Nunavut Next on Jean's Cross-country Tour

Do you support the Governor General, in terms of her cross-country tour?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't know / Prefer not to respond

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
From April 17, 2006, to April 21, 2006, Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General of Canada, and His Excellency Jean-Daniel Lafond, are going to make their first official visit to the Territory of Nunavut (in particular, Their Excellencies are to visit Iqaluit and Cape Dorset).

Her Excellency plans on focusing on activities in relation to women's issues, youth and culture during her first visit to the young territory. The Governor General has expressed a desire to travel across the country, to meet citizens in every province and territory within one year. In my opinion, her speeches, addresses and actions as the representative of Her Majesty the Queen of Canada have, thus far, been one of the most successful efforts to bring Canadian culture, life and unity to the forefront in many years — in my opinion for this, she should be commended.

The Web site for the [color=#bb0000 said:
Governor General of Canada[/color]]"I look forward to my first visit to Nunavut as a unique opportunity to discover the Far North, its people, its genuinely untamed and untouched landscapes, and its time-honoured traditions," said the Governor General. "I am eager to listen to elected officials, community leaders, agents of social change, artists, elders, mothers and fathers, and youth and to hear about their concerns and aspirations."

Click here to read the entire article in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire l'article entier en français.
What do you think? Is Her Excellency doing a good job so far in her mandate, and have her speeches, words and actions so far been warranting of the explicit trust vested in her, and the resources directed toward the office of the Governor General? Has Canada benefitted from her appointment, in your opinion?

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Governor General of Canada.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I think she's doing a great job. Instead of flying to France to understand the French culture she'd go to Quebec. It's wonderful to see her take an interest in Native's and their culture.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Didn't the last CBC supplied GG just finish a nothern tour that cost millions? Clarkson took a slew of people with her. Why they qualified to go that junket was anyone's guess.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Clarkson vs. Jean

Correct, Jersay; the Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson, P.C., C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., was a less-than-amazing Governor General of Canada (however, her public speaking abilities were superb). Moreover, she seemed to have a tendency to spend more than was quite necessary. I have much higher hopes for Her Excellency.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Ms Jean is doing a good job so far. Wait and see her spending habits.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
zoofer said:
Didn't the last CBC supplied GG just finish a nothern tour that cost millions? Clarkson took a slew of people with her. Why they qualified to go that junket was anyone's guess.

The northern tour you're referring to was the Northern Hemisphere countries, Iceland, Norway, finland, russia, Siberia..etc...That's why it cost millyuns, and yes, it was a waste.

I think this more localized northern tour will be much less, and more beneficial for the new GG to experience our own land.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Re: RE: Nunavut Next on Jean's Cross-country Tour

jimmoyer said:
Do Nunavut women have the right to vote ?

I remember hearing their assembly
in Baffin Island discuss it over
CBC shortwave radio very late at night some 7 years
ago.

HAHAHAHAHA, *Sniff.

I don't know where you heard that, but Nunavumiut women have always been allowed to vote, and the time you must've heard that debate, Nunavut didn't exist yet. I wonder what it was about though? That type of topic is certainly news to me.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
The Legislative Assembly of Nunavut is located in Iqaluit .

There are no parties in Nunavut.

Members
Leona Aglukkaq -Nattilik
Olayuk Akesuk - SouthBaffin
David Alagalak -Arviat
James Arreak - Uqqummiut
Levi Barnabas -Quttiktuq
Levinia Brown Rankin InletSouth/Whale Cove
Tagak Curley - Rankin InletNorth
Joe AllenEvyagotailak - Kugluktuk
Peter Kattuk - HudsonBay
Peter Kilabuk -Pangnirtung
Steve Mapsalak -Akulliq
Patterk Netser -Nanulik
Jobie Nutarak -Tunnuniq
Paul Okalik - Iqaluit West
Keith Peterson -Cambridge Bay
Ed Picco - Iqaluit East
David Simailak - BakerLake
Louis Tapardjuk -Amittuq
Hunter Tootoo - IqaluitCentre

All men.

But I'm too lazy to look up any record of the debate.

Thanks, Jersay.

By the way, April 1, 1999.

I guess their culture has no need for FOOL'S DAY.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Recently I think I hear a complaint that most of these elected representatives are men and non-aboriginal most of them.

And there has been complaints because of it.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Jersay said:
To defend jim, 7 years ago was 1999 when Nunavut was first created.

Well, technically it was actually Officcialized April 1, 2000. But you're probably right about the 1999 thing. (I remember a shitload of Nunavut clothing & stuff come out then) However the name and conceptualization of Nunavut was being hashed out a little before 1989. My friends father Simon Taipana took part in some of the aspects, and as you can see it took awhile to get the ball rolling.

:scratch: I'm just curious about that voting thing Jim was talking about.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Jersay said:
I don't know if it has to do with voting or deciding to run to be elected. Do women have the right to run?

Oh yeah. Cambridge bay had a Mayoral election a few months ago. A sister of one of my friends was running.