Emerson critics to pounce Harper

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
VANCOUVER — The critics of David Emerson are promising to descend upon the Prime Minister today to continue the protest against the International Trade Minister's defection to the Conservatives.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper is scheduled to appear at a community centre in Burnaby this morning and members of the Campaign to De-Elect David Emerson say they will be at the event.

"It is important the Prime Minister understand this is an issue that is not going away," Mike Watkins, a spokesman for the anti-Emerson group, said yesterday.

Mr. Watkins suggested that "the citizens of Canada were treated with contempt" by both Prime Minister Harper and Mr. Emerson when the onetime Liberal defected from his party within days of the Jan. 23 federal election and entered the Conservative cabinet.

Mr. Watkins explained that no protest happened when Mr. Emerson attended a Sikh celebration on Saturday, in part because it was Easter weekend.

"If he believes that we are fading in the background, he is quite mistaken," Mr. Watkins said. He indicated that another protest is planned for Friday when Mr. Emerson addresses the Vancouver Board of Trade.

The Emerson critics also appear to be spurred on as a result of comments attributed to him in a local newspaper on the weekend.

Mr. Emerson told the Vancouver Province that his work as an MP is returning to normal. However, "every once in a while the locusts descend on me and it creates situations that are a little abnormal, but I carry on with my work," Mr. Emerson said.

After making these comments he told the newspaper that he respects his critics.

"How can he call us locusts and say he respects us?" Mr. Watkins asked. "Apparently, Mr. Harper's muzzle on cabinet ministers isn't tight enough."

Mr. Emerson has previously called his critics "partisan zealots." Mr. Watkins stressed that he is a "card-carrying Conservative" and his group is made up of supporters of every political party.

"I am not surprised by the insults. We are used to them," said Manuel Pereda, who is the chairman of another anti-Emerson group. The Message in the Air Society hopes to plant hundreds of small flags during a protest on Parliament Hill next month to put an end to what it calls "Emerson-style defections."

The name of the group refers to an event in which Mr. Pereda hired a pilot to fly over Parliament Hill this month with a banner urging Mr. Emerson to "call home."

Mr. Pereda said the group is going to lobby for legislation that would require MPs to resign and run in a by-election if they cross the floor. While he said he does not expect Mr. Emerson to run in a by-election, the minister's negative comments about his critics have given the protest groups a boost.

"He is helping us. The more he insults us, the more supporters we get," Mr. Pereda said.

Mr. Pereda, general manager of a renovation and repair company who has lived in the Vancouver-Kingsway riding for 15 years, said he received dozens of e-mails of support yesterday within a few hours of announcing the details of the latest protest.

The only way to "put a stop to what we are doing," said Mr. Watkins, would be for Mr. Emerson to resign and run in a by-election. While he conceded that this is extremely unlikely, he said Mr. Emerson could not be re-elected in Vancouver-Kingsway.

"He is never going to run in this riding again, he knows that," said Mr. Watkins, who joked that Mr. Emerson may have to go to Calgary to find a safe riding.

A spokeswoman for Mr. Emerson declined to comment yesterday about the minister's "locusts" comment.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060418.wxbcemerson18/BNStory/National/home

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: Emerson critics to po

If Stephen Harper wants to do the responsible thing, he'll make David Emerson resign and call a by-election.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"How can he call us locusts and say he respects us?" Mr. Watkins asked. "Apparently, Mr. Harper's muzzle on cabinet ministers isn't tight enough."

:lol:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Jersay said:
VANCOUVER — The critics of David Emerson are promising to descend upon the Prime Minister today to continue the protest against the International Trade Minister's defection to the Conservatives.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper is scheduled to appear at a community centre in Burnaby this morning and members of the Campaign to De-Elect David Emerson say they will be at the event.

"It is important the Prime Minister understand this is an issue that is not going away," Mike Watkins, a spokesman for the anti-Emerson group, said yesterday.

Mr. Watkins suggested that "the citizens of Canada were treated with contempt" by both Prime Minister Harper and Mr. Emerson when the onetime Liberal defected from his party within days of the Jan. 23 federal election and entered the Conservative cabinet.

Mr. Watkins explained that no protest happened when Mr. Emerson attended a Sikh celebration on Saturday, in part because it was Easter weekend.

"If he believes that we are fading in the background, he is quite mistaken," Mr. Watkins said. He indicated that another protest is planned for Friday when Mr. Emerson addresses the Vancouver Board of Trade.

The Emerson critics also appear to be spurred on as a result of comments attributed to him in a local newspaper on the weekend.

Mr. Emerson told the Vancouver Province that his work as an MP is returning to normal. However, "every once in a while the locusts descend on me and it creates situations that are a little abnormal, but I carry on with my work," Mr. Emerson said.

After making these comments he told the newspaper that he respects his critics.

Mr. Emerson has previously called his critics "partisan zealots." Mr. Watkins stressed that he is a "card-carrying Conservative" and his group is made up of supporters of every political party.

