C-48 Funds Are Secured: Layton

Do you support the securing of the funds appropriated by this Act?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't know / Prefer not to respond

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Honourable Jack Layton, P.C., M.P., the Member for Toronto—Danforth and the Leader of the New Democratic Party of Canada today announced that the funds appropraited through the passage of An Act to authorize the Minister of Finance to make certain payments (otherwise known as Bill C-48), passed during the Thirty-eighth Parliament of Canada, has been secured, in part, through trust funds set up by the present Government of Canada.

The [color=orange said:
Hon. Jack Layton[/color], P.C., M.P.,]Bill C-48, the NDP bill that cancelled $4.5 billion dollars in Liberal corporate tax cuts and invested that money instead into priorities that support working families, was secured when it was passed into law by the House last year and has been further secured through discussions with the Conservative government.

Click here to read the entire statement in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire le communiqué entier en français.
:arrow: My Opinion Re: Securing of C-48 Funds

I was in favour of C-48 when it was heard that the New Democratic Party of Canada and the previous Government of Canada had struck an agreement, in terms of support for the budget. I think that the conduct of the New Democrats during that session was to be commended; they were perhaps the only party who had been prepared to make concessions and compromise in the best interest of the people of Canada.

I am happy to see that the money from that agreement is now, more-or-less, secured with this new Government. I wonder, however; there were many supporters of the Conservative Party of Canada who had been aggressively opposed to this Act — so I wonder if there is any resentment in the party for having made the decision to secure the funds for a proposition which they had fought hard to attempt to defeat?

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the New Democratic Party of Canada.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
RE: C-48 Funds Are Secure

Corporate tax cuts help keep corporate taxes in Canada instead of being sent to places like Ireland where the corporate taxes are much lower.

Having said that, I agree with the statement:

Five said:
I think that the conduct of the New Democrats during that session was to be commended; they were perhaps the only party who had been prepared to make concessions and compromise in the best interest of the people of Canada.

I was not the least bit impressed by the actions of the Conservatives in the last session. And the level of decorum in the House... Spare me. These are the people representing us? :roll: