Jean Inspires our Northern Children

All factors considered, are you satisfied with the education system in Canada?

• Completely satisfied

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat satisfied

• Somewhat unsatisfied

• Not at all satisfied

• Don't know / Prefer not to respond

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General of Canada, today visited the Peter Pitseolak School, where she delivered a speech to the students, and to announce her donation of thirty children's books to them (written in English, French and Inuktitut by Canadian authors).

The Governor General pointed out that eighty-five per cent of the population of the Territory of Nunavut is Inuit, and that they should treasure and preserve their culture wherever possible, while taking advantage of the opportunities that the rest of Canada can provide. Her Excellency suggested that the world that our parents and grandparents knew, and the world that we know now, can serve to complement each other, while stressing that education is just as important as the stories and legends of one's ancestors.

[color=#bb0000 said:
Her Excellency the Rt. Hon. Michaëlle Jean[/color], C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D.,]I would like you to tell me about your life and what school has meant to you. I would like to know about the difficulties you face. And I would like to hear about your traditions that you seek to preserve. In turn, I would like to speak about you and your school wherever I go in Canada and abroad. And I need your help so that together we may defeat all of the prejudices arising from a lack of understanding. I want you to be examples for all the young people who need hope and who ask only to believe that anything is possible when they do their part. I am proud of you and know that I can count on you.

Click here to read the entire speech in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire la parole entière en français.
:arrow: My Opinion Re: Importance of Education

I think that Her Excellency is quite correct, when she highlights the paramount importance of education in Canada. Her recounting of meeting a young boy in the Republic of Haiti was a sort of reminder of how lucky we are in Canada to have ready access to institutes of education — we should never forget that citizens of many nations across this world don't have the same opportunities that we have, in terms of an education.

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Governor General of Canada.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: Jean Inspires our Nor

I'm somewhat satisfied with Canada's education system.