Is it worth it for us to be in Afghanistan?

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

We are in Afghanistan fighting a battle that just isn't worth fighting.
First, Afghanistan never threatened Canada. And second, Canada isn't sitting in a pile of money right now. We have a $500 billion national debt and bunch of problems such as health care and poverty. Afghanistan is costing Canadians billions of dollars.

So what are we getting out of Afghanistan. NOTHING!!!

All of money we have spent Afghanistan would have bought the military all new equipment.

And just for the record everyone, I do support our military, but not on this mission. I just don't like the way my tax dollars are being spent.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
JonB2004 said:

First, Afghanistan never threatened Canada. And second, Canada isn't sitting in a pile of money right now. We have a $500 billion national debt and bunch of problems such as health care and poverty. Afghanistan is costing Canadians billions of dollars.

All of money we have spent Afghanistan would have bought the military all new equipment.

And just for the record everyone, I do support our military, but not on this mission. I just don't like the way my tax dollars are being spent.

I think it is worth it to be there, cause it is important that we help to built a pipeline that will reach and provide oil to china for our economy with the americans, harper is smarter than the general public think.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: Is it worth it for us

If you can support us invading a country for oil, you are a idiot.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Aeon was being sarcastic, and so was I. And Afghanistan doesn't have oil, nor is the pipeline transporting oil, it's transporting gas, and most of the gas isn't going to China, it's going to India, and what possible benefit can be obtained from the US going to war and providing gas to India and China?

Anybody?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
JonB2004 said:

First of all, Afghanistan is hardly costing "billions" of dollars.

Secondly, if we (meaning the West) abandon Afghanistan, the power vacuum would soon be filled by the Taliban, and then we WOULD be getting something out of Afghanistan........suicide bombers, terrorists, guys that fly full passenger aircraft into tall buildings........

What we wouldn;t get, from any other nation on earth, is respect.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

The only way I believe we should be in Afghanistan is if they threatened us, which they did not. We need the money for people in Canada. We have an 16% child poverty rate. That's disgusting. Canada comes first before other things.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Is it worth it for us

JonB2004 said:
The only way I believe we should be in Afghanistan is if they threatened us, which they did not. We need the money for people in Canada. We have an 16% child poverty rate. That's disgusting. Canada comes first before other things.

First of all, we have international treaty obligations, to NATO and to the USA.

We were attacked, as any attack on the United States or Canada is considered an attack on both.

The people of Afghanistan need us.

Gotta go argue later.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Presence in Afghanistan

JonB2004, whether or not you agree with the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, the fact remains that the treaty presents certain obligations that must be respected insofar as Canada is a signator to the treaty — refusing to abide by the terms of the treaty would not be an appropriate course of action, in my opinion. If it would no longer be in Canada's interest to remain a member to the treaty, then we should urge our representatives in the Parliament of Canada to endeavour to remove ourselves from the agreement — but until then, as noted, we are obligated to abide by the provisions of that agreement.

:arrow: Our Presence in Afghanistan

I support the current presence of the Canadian Forces, in terms of the mission in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan — some members above have made it sound as though we are in some sort of battle against Afghanistan, but this is not the case. We are in a battle with and for Afghanistan, and I think that we most certainly do have something to get out of this — a longterm friend.

I think that it is important for Canada to have strong ties to not only North American and European nations, but to those elsewhere, such as those in the Middle East — strong relationships with nations across the world are beneficial to Canada, and this intervention, wherein we are assisting the people of Afghanistan to reclaim a civil social atmosphere in a ravaged nation, can only serve to strengthen our relationship with Afghanistan.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

Helping Afghanistan is none of our business, FiveParadox. And I don't care about making friends with other countries. All I care about is Canada.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Thankfully Jon Canada didn't cop that attitude when we were Asked to go in to Afghanistan and aide that country on it's path to peace. Just because Canada is a great place to live and most Canadians live a good life doesn't excuse from having a Global Conscience. Not all threats to Canada are domestic!

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

Its other countries responsibilities to be self-reliant. If they can't control what's going on in their country, then oh well. I'm sick of my money being wasted on other countries. Most people in Canada don't live good lives. They are just making it by with their bills. Their is so much poverty in this country that it is disgusting. And I'm tired of it.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Well I'm sick of the weak, lame and lazy generation in Canada between the ages of 18-23 that won't work for what they deem low wages and their education consist of grade 12. That and a six pack will get you jack shit. I live in a community that is dependant of foreign veggie pickers because the local lads won't work for $10 an hour, it's un-worthy of them. If this isn't insulting enough they complain about foreigner's taking their jobs. Hello, get a grip you lazy little Pr&&ks. So what do they do hang around Tim Hortons in their jazzed up sports cars and get UI or welfare. I'd rather my tax dollars went to help stabalize Afghanistan than feed these lazy arse picks.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Notwithstanding the fact that I fall into the age group you identified, Sassylassie, I agree with the sentiment of your post. As for you, JonB2004, I vehemently oppose the attitude that your posts seem to present to the forum — one which sort of says "We don't need to give a shit about anyone else — every person for themselves, let the bastards die."

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Re: RE: Is it worth it for us

JonB2004 said:
Canada is in Afghanistan because of 9/11, Canadians were killed on 9/11 or did you forget that? The Taliban supported and gave haven to Al Qaeda and Bin Laden who were responsible for 9/11.

Canada is in Afghanistan as a member of NATO trying to bring peace and a chance for a new life for the Afghanis after 30 years of War we are not there for oil or a pipeline, those kind of comments undermine Canadian Troops in Afghanistan.

Stop being so selfish saying Canada shouldn't be there because Afghanistan did nothing to us, if that was true then what business did Canada have being in Europe during World War II on Juno Beach?

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Re: Presence in Afghanistan

FiveParadox said:
JonB2004, whether or not you agree with the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, the fact remains that the treaty presents certain obligations that must be respected insofar as Canada is a signator to the treaty — refusing to abide by the terms of the treaty would not be an appropriate course of action, in my opinion. If it would no longer be in Canada's interest to remain a member to the treaty, then we should urge our representatives in the Parliament of Canada to endeavour to remove ourselves from the agreement — but until then, as noted, we are obligated to abide by the provisions of that agreement.

:arrow: Our Presence in Afghanistan

I support the current presence of the Canadian Forces, in terms of the mission in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan — some members above have made it sound as though we are in some sort of battle against Afghanistan, but this is not the case. We are in a battle with and for Afghanistan, and I think that we most certainly do have something to get out of this — a longterm friend.

I think that it is important for Canada to have strong ties to not only North American and European nations, but to those elsewhere, such as those in the Middle East — strong relationships with nations across the world are beneficial to Canada, and this intervention, wherein we are assisting the people of Afghanistan to reclaim a civil social atmosphere in a ravaged nation, can only serve to strengthen our relationship with Afghanistan.
Well said, being a member of NATO means if Canada was ever attacked in anyway NATO would be there to offer aid and defend Canada, this is one of the many benefits of being a member of NATO.

Canada is in a battle along with NATO to stop the Taliban from regaing control of Afghanistan, the Afghanis need Canada and NATO there until they are able to stand on their own, it will not be easy and it's a long hard road ahead and it will be done.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I have no patience for the atitude of "Canada first and last" we were a victim of Sept 11 also and our Military isn't a Canadian Police force but a Military.

I have no idea if you fall into the sub-group of young people I described earlier Jon.

Five you were born with the soul of a forty year old, not all young people between the ages of18-23 fall into the weak, lame and lazy but a large portion of what I see in NS seem to.