci.html (external - login to view). So saying that Mulroney only added to the debt because of interest payments is like saying that Trudeau only added to the debt because of interest payments. However, neither is excusable and it should be the responsibility of any government to reduce the debt as much as possible.

Quote:

Sadly, the greatest toy given him was our own nation, which he also squandered. When Trudeau became prime minister in 1968, it was a stable country with low taxes and little debt. During his reign it became a very unstable country with backbreaking taxes and horrendous debt. During the Trudeau years, federal debt rose from 25% of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) to 45%. In two years alone, from 1974-76, federal spending soared 50%.

www.westcan.org/westcan/WSP/AuSeOc00WSP.htm (external - login to view)
 
BitWhys
#84
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

Were not getting anywhere here....are you trying to say you aren't a little girl?

are you?
 
Jay
#85
Quote:

What is especially significant about these years is not only that Trudeau left us with this huge unpaid bill, but that he racked up the debt during a time when the government had access to more tax revenue than any other government to that point. Under the Trudeau Liberals, from 1977 to 1984 alone, they piled up more than $150 billion in government debt and increased spending from $43 billion a year to $109 billion.

It doesn’t take a Chartered Financial Analyst to figure out that moving out of controlled spending of $43 billion a year to $109 billion in seven years does not constitute getting control of things. Add to this fact that they increased borrowing from just over $10 billion a year to $38 billion and one gets an accurate picture of just how disastrous the Trudeau administration was at financial management.

www.justiceplus.org/Canada_billions.htm (external - login to view)
 
Jay
#86
Quote:

When Trudeau entered office, Ottawa spent 30% of Canada’s total economic output(the same as the USA). When he left, government spending had skyrocketed to almost 53%. With half of Canadians working directly or indirectly for Ottawa, the nation became infected with bureaucratic and union work ethics - state-sponsored laziness.

www.ericmargolis.com/archives...au_canadas.php (external - login to view)
 
Jay
#87
Code:
Trudeau's first two governments (1968-72 and 1972-74) did establish several new social programs and significantly increase public spending,
www.wsws.org/articles/2000/oc...-o10_prn.shtml (external - login to view)
 
gc
#88
I don't see your point, Jay. I've acknowledged that Trudeau is responsible for racking up the debt. The point that a lot of people in this forum are trying to make is that Mulroney was just as bad. That being said, I don't think Paul Martin (or future liberal leader) can be blamed for Trudeau's mistakes just as Stephen Harper can't be blamed for Mulroney's mistakes. Can we at least agree on that?
 
Jay
#89
Quote: Originally Posted by gc

So saying that Mulroney only added to the debt because of interest payments is like saying that Trudeau only added to the debt because of interest payments.

Isn't true from my perspective.
 
gc
#90
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

Quote: Originally Posted by gc

So saying that Mulroney only added to the debt because of interest payments is like saying that Trudeau only added to the debt because of interest payments.

Isn't true from my perspective.

Numbers don't lie.
 

Similar Threads

25
non voters
by mapleleafs67 | Oct 13th, 2007
10
Voters should try NDP
by I think not | Jan 16th, 2006
2
Amnesty International's amnesia
by jimmoyer | Oct 30th, 2005
2
Voters Gone Crazy
by remrem | Sep 29th, 2004
no new posts