Canadian troops in Afganistan

Do you think that the Harper Govn't was wrong to send Canadian troops to Afganistan?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MagnoliaApples

Electoral Member
Apr 26, 2006
There is an interesting article today on the Canadian Content web page called

'Sorry Mr. Prime Minister, Afganistan is not our war'

By John Chuckman
Sunday March 26, 2006

We are not threatened by voices in the Middle East opposing American policy, unless you believe one reference in a recording of bin Laden mentioning Canada along with other countries. That recording, along with other post-invasion recordings, was almost certainly a CIA fraud, for Osama bin Laden had to be killed in the heavy bombing of his mountain redoubt.

Even if you do not believe that bin Laden is dead, what is beyond question is that American activities in Afghanistan and Iraq are building a vast reservoir of resentments and a training school for future terrorists. Tens of thousands of disaffected young Muslim men not only now have something to deeply resent but they have the operational conditions to perfect their arts of covert war. According to countless witnesses from Afghanistan and Iraq, America's brutal, thoughtless tactics have only inflamed tempers. Canada's good name should not be associated with this.

The previous government's making an under-the-table deal with Bush to place Canadian troops in Afghanistan surely does not make it our war. Your continuing, rather shrill, insistence still does not make it so. The deal was, of course, an effort to placate Bush for our not supporting his illegal invasion of Iraq. America is Canada's neighbor, but it is a fatuous and immoral argument that you help your neighbor in criminal activities just because he is your neighbor.

'Prime Minister Stephen Harper says he has trouble understanding Canadians who feel ardently that their country's soldiers should not be involved in Afghanistan.'

Toronto Globe and Mail

You and other voices from Western Canada have made much of reforming Canada's democratic institutions, and I agree that a number of them do need reforming. Yet no greater vice to democracy can exist than a government's committing the lives of young people and the whole nation's reputation to war without any consultation or debate. If you believe in democratic values, as you claim, you cannot support such behavior.

The argument is all the more powerful when war is the behavior of a minority government. Your government represents the will of less than forty percent of Canadians. How can you believe then that your views on the war should be the views of most Canadians? Through polls and every other indication of public opinion, the majority of the Canadian people have made it clear they do not support America's wars in the Middle East.

The Canadian general in charge of operations in Afghanistan has made public statements that are shameful to Canada's reputation in the world. Stuff about going over to do some killing. He sounds like an American wannabe raised on Rambo movies.

Canada did have a terrorist incident every bit as dreadful as 9/11. I refer to the bombing of the Air India flight years ago. Taking account of Canada's size, this event killed proportionately more Canadians than 9/11's American victims. While the outcome of that investigation has been disappointing, Canada never contemplated bombing Sikh communities because of it. America's logic in the war on terror is simply that ridiculous.

I'm interesed on what you ppl here think about this.

Do you think we should even be in Afganistan?

Do you think that by Canada being involved in Afganistan we are ruining our good reputation within our global community?

What do you think of a govn't that ignores the majority of it's country when it concerns choices such as being involved in a war?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I was under the impression that the previous Government of Canada had ordered the Canadian Forces to be sent to the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
RE: Canadian troops in Af

We shouldn'd be in Afghanistan.
It is ruining our reputation.
The government is ignoring the majority because it is not democratic and caters to corporate interests and follows an American agenda.

MagnoliaApples

Electoral Member
Apr 26, 2006
To 5Paradox-

You are right, but the conservatives being in govn't NOW could have made differing decisions. I'm still interested on wether or not people think we should be in Afganistan.

If people have a major problem with the poll question then i'll change it to just simply - Our Govn't instead of the Harper Govn't. Either way it still applies.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
MagnoliaApples, as far as I know, survey options can't be changed once someone votes (this is of course to prevent someone from "manipulating" the survey to meet whatever their own opinion, or purpose, might be). It's not a big deal, I was just double-checking that it was in fact the previous Government. :)

As for the mission in Afghanistan, I think that it should continue, so long as it can be proved that the mission is in the interests of Canada and Afghanistan, and that the decisions in relation to the mission aren't being made to benefit some other undisclosed party, or parties.

