Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay

Liberty

Apr 7, 2006
Hey to any one who thinks that Chicken Little Harper's Government is open and friendly to the Canadian Voter, think again because statements like the one bellow is worrisome to say the least. Talking about a hidden behind closed doors agenda or what, when you hear the foreign affairs minister make an ass of him self buy suggesting Jail to journalists who make a journalistic guff. Imagine these guys in office for a full term what a night mare that would be.

"Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay has been on the job for just two months but has already been compelled to hold a news conference and issue a press release to clarify a pair of statements - one about hostages in Iraq and another about aid for the Hamas-led Palestinian government.

B.C. MP Colin Mayes quickly issued a press release to "retract without reservation" his suggestion that journalists should be jailed if they write misleading stories." :( :( :( :oops: :twisted: :lol:

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks for the informative post. I had not heard anything about someone saying "journalists should be jailed if they write misleading stories".

Do you have a link? I will go google right now....\

Ahh, there it is...
“Maybe it is time that we hauled off in handcuffs reporters that fabricate stories, or twist information and even falsely accuse citizens,” he writes.

“The media has blatantly painted a picture that our government is not open and transparent,” he writes. “We were elected just two months ago to run the affairs of the country for the people, not to accommodate the media.”

Along with business people, politicians and public servants, the media also has the public trust, he writes.

While not all media are bad, the Tory backbencher says, “boy, would the public get accurate and true information if a few reporters were hauled away to jail!”

http://tinyurl.com/rlpvk

------

It's believed the MP was reacting to an editorial in the Vernon Daily Courier slamming Prime Minister Stephen Harper for ordering that all comments from federal cabinet ministers must be cleared by the Prime Minister's office.

The Vernon paper is one of several in the Okanagan which have refused to publish columns from local MPs since Harper issued that edict.

http://www.cbc.ca/bc/story/bc_mayes2006.html

----------------
I also saw while googling that Harper is warning his MPs they better not leak stuff.

But I am wondering whats behind this threat to journalists? Were they not being "good little minions"to the government-of-the-day?
Apparently not, having reported that Harper was muzzling his cabinet members. This is what Tory MP Colin Mayes was up in arms about. Not the bigger morality of protecting the public from media slander and or lies, something which must be as rare and as little of a problem to people like you and I as , oh, a gnat.

Not much of an issue to start off his MP carreer with is it?

What he IS doing is that he is showing the NWO* people that he is willing to do "whatever it takes", that he has the attitude they like - death threats and that sort of thing. He would go all the way for them, and this was all about showing them that, as every MP wanting to move up in the ranks of the NWO is looking for opportunities to do that.

--------------------------
* NWO - the New World Order people are difficult to define, but suffice to say they are the "powerfull wealthy ones" who arrange things like getting Bush elected, and now Harper. They set the agenda thru Bilderber and such groups. They are a global domination group who uses America as it's base of operations, but they are not americans per se.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I'm also for hauling away politicians for fabricated news articles. Plenty of those have happened in Iraq.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
But I am wondering whats behind this threat to journalists? Were they not being "good little minions"to the government-of-the-day?

No, but what I suspect has happened is somewhat twofold.

First, in the 2004 election campaign, the media was so solidly behind Martin and the Liberals, that they did not even try to check out any of the things Martin said, many of which were out and out lies. The media simply repeated these verbatim as if they were absolute truth. So, technically, the media did not lie, but they did not excercise responsible journalism.

Second, how many times in the past has the media criticized either the Alliance or Reform parties for having members state things out of line with official policy? How many times did the media wonder how anyone could hope that Harper (or Manning, or Day) could run a country when he could not keep his own members in line? The answer to both questions is "several times, and on numerous occasions".

To now be critical of Harpers stance on this issue simply points out the hypocrisy of the media yet again, vis-a-vis their relationship with the CPC.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Geez, I hope the conservatives don't turn into media whiners like the Bush admin. If they do I will definitely not support them in the future. Nothing worse than listening to snivelling over reporting when the damn industry is owned by Conrad Black etal.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I hope CBC doesn't do cutting edge reporting like CNN. If you haven't any news to report follow CNN's example: An example: I have live coverage of a green door, John what's happening on the ground? Well Lisa it is a green door but where this door leads I'm not sure-back to you Lisa. John has this green door been opened and what is behind the green door? I don't know Lisa but the green door could open at anytime. John that is a very large green door do you think it could be dangerous. That is what CNN is like to watch.