Hillier speech about the need for money

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Hillier calls for money from Ottawa to rebuild aging fleet of ships, aircraft
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at 17:36 on April 11, 2006, EST.
By STEVE ERWIN

TORONTO (CP) - Canada's military needs more money and recruits to better support missions such as the country's controversial operations in Afghanistan, the country's top soldier said Tuesday.

"I'm not ashamed to say we need money," Gen. Rick Hillier, Canada's chief of defence staff, said in a speech to a Toronto business audience. "If we want a helicopter, we don't need it 15 years from now in Afghanistan.... We need that helicopter in the very near future and actually, by September would be quite good."

Canadian military aircraft, ships, land vehicles and major systems "have all deteriorated" in recent years and funding hasn't yet returned to 1991 levels, Hillier said.

"We can do a lot of things...but we can't do near enough without the money to allow the Canadian Forces to turn itself inside out and be (a) relevant and responsive and effective Canadian Forces," he said.

The speech appeared aimed at sending a message to Canadians about the need for improved all-around support for military operations.

But Hillier refused to stop for questions by reporters following his address, one day after a Commons debate over the role of 2,300 personnel in Afghanistan, amid opinion polls that suggest Canadians are divided about the country's role in the war-torn region.

Twelve Canadians - 11 soldiers and one diplomat - have died since Canadian troops were first deployed in Afghanistan four years ago.

http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/NationalNewsArticle.htm?src=n041155A.xml

Now I hope, and this is a big hope that the Conservatives come through with more money for the military. That's the only thing they are good for, the military, I don't think they have any other use because they are just mini-American replicas.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
I hope that they get someone who knows SOMETHING about buying subs, seakings, etc who can suss out the lemons. Maybe, they could get a written guarantee on the purchases too... maybe that they have to last more than a few weeks...