MagnoliaApples

Electoral Member
Apr 26, 2006
Jersay -

That's good that you can say that. I myself am closely related to our troops here in canada as well.

But i'm curious as to why you think they should be there?

Same question goes to you 5paradox.
In your opinion, what are our interests in being involved out there in Afganistan?

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Re: RE: Canadian troops in Af

darkbeaver said:
We shouldn'd be in Afghanistan.
It is ruining our reputation.
The government is ignoring the majority because it is not democratic and caters to corporate interests and follows an American agenda.
It would hurt Canada's reputation if Canada pulled out now. What Majority do you speak of?

The Mission in Afghanistan is not an American Agenda, it's time you take off your tin foil hat because every post you make has some Anti-American Agenda attached to it. :roll:

What a Joke!.
:lol:

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
MagnoliaApples said:
Jersay -

That's good that you can say that. I myself am closely related to our troops here in canada as well.

In your opinion, what are our interests in being involved out there in Afganistan?
Canada is there because of 9/11 and Canadians were killed on that day. The Afghanis need Canada there as a member of Nato to help them rebuild their lives after 30 years of War. If Canada and Nato were not there the Taliban would still be running Afghanistan allowing Al Qaeda to train Terrorists and executing women in the soccer stadium.

Being there is part of the Global War against Terrorism.

Do you think that the Harper Govn't was wrong to send Canadian troops to Afganistan?

The Harper Government didn't send Canadian Troops to Afghanistan the Liberals did.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Re: RE: Canadian troops in Afganistan

MagnoliaApples said:
Do you really think that we could rid the world of terrorism?
We are at War with Islamic Terrorists, this War against Islamic Terrorism will last for years and years as Afghanistan will not be the only battle ground.

There will always be Terrorism in the World in other forms such as the IRA and other groups who use Terrorism for their own agendas. To rid the World of Terrorism the World has to come together easier said then done.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

FiveParadox said:
I was under the impression that the previous Government of Canada had ordered the Canadian Forces to be sent to the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.

no doubt

what a stupid poll question :?

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
well-- magnolia-- is a new to the forum
so its not so stupid

whats stupid is well--- the futility of the enterprise

but we will let that take its course

there there

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
MagnoliaApples said:
Jersay -

It doesn't matter if it is for War on Terror, which I have been informed by one of the members on this board is to cause conflict on terrorism that might be directed at the U.S and its allies (good or bad) so its not based on a War on Terror, but a War on Terror that is being done against America and Canada.

For instance another thread that terrorism is allowed against Cuba. Hypocritical but that's okay, history will look back on us.

But I believe we are in Afghanistan is why we should be in Darfur. Because now a murderous regime is out of control of Afghanistan and its not coming back. Women and children can live in peace. The Afghani government isn't good, nor is it perfect and needs to be replaced democratically, however, it is better than the Taliban.

MagnoliaApples

Electoral Member
Apr 26, 2006
WoW - Hank can be a real skag... Is he always this rude?

Jersay - Thank you for for giving me the pleasure of knowing that you are someone who actually has thought out reasons to back up his answers. And i'm not saying this to be condesending, I mean it. Thanks!

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine

MagnoliaApples said:
WoW - Hank can be a real skag... Is he always this rude?

Jersay - Thank you for for giving me the pleasure of knowing that you are someone who actually has thought out reasons to back up his answers. And i'm not saying this to be condesending, I mean it. Thanks!

Your welcome. That is what I believe why we are in Afghanistan, and that is what I believe Myles one of the four dead soldiers who died recently who was from the 5th field regiment in Victoria which is besides my unit in Nanaimo would believe in hopefully.

The other stuff about Terrorism, and oil fields and political stuff deals with America or other people conspiracy theories.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Isn't canada in Afghanistan at UN request?

correct me if I'm wrong. But if I'm right, then Canada does have an international obligation.