Liberals expected to play games over budget

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Liberals play chicken over budget, dare NDP and Bloc to force an election
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finance Minister Jim Flaherty talks with reporters following Question Period on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Monday, April 24. (CP/Tom Hanson)
OTTAWA (CP) - Opposition parties are playing a game of parliamentary chicken, daring one another to vote against the fledgling Tory government's first budget next week.

If the budget were to be defeated, Stephen Harper's minority government would automatically fall and the country would be plunged into an unwanted election.

Neither the Liberals, the NDP nor the Bloc Quebecois wants an election only three months after the last vote. But each appears to be betting that one of the other parties will blink and wind up propping up the government.

The Liberals are taking the most bellicose stance as they prepare for Tuesday's budget.

They're demanding that the budget include continuation of the previous Liberal government's income-tax cuts and its $5 billion, five-year commitment to create child-care spaces.

The Conservatives have promised to scrap both measures in order to implement their own plans for a $1,200 annual child-care allowance and a one-percentage-point cut in the GST. However, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty is expected to offer other tax relief.

Liberal finance critic John McCallum said Friday his party will also insist that the budget be fiscally prudent and provide more than "token support" for research, higher education and innovation.

Asked how likely it is that Flaherty will bend enough to secure Liberal support, McCallum told reporters: "What I've heard so far doesn't inspire great optimism."

He said Liberals will not hesitate to vote against the budget if it doesn't measure up. And he put the onus on the NDP and Bloc, having joined forces with the Tories last fall to topple the Liberal minority, to prop up the Harper government now.

"We're going to express our own views in a clear way and we'll leave it principally up to the NDP and the Bloc to support the government," McCallum said.

"If there's an election, we'll go to an election. We shall see."

But NDP finance critic Judy Wasylycia-Leis said the Liberal bluster is "more about games and posturing than it is about doing anything responsible."

"They make these bold assertions that they're not prepared to support the government in any way, knowing full well that they don't want an election either because they're in the middle of a leadership campaign."

The Liberals will choose a leader to succeed Paul Martin in December. Until then, Bill Graham is acting as interim leader.

The Conservatives need the support of only one opposition party to survive a confidence vote. Wasylycia-Leis said the leaderless Liberals are gambling that one of the other opposition parties will support the budget but she warned that could be a dangerous assumption.

While the NDP and Bloc have refrained from sabre-rattling and are each negotiating with the government to try to wring some concessions out of Flaherty, Wasylycia-Leis said it's still quite possible that neither party will be able to support the budget.

"If that is the case, it's a game of chicken that backfires (on the Liberals) and we could be into a sudden election because of that posturing."

Should defeat of the budget seem likely, Wasylycia-Leis predicted Liberal MPs would either absent themselves from the vote or find some excuse to support it.

To secure NDP support, she said the budget will need to include "some acknowledgment" that a multi-year commitment to create day-care spaces is required.

It will also have to include adjustments to Employment Insurance to better protect seasonal and part-time workers and an adjustment to the Tory child-care allowance to prevent it being clawed back from low-income parents.

The Bloc shares many of the NDP's concerns. But Wasylycia-Leis predicted the separatist party will swallow almost anything Flaherty dishes up, provided that he also commits to quickly resolve the so-called fiscal imbalance, which would mean billions more for the provinces.

©The Canadian Press, 2006
http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/NationalNewsArticle.htm?&src=n042873A.xml

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I think if the opposition defeats the budget on semantics they will fall even lower in the next election. People are tired of petty nonsense.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
If Harper's budget is crap. Which it sounds like its going to be with 22 billion in cuts, if it is not good for progressive people I would want my party to vote against it.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Agreed, Jersay.

The Conservative Party of Canada played the same strategy that the Liberal Party of Canada is using now — however, now that the Tories are in Government, it's apparently now a reprehensible approach not worthy of the least respect. How does that reflect on Harper?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Is there a kleptocracy in the budget? I love a good swindling.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: Liberals expected to

I hope the Tories budget gets thrown out and we have an election. I don't think people were thinking straight on January 23.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: RE: Liberals expected to

JonB2004 said:
I hope the Tories budget gets thrown out and we have an election. I don't think people were thinking straight on January 23.

