Liberal Leadership Race - Who do we favour?

Of the 11 candidates declared so far for the Liberal leadership, which do you prefer?

• Carolyn Bennett

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bob Rae

• Joe Volpe

• Michael Ignatieff

• Hedy Fry

• Stephane Dion

• Gerard Kennedy

• Martha Hall Findlay

• Maurizio Bevilacqua

• Scott Brison

• Ken Dryden

• Total voters

Naci_Sey

Apr 30, 2006
Paradise - Vancouver Island
On March 19th, the Liberal Party of Canada accounced that its next Leadership Convention would be held November 29 to December 3, 2006. So far, 11 candidates have come forward for the leadership post.

Regardless of whether we are members of, or favour another party, who leads the Liberal Party will ultimately make a difference to all Canadians, since that leader will one day be Prime Minister of Canada. This makes it important for voters to know who is running, what their positions are and which leader would be the best for Canada. There's not much info so far on the candidates, but if you google each name, you're likely to get their website.

I've added the poll for us to see who we like and who we don't. I hope to see this thread run for awhile and think that a later poll asking whether we have changed our original selection would be helpful.

NB: This is my first attempt to create a new topic and a new poll since joining this board. Hope I've done it right.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have voted for Stephane Dion. I may change my mind but I don't think so. Some who have joined the race are a complete waste of space. Hedy Fry wouldn't get beyond the first ballot but we will see.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
RE: Liberal Leadership Ra

I voted for Ken Dryden, I've heard a few of them speak, but Dryden sounds lke a very sincere person,most the others just sounded like skaters and shufflers with the usual coporate communications newspeak.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I voted for Hedi Fry because it might be the only vote she gets.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I have voted for every political party that has held seats in the House over the last 30 years......except for the Bloc, for obvious reasons, and the Liberals.

So you might want to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I put down Ignatieff, as I do think he has a vision of the nation as part of a strong, western, democratic military and economic alliance.

My second choice would be Bob Rae, for his vision of uniting the NDP and Liberals, and returning us to the days of two viable national parties that one could actually tell apart.

Edited to say.....I kinda like Stephane Dion as well............

Naci_Sey

Apr 30, 2006
Paradise - Vancouver Island

I chose Carolyn Bennett. Like a couple of you, I also like Stephane Dion and agree with the comment about Ken Dryden's sincerity (which is one reason why I like Bennett).

Hedy Fry is too old (64, I think). Unless the Libs are thinking of who would make the best lame duck leader - as in the PC's Kim Campbell -, I'd say Hedy is out.

BTW, I wanted a poll that would allow us to select our three top choices. Might have made our answers that much more illuminating.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Ignatieff ? He's lived in the states for the last twenty years or so. How can he still be a Canadian? His kids must all be American. He can stay at Harvard.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton

My first choice in Scot Brison. Second choice is Stephan Dion (really..either one would be fine). Third choice.... umm...not really sure. I guess Ignatieff, but i don't really know a lot about him. Dryden might be ok in the whole unification of Canada issue.

But i'll take Brison or Dion over all.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Last person I'd vote for would be Ken Dryden, he is my local MP and completely usless. If I had not voted NDP in my ridig I would have voted conservative because of him.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: Liberal Leadership Ra

Semperfi_dani said:
My first choice in Scot Brison. Second choice is Stephan Dion (really..either one would be fine). Third choice.... umm...not really sure. I guess Ignatieff, but i don't really know a lot about him. Dryden might be ok in the whole unification of Canada issue.

Even if you are a liberal, how on earth could you support Brison after how he described Albertans as a whole after the 2004 election? The man proved he is a bigot by his outrageous comments about Alberta specifically and the West generally.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

bluealberta said:
Semperfi_dani said:

Even if you are a liberal, how on earth could you support Brison after how he described Albertans as a whole after the 2004 election? The man proved he is a bigot by his outrageous comments about Alberta specifically and the West generally.

Remember how Klein described easterners?

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta

Said1 said:
bluealberta said:
Semperfi_dani said:

25 years ago. Brison made his comments 2 years ago. Big difference. Klein was a mayor at the time, no thoughts of running for PM. Brison is a turncoat who will say and do anything for whichever party is willing to accept him. He is a bigot and made his feelings about Western Canada very clear in 2004. Yes, he will certainly unite the country with his sick attitudes. :roll:

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

bluealberta said:
Said1 said:
bluealberta said:
Semperfi_dani said:

25 years ago. Brison made his comments 2 years ago. Big difference. Klein was a mayor at the time, no thoughts of running for PM. Brison is a turncoat who will say and do anything for whichever party is willing to accept him. He is a bigot and made his feelings about Western Canada very clear in 2004. Yes, he will certainly unite the country with his sick attitudes. :roll:

I'm not defending Brison. I ASKED a question. Big difference.

I thought you were a genious. :roll:

When is Klein stepping down?

Does he still yell a people in half way houses? Just curious. Really.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta

Said1 said:
bluealberta said:
Said1 said:
bluealberta said:
Semperfi_dani said:

Semper Fi said:

Code:
My first choice in Scot Brison.

I answered your question. Klein will be gone by the end of the year. No he does not yell at people in half way houses.

Any more dumb questions?

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton

Meh, who called who what makes no difference to me. Sticks and Stones in the political world as far as I am concerned. I still support Scot Brison because I like his ideas, his energy, his beliefs.

But i know he won't win...Dion is da man.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

bluealberta said:
Said1 said:
bluealberta said:
Said1 said:
bluealberta said:
Semperfi_dani said:

Semper Fi said:

Code:
My first choice in Scot Brison.

I answered your question. Klein will be gone by the end of the year. No he does not yell at people in half way houses.

Any more dumb questions?

I'm not Semper fi, or is that a misquote?

And you mean Klein doens't yell a people in a drunken stupor anymore.

And yes, I do have another question. Why are you such a jerk?

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Said1:

1. I was pointing out that Semper Fi supported Brison. I knew you did not.
2. No, Klein does not yell at people in a drunken stupor, and neither does Klein drink anymore. The people in the drunken stupor obviously do, though.
3. Me, a jerk? Hell, someone else just said I was a humanitarian. Sometimes you have to lower yourself to discuss things with people like you, so I guess if that makes me a jerk, then I am only getting down to your level. Sorry, I will try and keep the conversations up to my standard from now on, and leave you at the bottom of the ladder.

Happy yet?? :wink:

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Brison for Grit Leader

I support the Honourable Scott Brison, P.C., M.P., the Member for Kings—Hants and the Environment Critic for Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, in his bid for the leadership of the Liberal Party of Canada. To address the accusation of Mr. Brison being a "turncoat", I would remind the member that Mr. Brison left the Conservative Party of Canada after his Progressive Conservative Party of Canada had merged with the Canadian Alliance, with concerns that the more conservative views of the former Alliance members would dominate the party. Ultimately, he left over the party's position on same-sex marriage. He had a principled stance, left the party, and proceeded to be re-elected multiple times. He is not a turncoat.