Canadian Military Brass muzzled

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Prime Minister Stephen Harper has forbidden Canada's top military brass from speaking publicly for fear of detracting attention from his government's top priorities.

A top military officer said the Prime Minister's Office recently told Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Rick Hillier his speaking engagements had to be approved and his speeches would be vetted by Harper's staff.

Hillier was told to advise his top generals, admirals and commodores that the order applies to them.

A source close to Hillier said the general hauled in military brass to a closed-door meeting and verbally relayed the instructions.

GO THROUGH PMO

The senior military officer who attended the meeting said Hillier told brass they were to clear all media interview requests with the PMO. So far all requests for interviews have been turned down by the PM's staff.

"They don't want anything to detract from their five messages or lead to debate or discussion," said the source, who asked for anonymity to avoid repercussions himself.

Lower-ranking soldiers can still answer questions on their responsibilities and the programs they work in without having to seek PMO approval, the senior official said.

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/National/2006/04/15/1535119-sun.html

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Don't worry, the PMO can't stifle debate in the House of Commons so if a soldier writes to his or her MP about this, this will be brought to light.

However, it is Canadians fault to elect the fascist dictator Harper to power.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
What is ridiculous? Harper preventing the brass from turning into politicians? Military has no position commenting on anything without administration knowing about it. The military isn't a democracy.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
In Canada, the military is a non-political identity, and Hillier has said repeatedly in his comments that he and his Generals are not political. The only purpose Generals have is to demand money from whoever is in charge of Canada.

Maybe it has something to do with suspension of military funding.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I think not said:
What is ridiculous? Harper preventing the brass from turning into politicians? Military has no position commenting on anything without administration knowing about it. The military isn't a democracy.

Exactly.

Soldiers are simply NOT PERMITTED to publically disagree with government military policy.

It has always been thus.

Take note Jersay.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
:lol:

I would like to see Harper come and silence me with his little cronies. If he does something I don't think is right for the military I will make it known.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Harper isn't doing himself any good by gaging his people. They will get tired of it, those that voted Conservative will grow tired of it and the media will hound him like a dog with a bone. He is starting to look like a Dictator not a Prime Minister. Me thinks he wants Hillier gone because he really does have his finger on the pulse of the Military where as the Minister of National Defense is nothing more that a retired lobbiest for rich Military Contractors. Those two never got along and have a history,they will force him out to put in a puppet General.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Jersay said:
:lol:

I would like to see Harper come and silence me with his little cronies. If he does something I don't think is right for the military I will make it known.

And, if you do so in a public fashion while in uniform, you will be court marshalledn and thrown out of the military.

I appreciate your desire to serve, and I thank you, but I really wonder if you are cut out for the military.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Sassylassie said:
Harper isn't doing himself any good by gaging his people. They will get tired of it, those that voted Conservative will grow tired of it and the media will hound him like a dog with a bone. He is starting to look like a Dictator not a Prime Minister. Me thinks he wants Hillier gone because he really does have his finger on the pulse of the Military where as the Minister of National Defense is nothing more that a retired lobbiest for rich Military Contractors. Those two never got along and have a history,they will force him out to put in a puppet General.

That's quite a leap, Sassy.

From preventing Hillier from discussing gov't policy to wanting him fired is quite a leap.

And our Minister of Defense actually has a history in the military, unlike the bean-counters and social engineers who served in that capacity under the Liberals.

I remember Lewis MacKenzie speaking of a time when he was to appear before a Parliamentary Committee. This was while he was still a soldier. He was brought a precis of EXACTLY what he was to say, and he was ordered to say nothing else. The government controled his testamony in front of PARLIAMENT for God's sake. As a soldier, he understood his duty was to obey, and he did so.

BTW, that was the LIBERALS.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Jersay said:
Agreed.

Hopefully people realize quickly Harper is just a right-wing nutball Dictator. The kind the U.S likes. I might add. :wink:

Those are the kind of comments that make the fringe left look...well.....even more fringe....putting it mildly.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Those are the kind of comments that make the fringe left look...well.....even more fringe....putting it mildly.

He wants to be a little dictator controlling everything that has to do with his government. And because he is right-wing, he is a rightwing dictator, and since relations are improving with America, a dictator America likes. :D

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Jersay

I don't pretend to know much about Canadian politics, I don't even pretend to know much about American politics for that matter. But what I do know, is characterizing situations with radical terms does very little to make an intelligent argument.

Harper is not only right in not allowing the generals shooting off their mouths, it's his obligation. The military takes orders from the government, if they cannot do that, then it's time replace the brass with someone else. I'll say it again, they take orders and do what they do best. Fight. Everything else is politics which the military doesn't belong.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think not, the Canadian Forces have never been an entity known for their political statements — they are an apolitical body. The "gag order" from the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada, serves only to prevent the Forces from voicing their concerns (such as making public requests for new funding, or recommendations in terms of internal military administration) to ensure that only announcements which would favour the current Government of Canada are released. The Government is using this gag order to turn the Forces into an unintending advocate for a Conservative Government.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Canadian Military Brass muzzled

FiveParadox said:
(such as making public requests for new funding, or recommendations in terms of internal military administration)

That's the Defense Ministers job is it not? In case you are not aware there is a chain of command in the military. This is no exception.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I am quite aware of that, I think not. But the Canadian Forces have never kept any secrets in relation to lacking resources, and wanting more equipment, or asking for funds. Yes, the Minister of Defence can do so, but so can the Forces (and they have). I would assume that this is a contrast of sorts to the United States Armed Forces, judging by your response?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Canadian Military Brass muzzled

FiveParadox said:
I am quite aware of that, I think not. But the Canadian Forces have never kept any secrets in relation to lacking resources, and wanting more equipment, or asking for funds. Yes, the Minister of Defence can do so, but so can the Forces (and they have). I would assume that this is a contrast of sorts to the United States Armed Forces, judging by your response?

No its the same, via Senata Appropriations Committee, but it's limited budget related issues, not internal reorganization.