I actually hope for the same, that way the Conservatives can win a majority government. You are right JonB2004 Canadians were not thinking straight on Jan 23, they were too pumped full of fear propagated by the Liberal spin machine.

With public opinion turning favorably towards the Conservatives and the Liberals literally leaderless and in debt, I think now would be a perfect time for an election, as our resident political expert JonB2004 has endorsed. :lol:

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

I meant the people weren't thinking straight and that they should of voted Liberal.

I don't get what's wrong with you idiot Conservatives. Don't you remember what happened last time we had a Conservative majority. We almost went bankrupt. And then you're going to vote the Liberals in to fix it all. This country is never going to go anywhere if we keep going around in this circle.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Thirty-ninth Parliament of Canada is less than one month in age — I have serious doubts that Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General of Canada, would drop the writs for an election at this time, or in the very near future, even if advised to do so by the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada.

It would be far more probable, in my opinion, for Her Excellency to invite the Honourable Bill Graham, P.C., M.P., the Member for Toronto Centre and the Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition — however, even such an alternate Government of Canada could likely last for no more than a few months given the make-up of the current House of Commons.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

The budget is a vote of confidence. If the budget is turned down, I think the responsible thing for the Governor General to do is to dissolve Parliament.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
JonB2004, there is precedence for a Governor General, in a minority Parliament, to invite another leader to form a government (only if he or she has a good-faith belief that such a thing could result in governance for a reasonable period of time). But given the numbers, I'm not so sure that inviting the Liberal Party would be a good enough option at this time. :( So I dunno.

:!: Revision : Sorry, left out an important detail — there is precedence to invite another leader to form a government, if the Parliament is young.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I'm with Hank on this. If this stunt is pulled I think they'll be rolling more opposition members off the Hill if a new vote is taken.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: RE: Liberals expected to play games over budget

FiveParadox said:
JonB2004, there is precedence for a Governor General, in a minority Parliament, to invite another leader to form a government (only if he or she has a good-faith belief that such a thing could result in governance for a reasonable period of time). But given the numbers, I'm not so sure that inviting the Liberal Party would be a good enough option at this time. :( So I dunno.

:!: Revision : Sorry, left out an important detail — there is precedence to invite another leader to form a government, if the Parliament is young.

..and who decides if parliament is young?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hank C, it would be at the judgement of the Governor General of Canada. However, experts on the unwritten constitution of Canada have suggested that within two or three months, it would be appropriate to invite a new leader to form a Government (if there were the possibility that such a leader could govern with the support of the Commons for a reasonable period of time), and anywhere up to six months would be a sort of "gray" area.

However, I don't think that this is likely to happen in this case — with the make-up of the House of Commons during this Thirty-ninth Parliament of Canada, it would be quite hard for the Liberal Party of Canada to govern the country for any period longer than perhaps a few weeks, in my opinion.

I wouldn't expect to see this convention exercised any time soon, hehe. :)

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca

Heh, they're damned if they do...

If they support this budget, they'll look like appeasers. If they vote against it, they're wasting tax-payers money. I can see the spin already. :roll:

If the Government is defeated, I put the blame solely and completely on the Government. That they have made zero consessions to the other parties, despite the fact that they are in a minority government, is irresponsible. They should be defeated if only to deflate their egos.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
FiveParadox said:
Hank C, it would be at the judgement of the Governor General of Canada. However, experts on the unwritten constitution of Canada have suggested that within two or three months, it would be appropriate to invite a new leader to form a Government (if there were the possibility that such a leader could govern with the support of the Commons for a reasonable period of time), and anywhere up to six months would be a sort of "gray" area.

Well thats my case exactly for either scrapping the GG, or making it more of a democratic position rather than a partisan appointment. The PMO has too much power in a partisan world.