Harper apparently wants election

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Harper dares opposition to block child care plan
CTV.ca News Staff

If opposition parties don't like his government's proposed child care allowance, they can vote against the government's forthcoming budget, says Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

"We were elected on this, we ran on this, we know it's popular," Harper told reporters in Burnaby, B.C.

"We know it's particularly popular with parents who have pre-school children, so we are going to proceed with it."

Budgets or money-related bills are considered votes of confidence in the government. If the Conservative government was defeated on its budget, an election would be triggered. The last one was held Jan. 23.

"So I hope the opposition considers the alternatives very carefully," Harper said.

The Tory plan delivers a $1,200 per year child care allowance for each child under six.

The prime minister, attending a discussion at a Burnaby community centre, told people his plan:

Requires no federal-provincial negotiations;
No funding for academics, researchers or special interest groups;
Cuts out the bureaucratic middleman
"It provides real support, it provides direct payment, and it will be ready to go to as soon as Parliament approves it," he said.

The former Liberal government's approach was to negotiate federal-provincial agreements to develop new regulated child care spaces.

Asked if he was afraid the opposition parties wouldn't support his plan, Harper said, "there's been a lot of beating of chests, particularly by the Liberal Party."

There seemed to be two distinct schools of criticism emerging, he said.

"The NDP and the Bloc are saying the program doesn't go far enough or doesn't pay enough, and they're suggesting some ways to make sure families get the benefits they should. And we're interested in looking at those changes.

"But the Liberal Party is opposed to the idea of paying benefits at all."

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060418/harper_childcare_060418

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada is talking about an election now, then perhaps he's not quite as prepared to make concessions to the constructive criticism of the Bloc Québécois and the New Democratic Party of Canada as he would like Canada to believe. If he would take out his abacus for a moment, he would see that he doesn't have a majority, and would consider negotiating his initiatives with the other parties.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Can't you guys see what Harper is doing? He's daring the opposition to block it, if they don't he wins, if they do, he still wins because the opposition forced an early election. Plus, he's bringing to Parliament a legislation he ran on his pre-election platform. And, the opposition will look bad for blocking money to the people. At least that's the way I would see it.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
In my opinion (this may sound partisan, but that's just too bad, I don't know how else to express my opinion on this subject), Mr. Harper is engaging in a very dangerous game. There's a good chance that Mr. Harper could reap great rewards for his party through properly orchestrating the defeat of his Government of Canada. However, there is a chance that he could be destroyed for having done so — stranger things have happened in terms of our elections. If Mr. Harper is actually interested in providing good governance for Canadians, then he won't risk throwing out the Thirty-ninth Parliament of Canada — I think there remains potential for good stuff to be done during this Government's minority mandate.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: Harper apparently wan

God forbid I should disagree with you, FiveParadox, but what do you think is going to come out of a Conservative government?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Jersay said:
But the people did not elect him on his child care platform. They elected him on crime and Accountability.

Prove it.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Jay, prove otherwise.

Mr. Harper doesn't have a majority of the seats in the House of Commons. For the Prime Minister to attempt to govern as if he has three hundred eight Conservative seats in the House is arrogant, and he would be wise to consider a more humble approach to a minority situation. I would have hoped that Mr. Harper would have learned the lessons forced upon the previous Government.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think not, I was referring to the "minority lesson", heh. The Liberal Party of Canada had less than two years to learn that lesson, and they had a stronger minority than does the present Government of Canada. In the interest of a stable Parliament of Canada for a reasonable amount of time, I would hope that the Government is going to negotiate with opposition parties to ensure that this Parliament lives.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Harper apparently wants election

FiveParadox said:
Jay, prove otherwise.

Mr. Harper doesn't have a majority of the seats in the House of Commons. For the Prime Minister to attempt to govern as if he has three hundred eight Conservative seats in the House is arrogant, and he would be wise to consider a more humble approach to a minority situation. I would have hoped that Mr. Harper would have learned the lessons forced upon the previous Government.

Harper ran on about 5 items. Child care is one of them.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

FiveParadox said:
I think not, I was referring to the "minority lesson", heh. The Liberal Party of Canada had less than two years to learn that lesson, and they had a stronger minority than does the present Government of Canada. In the interest of a stable Parliament of Canada for a reasonable amount of time, I would hope that the Government is going to negotiate with opposition parties to ensure that this Parliament lives.

I know, I was just yanking your chain. :wink: :lol:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
It's just like the Throne Speech talk..."oh Harper better listen to everyone else but himself or they will fall the government".....and what happened?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Jay said:
Harper ran on about 5 items. Child care is one of them.
I don't think there's any question on that particular issue.

However, he was elected with one hundred twenty-five (125) seats, the weakest Government of Canada (in terms of its presence in the House of Commons) in the history of Canada. He was not elected with a majority, and therefore according to our system of governance, the wishes of the Government are not absolute.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
so Harper's trying to make this the "Child Care" budget.

clever

we'll see if the opposition is clever enough to change the topic.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
btw,

with Joe Clark and Kim Campbell in the repetoire, I don't think the Cons should make too many assumptions.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I think not said:
Can't you guys see what Harper is doing? He's daring the opposition to block it, if they don't he wins, if they do, he still wins because the opposition forced an early election. Plus, he's bringing to Parliament a legislation he ran on his pre-election platform. And, the opposition will look bad for blocking money to the people. At least that's the way I would see it.

I find this statement of yours very disturbing because I agree with your analysis. I wonder what the numbers are for potential recipiants, how much of the electorate do they represent, and what wage bracket are they in.