Independent Palestine
Environics March 31, 2006

Conservative 41

Liberal 22

NDP 21

Bloc 10

Green 5

Alright.

A Conservative failure and it will be the NDP will be in control. They should do a poll after the debate to see which party was effected.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
That's hilarious!

I sincerely hope the Conservatives rule for a decade while the left deals with vote-splitting. Talk about what goes around......

Viva Harper.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Jersay said:
Viva la Jack Layton and his little mustache.

Should the NDP and Liberals unite into the Liberal Democrats?

Might be good for the nation.

Some of the right of the Liberals woud jump, but not all that many.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: Liberals and NDP Tied

Yikes. Harper for 10 years. I'm going to hide in a hole. Call me when its over.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Should the Liberals and NDP unite.

If the two conservatives party hadn't united they wouldn't have won the election.

Its a tough choice. But me personally, I would have to say no.

Why?

Because it will go against each other's values, the Liberals pretend to care about working-class people while the NDP cares about working-class people.

If Harper or the right becomes to fanatical though maybe.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
Re: RE: Liberals and NDP Tied for Support

Colpy said:
I sincerely hope the Conservatives rule for a decade while the left deals with vote-splitting. Talk about what goes around......

What goes around?!? What the hell did the Liberals do to the Conservatives? It isn't like they caused the problems that Conservatives had over the last ten years. And someone said those on the left are bitter and angry. :roll:

Getting back to the topic, do you think that the Conservatives are going to be willing to consider electoral reform after they see numbers like these?

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

Now that the Conservatives have 41% support, they have the option to call a summer election and get a majority government. If that happens, I'm going to get my shovel and start digging a hole to hide in.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I hope you're not suggesting, JonB2004, that the Government of Canada would attempt to stage an election this summer — history has shown that Governments that have attempted to do this (to use the "snap election" method after serving only a few months) have been seriously punished by the electorate. It speaks, in my opinion, of arrogance on the part of a Government, and I would think that the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada, is much smarter than that.

It would be interesting to see if Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General of Canada, would even accept such advice from the Prime Minister — she would be within her prerogative to refuse the request, and urge the Prime Minister to attempt to continue to govern for a stable period of time.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Liberals and NDP Tied for Support

LittleRunningGag said:
Colpy said:

What goes around?!? What the hell did the Liberals do to the Conservatives? It isn't like they caused the problems that Conservatives had over the last ten years. And someone said those on the left are bitter and angry. :roll:

Getting back to the topic, do you think that the Conservatives are going to be willing to consider electoral reform after they see numbers like these?

Simple really.....The Liberals ruled with a majority government with only between 38% and 41% of the vote.........

The electoral reform question is a good one.....I hope so, but I still want a riding representative.......be it elected by transferable ballot or twinning of seats.

One never knows.....power corrupts.

I do hope the Conservatives get at least one majority mandate....it is time.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

Yes I'm suggesting that, FiveParadox. The Conservatives have a 125 seat minority government. And the Conservatives have a tendency to have short-lived minority governments, the longest being 6 months and 19 days. With high support levels, it is very possible for the Conservatives to call a summer election, so that they may win a majority government.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would be furious if the Conservative Party of Canada attempted to dissolve the Commons for an election in such short order — I would think that the citizens of Canada expect something to get done during this 39th Parliament of Canada, and I don't see how dissolving both Houses for another four, five or six months is going to do that.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Colpy said:
Should the NDP and Liberals unite into the Liberal Democrats?

Might be good for the nation.

Could we call them them Liemocrats instead?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Its bad enough the Tories are going to rule for a year or maybe two, let alone a decade. While I often side with the NDP, I don't know if I want the current party to actually rule. Smiling Jack Layton is an alright guy, but some of the others I could do without.