Get rid of the Governor General

Should we get rid of the Governor General?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
Why do we need the Governor General?

First, the Governor General has no real need in our system. The Governor General is the Queen's representative in Canada. Why does the Queen still have involvement in Canada? Canada is supposed to be an independant country. The Queen should not have influence over our country. And on top of it, $20 million of our tax dollars go to the Governor General every year for his or her budget.

Second, the Governor General has the power to dismiss the Prime Minister. If the Governor General is the Queen's representative, it means the Queen can order the Governor General to dismiss the Prime Minister. That shouldn't be allowed.

I think its about time we grow up and break off our ties with the Queen.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I am a moderate Republican and even though I am not offended by having a GG as the posistion has almost no power, I still would rather replace it with a democratic posistion. Though I'd also not mind if we kept the name and the attachments to the British empire, in name only of course.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
JonB2004 said:
Why do we need the Governor General?
The Prime Minister of Canada, and the other agents of our Parliament of Canada in its legislature, do not have the time, the energy, or the capacity to "inspire" Canadians. When a Governor General of Canada visits a base for the Armed Forces, I would suggest that they are visited someone to whom they can all serve. With a partisan Prime Minister, however, some members are going to shun the head of government. A Prime Minister's visit isn't going to boost everyone's morale. There's no getting around that. No elected representative has the time to promote our culture or our arts — so, our Governor General takes on this vital task.

JonB2004 said:
First, the Governor General has no real need in our system. The Governor General is the Queen's representative in Canada. Why does the Queen still have involvement in Canada? Canada is supposed to be an independant country. The Queen should not have influence over our country. And on top of it, $20 million of our tax dollars go to the Governor General every year for his or her budget.
I would suggest that we do, in fact, need the Governor General. Yes, Her Majesty the Queen is represented in Canada; however, she is also a representative of the Canadian people (as she has made quite clear during the first few months of what has been, in my opinion, a smashingly successful term). I would suggest that we need to have someone who is above partisan politics, to mediate where necessary (God forbit such a situation ever arise, however, where her reserve powers would need to be exercised to save our democracy).

JonB2004 said:
Second, the Governor General has the power to dismiss the Prime Minister. If the Governor General is the Queen's representative, it means the Queen can order the Governor General to dismiss the Prime Minister. That shouldn't be allowed.
Of course the Governor General has this right; however, I would urge you to look to our friend, the Commonwealth of Australia, was unable to pass a budget through both Houses — however, the Prime Minister of Australia, at the time, refused to resign, or to take any substantive action to meet the financial obligations of the Government. The Governor General of Australia had no choice but to dismiss the Prime Minister outright to remedy the very serious situation that had developed. It should be noted that when the Governor General consulted the Queen, she refused to advise him, on the basis that she should not interfere in Australian affairs.

Only once has a Governor General in our history ever had to use his or her reserve powers. In 1925, the late Right Honourable William Lyon Mackenzie King¹ faced a vote of non-confidence from the opposition (he had a minority government); however, instead of permitting the House to vote on the motion, he attempted to ask the Governor General to dissolve the House of Commons immediately, so as to prevent the defeat of his government. The Governor General, thinking that a Government should not be permitted to "run" from a want of confidence, refused Mackenzie's request — and in doing so, forced the Prime Minister to resign. The Governor General, the late Right Honourable Lord Vismount Byng of Vimy, appointed the Leader of the Opposition to govern temporarily. This was an entirely appropriate use of reserved powers, and had nothing to do with Her Majesty the Queen of Canada.

JonB2004 said:
I think its about time we grow up and break off our ties with the Queen.
We have grown up, and we've done so alongside the Queen of Canada.

:!: Revision : (1) Corrected a formatting error.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Get rid of the Govern

I have a feeling old blackleaf might have an opinion on this

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Five wrote: We have grown up, and we've done so alongside the Queen of Canada. You tell em lad.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

I've also noticed that FiveParadox has a strong liking of the Queen.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

cor blimey!!! I've just seen on telly, the queen DOES carry money

the queen would never interfear anyway, but it's not been long since the westminister act...give it some time

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Ya, get rid of both of them. The GG, the Queen and the rest of the sorry ass lazy royal family. You want a "uniter", elect one. you want tradition, you don't need the Queen to have tradition. You're in the new world. Act like it.

I hope Said1 doesn't read this

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would suggest, I think not, that no duly elected person can ever truly become a "uniter" (there are those who would have voted against such a person and, therefore, the only people united are going to be those who had voted for the victor). The entire point of having a Governor General of Canada in modern times is to have someone who can represent Canada for Canada, not for a party.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Well I know some of you here like the Queen and the rest that comes with her. And I realize you claim she has "no real powers" and is just a figurehead, and I agree, she is a figurehead, because she chooses not to invoke her powers, BUT, she can if she wants to, and that's the point. If you want somebody across the pond to have that kind of power, fine with me, but I wouldn't stand for it. I'd scream day and night if I had too. :D

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It makes me more comfortable, to be honest, I think not, knowing that there are certain powers in place to protect Canada if the need were ever to arise (Re: Prime Minister goes insane and orders mass deportation of non-whites, for example).

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
You can replace that with checks and balances, which you currently lack. You are in effect, counting on the fact Her Majesty will not go insane. If I were 80 and haven't had sex in a decade or two, I'd be pretty dam cranky. Enough to deport en masse. :lol:

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I dunno. Since most of her powers are exercised through our Governor General of Canada, I wouldn't worry too much. Michaëlle's pretty, I'm sure she gets it when she wants it. o_O