Military Decorations to be Issued

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Given the contentious climate that seems to have pervaded some threads on these forums in relation to the Canadian Forces and the proper way to honour our members therein, I thought that perhaps it would be an appropriate time to post something positive that the membership of Canadian Content can unite behind and be proud of together.

The presentation of various Meritorious Service Decorations at Rideau Hall, on Friday, is to be presided over by Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Commander-in-Chief in and over Canada; six Meritorious Service Crosses are to be awarded (the higher of the two ranks of the award) to members of the Forces, and eight members are to receive the Meritorious Service Medal, each in the military division of the award (the award also has a civil division, wherein one citizen is to earn the Cross, and sixteen to earn the Medal).

Members to earn the Cross (military division):
  • Lieutenant-Colonel James Patrick Davis, M.S.C., C.D.;
  • Colonel Joseph Serge Labbé, M.S.C., C.D.;
  • Brigadier-General Jocelyn Pierre-Paul Joseph Lacroix, M.S.C., C.D.;
  • Colonel Barry Wayne MacLeod, M.S.C., C.D.;
  • Master Seaman Marc Miller, M.S.C., C.D.; and
  • Lieutenant-General Walter Natynczyk, C.M.M., M.S.C., C.D.
Members to earn the Medal (military division):
  • Colonel William Robert Applegate, M.S.M.;
  • Lieutenant-Colonel Lorne William Bentley, M.S.M., C.D. (Retired);
  • Major Richard Alexander Erland, M.S.M., C.D.;
  • Captain (N) the Honourable Justice Walter Goodfellow, M.S.M., C.D.;
  • Captain (N) Darren William Knight, M.S.M., C.D.;
  • Petty Officer 1st Class Aubrey Rice, M.S.M., C.D.;
  • Sergeant Cameron MacRae Stout, M.S.M., C.D.; and
  • Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Schuman Williams, M.S.M., C.D.
On this occasion it would be particularly appropriate for me to thank the members of our Forces for their acts of courage and bravery in the pursuit of defending Canada, its principles, and its friends and interests abroad. Canada would not be the same nation (nor might it be a nation in any capacity) without your service. Thank you, to each and every person who would represent Canada as a member of our Forces.

Click here to read the entire statement in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire le communiqué entier en français.
¹

:?: Sources²
1. Click here for the Web site of the Governor General of Canada.

:!: Revision : (1, 2) Added a link to the statement, and the Sources footer.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Her Excellency delivered a speech on the occasion of the award ceremony.

[color=#bb0000 said:
Her Excellency the Rt. Hon. Michaëlle Jean[/color], C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D.,]It is an honour for me to welcome you to Rideau Hall. You are everyday heroes. Too often, your achievements are left off the front page. And yet, you have saved lives, eased suffering and misery, brought comfort and support. You are women and men of conviction, action and compassion.

Whether as ordinary citizens or in the performance of your official duties as members of the Canadian Forces, you embody the most noble expression of what it means to serve, going above and beyond what others, what you yourselves, might expect of you.

Click here to read the entire speech in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire la parole entière en français.
:arrow: My Opinion Re: The Speech of Her Excellency

During a time of some contentious in response to certain issues surrounding our recognition of passed members of the Forces, I think that it was a particularly fitting time for the Governor General to perform this awards ceremony, and to make this gracious speech. It is so important that we recognize the hard work that these people put into the defense and service of Canada.

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Governor General of Canada.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
That list brought back some memories. When Brigadier JPPJ LaCroix was a Captain he was my course officer on Phase II Armour in 1985.

Major Rick Erland was an Lt in the Strathcona's when I was there in 85-88.