No alliance between NDP and Liberals: Layton

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
MONTREAL (CP) - The federal Liberals are wasting their time trying to persuade the New Democrats to form an alliance of so-called left-wing forces in an attempt to take power back from Stephen Harper's Conservatives, says NDP Leader Jack Layton.

In an interview with a Montreal newspaper, Layton said the Liberals are far from a left-wing party and that the sponsorship scandal has tarnished the party's image for a long time to come, especially in Quebec.

Layton added that the NDP risks sabotaging the gains the party has made in Quebec and the rest of Canada if it aligns itself with the Liberals.

Last week, several Liberal leadership hopefuls - notably former Ontario NDP premier Bob Rae and former Harvard professor Michael Ignatieff - called on "progressive forces" to unite in order counter Harper's government.

"To unite things, there has to be a similarity between those things," Layton told a newspaper in an interview published Saturday.

"I don't find the Liberal party to be a left-wing party. From time to time, they take on a left-wing facade. But if you examine its policies and its record while in power, it's not left-wing.

As examples, Layton pointed to Pierre Trudeau's controversial decision to invoke the War Measures Act during the October Crisis of 1970 and large corporate tax cuts under the governments of Paul Martin and Jean Chretien.

The NDP leader also said he isn't attaching much importance to the Liberal leadership race.

"The Liberal party leadership race can't be considered something serious," he told the French-language daily. "People look at the race like it's a soap opera."

Last May, the NDP agreed to support Paul Martin's minority government in exchange for increased spending on social and environmental programs in the Liberal budget.

But Layton told a newspaper that during their last months in power, he realized the Liberals lacked vision.

The NDP eventually withdrew its support for the Liberals, triggering January's election that saw the Tories take power for the first time since 1993.

http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/NationalNewsArticle.htm?src=n041519A.xml

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: No alliance between N

I wouldn't like it if the Liberals and the NDP joined forces.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I am totally glad as an NDP supporter that the NDP will not now or in the future join in an alliance with the Liberal party of Canada. The two parties are just too totally different.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I've seen worse alliances in the world, Communist Parties forming alliance governments with Right Wing parties. Nothing is impossible in the world of politics.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
But this would be the worst of the worst alliance.

I think an alliance with the NDP would be worse for the Liberals than for the NDP. The two parties combined don't have enough seats for a majority. Why would either party entertain such an idea?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Both the Liberals and the NDP are watered down versions of what they used to be. I was a New Democrat for years, and I still lean that way but as for membership, not anymore. The NDP has lost its way, and is losing its ties with labour and some of the other social groups that supported its cause.
My problems with the party started when Ujjal the great liberal, took over the NDP and they followed him like sheep, to the slaughter I might add. I knew Ujjal was a liberal from the start, and when the party voted him to be the premier it showed how far they strayed from their base core of beliefs.
I am more of a Tommy Douglas oriented New Democrat, that being socially progressive and fiscally conservative.