"I am not surprised by the insults. We are used to them," said Manuel Pereda, who is the chairman of another anti-Emerson group. The Message in the Air Society hopes to plant hundreds of small flags during a protest on Parliament Hill next month to put an end to what it calls "Emerson-style defections."

The name of the group refers to an event in which Mr. Pereda hired a pilot to fly over Parliament Hill this month with a banner urging Mr. Emerson to "call home."

Mr. Pereda said the group is going to lobby for legislation that would require MPs to resign and run in a by-election if they cross the floor. While he said he does not expect Mr. Emerson to run in a by-election, the minister's negative comments about his critics have given the protest groups a boost.

"He is helping us. The more he insults us, the more supporters we get," Mr. Pereda said.

Mr. Pereda, general manager of a renovation and repair company who has lived in the Vancouver-Kingsway riding for 15 years, said he received dozens of e-mails of support yesterday within a few hours of announcing the details of the latest protest.

The only way to "put a stop to what we are doing," said Mr. Watkins, would be for Mr. Emerson to resign and run in a by-election. While he conceded that this is extremely unlikely, he said Mr. Emerson could not be re-elected in Vancouver-Kingsway.

"He is never going to run in this riding again, he knows that," said Mr. Watkins, who joked that Mr. Emerson may have to go to Calgary to find a safe riding.

A spokeswoman for Mr. Emerson declined to comment yesterday about the minister's "locusts" comment.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060418.wxbcemerson18/BNStory/National/home

Yeah

14 people showed up, and were shouted down by a large number of Harper supporters.

Yawn

Although I do sympathize with the way they were ripped off.

It is EMERSON'S responsibility to serve them in the best way he knows.

Why picket Harper?

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

Because he should be responsible and force Emerson to call a by-election.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would agree that the responsibility here rests with the Honourable David Emerson, P.C., M.P., the Member for Vancouver Kingsway and the Minister for International Trade; I support the right of the Prime Minister of Canada, whomever he or she happens to be, to invite members from any party to assist in creating the Government of Canada.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Emerson critics to po

JonB2004 said:
Because he should be responsible and force Emerson to call a by-election.

Under the current rules, Emerson had every right to cross the floor, as did Stronach and Brison. I don't like floor crossing, especially to cabinet positions, but it is fair according to the rules.

Emerson WILL face his constituents, sooner or later.

Winston Churchill crossed the floor TWICE!

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

I strongly disagree with MP's crossing the floor. The constituints of the riding voted for that party and the member should not be able to go to another party.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It was Mr. Emerson's right to cross, and perhaps he abused that right. At any rate, I have sincere doubts that the Conservative Party of Canada is going to keep that seat once the writs for the Fortieth General Election are issued. I would suggest that whether or not Mr. Emerson is punished for having done something inappropriate (if that is in fact the opinion of the electorate in Vancouver Kingsway), I would suggest that his new party is going to pay a price of one seat (at least) for this issue.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Emerson critics to pounce Harper

FiveParadox said:
It was Mr. Emerson's right to cross, and perhaps he abused that right. At any rate, I have sincere doubts that the Conservative Party of Canada is going to keep that seat once the writs for the Fortieth General Election are issued. I would suggest that whether or not Mr. Emerson is punished for having done something inappropriate (if that is in fact the opinion of the electorate in Vancouver Kingsway), I would suggest that his new party is going to pay a price of one seat (at least) for this issue.

Actually, I would agree with you.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Emerson critics to po

JonB2004 said:
I strongly disagree with MP's crossing the floor. The constituints of the riding voted for that party and the member should not be able to go to another party.

Ah, but in political theory, constituents DON'T vote for the party in our system, they vote for the person.

There's the rub.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Therein lies the issue!

More often than not, the Parliament of Canada has attempted to avoid the mention of "parties" in the Statutes of Canada (whether or not this trend is a good thing is not the topic at hand, however). I would suggest that legislating that a member would have to run in a by-election (for attempting to switch parties) could cause major dysfunction — imagine if such a law had been in place, for example, when members had left other parties to create the Bloc Québécois.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

I don't see how it would cause major dysfuction, FiveParadox.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Major Dysfunction, if No Crossing

Here are some situations that I think could be affected.
  • If two parties were ever to wish to merge, then members of both parties would be, by Statute, removed from the House of Commons. Left without any substantive force to create Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition (assuming that the merging parties are from the opposition), the Government of Canada could rush a program through the House — even if that Government were to have a minority of the seats. This would be even worse, if one of the participants had been the Government! The Ministry would be governing from outside the House.
  • This would put an inappropriate amount of power in the hands of the leaders of the parties. A party leader could be more prone to remove someone from his or her caucus in the event that he or she refused to abide by the party's wishes, with the knowledge that such a member not likely be re-elected as an independent — he or she would be more prone to nominate a more "trustworthy" member (from the perspective of the leader, anyway).
I have to go to bed now, though; school tomorrow (which means I should be signed into Canadian Content the entire time, hehehe...) — and thus, good night. Hope to continue this discussion at a later time.