Loose lips sink careers

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
OTTAWA (CP) - Ministers in the new Conservative government have been warned they could be banned from travelling, publicly humiliated or even fired for verbal gaffes.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper is determined not to have his agenda derailed and his ministers have been made aware they will face punishment for loose-lipped indiscretions.

Harper's chief of staff, Ian Brodie, has given colleagues in ministers' offices stark warnings about varying sanctions for cabinet members who either embarrass or contradict the government in public, sources say.

The worst of those penalties - being dumped from cabinet, shuffled to another portfolio, or barred from official trips - have not been imposed yet.

But the lesser punishment of public embarrassment has been swiftly levelled on at least two cabinet ministers and one B.C. MP.

All have been forced to publicly swallow their words in pride-pummeling mea culpas within hours of causing unwanted headlines.

"It's constant," one government official said of the pressure on ministers.

"The message comes from the top: if you (mess) up you will publicly and embarrassingly retract - no 'ifs,' 'ands' or 'buts.'

"So stick to the party line, or you'll go out there and tell the whole world that you're a dumb (jerk) who screwed up."

Industry Minister Maxime Bernier became the latest victim this week. Bernier told a radio interviewer that Canada could lose its legal battle against the U.S., and that taxpayers shouldn't be left covering loan guarantees for the softwood industry.

At the urging of the Prime Minister's Office, he issued a press release to declare that his remarks on lumber did not reflect the views of either his government or even his own department.

"Mr. Bernier clarified his position," was all Harper said about his minister's comments.

Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay has been on the job for just two months but has already been compelled to hold a news conference and issue a press release to clarify a pair of statements - one about hostages in Iraq and another about aid for the Hamas-led Palestinian government.

http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/NationalNewsArticle.htm?src=n041411A.xml

Can anyone say dictatorship.

I can.

Also, if Harper let his ministers loose, just think how quickly they would fall.

And finally, has everyone heard of Humdy Dumdy, I think Humdy Dumdy is setting himself up for a fall.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
RE: Loose lips sink caree

You'd think this guy was edumacated by the current Repugnant Party in Washington. Oh, that's right, all Canadian Repugnants, ermm, Conservatives, get their little how-to politics&electioneering course down in Virginia (or summat) from the Repugs as I recall reading on these very forums last year.

aside: Bravo media for standing up to that wannabe facist prick who calls himself our Prime Minister!!!

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Agreed. The little fascist dictator hopefully will loose because the majority of Canadians, and a only a dislusional few are conservative and don't support his radical 'Republican' like views.

I think Harper is confascist while most of his supporters are just conservatives that were mislead by his weaseling like most other Canadians who elected him.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005

I agree about people being mislead. I also believe a large part of it is that these same people took the "change for the sake of change" attitude. I wish someone woulda told them this not some cheesy home-reno reality show; this is our country and our lives.

The media in Canada, imo, is pretty unbiased for the most part (when compared to other places) and that they could and should band together and give Harper a shot of his own medicine. Refuse to cover some announcements, when a minister or conservative member sidesteps a question, instead of quoting him, write in plain-speak "Mr. SoandSo sidestepped the question". The media have way more power to trash and bring down this government than they seem to believe, if only they excercise that option.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton

While I disagree with Harpers direction personally, in the real working world, we have to abide by the same principals. I am required by my contract not to bad mouth my employer to the press or in public. So why would it be any different for the government workers?

However..for someone who supposedly is a proponent of whistleblower protection, it sounds to me that he does not want anyone to speak out against the government while on his turff.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005

Governmental workers work for and are paid by US, the people of this country. If you disagree then I say we all with-hold our taxes and see how many have jobs within a few years. They are accountable to the people, as trite as that sounds, it is nonetheless TRUE. An elected official is placed there by who? ... that's right... the people of his/her/it's constituency. We hired them, not the other way around.

It boggles my mind that people believe the government should act like a private corporation. It isn't a private corporation, it's mandate is to act in the best interests of the people of the nation, not to accumulate some indefinite growth of profit.