Listen to Mr. Mulroney: Brison

Should Mr. Harper heed Mr. Mulroney's advice?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't know / Prefer not to respond

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Today the Honourable Scott Brison, P.C., M.P., the Member for Kings—Hants and the Environment Critic for Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, encouraged the Government of Canada to heed the advice of the Right Honourable Brian Mulroney, P.C., in terms of the threat that climate change poses, and the work that must be done to curb that threat for the sake of the future of Canada.

Selon le Parti libéral du Canada, M. Brison lui-même, et le milieu scientifique, le très honourable Stephen Harper, C.P., le député de Calgary-de-Ouest et le Premier ministre du Canada, devrait écouter le conseil de M. Mulroney — avant que les effets de réchauffement de la planète deviendront perménant. M. Brison pense que M. Harper ne crois pas que le réchauffement de la planète est un danger aux canadiens, et canadiennes. (See translation at ¶2.)

Le site Web pour le [color=red said:
Parti libéral du Canada[/color]]We needfair and balanced measures to regulate large industry and reduce pollution, market-based and efficient programs to spur innovation, increase renewable and alternate energy production, and promote a greener economy," Mr. Brison said.

The Harper government says the Kyoto targets can't be met, but you can't reach them if you don't try.

Cliquetez içi pour lire le communiqué entier en français.
Click here to read the entire statement in English.
:arrow: My Opinion Re: Harper's Stance on the Environment

It would appear, I would suggest, that the Government of Canada seems to be lacking vision in terms of how to best approach issues relating to the environment (not that the previous Government of Canada had been a shining example of how to manage the biosphere of Canada). We have been informed of the plans of the Conservative Party of Canada to reduce the budget of Environment Canada by up to eighty per cent (-80%), fifteen programs related to the Kyoto Accord have been terminated, and there has been no alternative presented.

J'ai des réservations sérieuses au sujet de l'environnement, sous ce nouveau gouvernement conservateur. J'éspère que M. Harper, et ses ministres, agissent toute de suite pour donner les canadiens, et les canadiennes, un environnement qui est propre et sain. (See translation at ¶4.)

:?: Les sources
1. Cliquetez içi pour le site Web du Parti libéral du Canada.

:?: Translation (Trying to develop my second language, le français!)

(¶2) According to the Liberal Party of Canada, Mr. Brison himself, and the scientific community, the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada, should heed Mr. Mulroney's advice — before global warming becomes irreversible. Mr. Brison doesn't think that Mr. Harper sees the danger that global warming poses to Canadians.

(¶4) I have some serious reservations, in terms of the environment under this new Conservative Government. I hope that Mr. Harper and his Ministers would act immediately to give a clean and healthy environment to Canadians.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Holy cow, Five... first the colour, now you're posting in English & French? You're making the rest of us look bad.

Of course Harper should heed his advice. But lets give him a chance to put forth better policies than those by the Liberals. Let's withhold judgement until he does. But today there can be no higher priority than the environment, so if he doesn't lead, Harper should get the hell out of the way.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
LOL I can't help, but laugh. People who have vehemently hated old BM for years are now suggesting that Harper heed his call.

I would like to see an enviromentally conscious government, but try as I might I can't believe what I am hearing.

LOL
M

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Retired_Can_Soldier, not having been around during the term of Mr. Mulroney, I don't have the capacity to criticize his actions and ideas, other than through information I can receive through the Hansard and other such sources of information. However, from what I have read in terms of his stance on the environment, I think it was quite sound.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
FiveParadox said:
Retired_Can_Soldier, not having been around during the term of Mr. Mulroney, I don't have the capacity to criticize his actions and ideas, other than through information I can receive through the Hansard and other such sources of information. However, from what I have read in terms of his stance on the environment, I think it was quite sound.

Just to give you an idea of how well liked Mr. Mulroney was, here's a joke from the time;

Q: You are walking down the street and suddenly you see Adolph Hitler, Joe Stalin, and Brian Mulroney. You have a gun, but only two bullets. What do you do?

A: Shoot Mulroney twice.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I remember a sign in New Brunswick which read: IF YOU MUST DRINK AND DRIVE, DRIVE OVER BRIAN MULRONEY

By the way Five I agree. Although I wouldn't take Brisons advice on swimming, if I was drowning in a pool of dinosaur dung.

Cheers
M

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: Listen to Mr. Mulrone

I think that Stephen Harper should take Brian Mulroney advice. I don't like that Harper's cutting 80% of our environmental programs.