Stronach won't run for Liberal Leadership

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

Stronach won't run for Liberal Leadership.
Liberal MP Belinda Stronach has announced she will not enter the race for the federal Liberal Leadership, saying she isn't happy with the way the party picks its leader.

"I'm announcing today that I will not seek the leadership of the Liberal Party of Canada," Stronach told a news conference in Ottawa. "This is not the end of the story for me. I'd say it's the beginning."

Stronach had a clear answer when she spoke with CTV's Mike Duffy on Thursday about whether this was the end of her leadership ambitions.

"Look, I'm not going away," she responded.

Stronach also told CTV that she was interested in, "pushing the envelope for ideas that will bring about greater renewal of the party."

The MP for Newmarket-Aurora told reporters that she could have launched a strong bid for the leadership, but she is more interested in being "free to express my views."

"I think I'm less restricted as a member of Parliament to speak about renewal from the grassroots up," she said.

Stronach said she "had a very decent chance of winning."

"But for me, the end game is not just about winning," she said.

Stronach also criticized the Liberal Party system that does not allow a one-member, one-vote system.

"In order to really restore trust in politicians, every day citizens need to feel that they are involved directly and have a say. That includes members of the Liberal Party," said Stronach.

"And I would rather see a Liberal Party with millions of members where each and every individual has a direct vote."

CTV's Ottawa bureau chief Robert Fife said "this is all about running the next time around."

By that time, she might be able to speak French," said Fife. "She may be able to get some policy ideas developed," he added.

"But for the Liberals, it's still a loss. She's a celebrity politician, in a way, and it would have been nice to have her on the platform as a leadership candidate."

The heiress of the Magna auto-parts empire gained notoriety in May of last year when she crossed from the Conservatives to a Liberal cabinet post amid a tight budget vote that could have toppled the government.

However, Fife said she would have faced tough competition from potential leadership candidates such as former NDP premier Bob Rae and rookie Liberal MP Michael Ignatieff.

Ignatieff and former cabinet minister Stephane Dion are both expected to announce their leadership campaigns tomorrow, according to a report in The Globe and Mail.

Yesterday, Gerard Kennedy resigned as Ontario's education minister to clear the way for his bid for the federal leadership.

"While I did not seek it, I now see the need for that kind of enabling leadership in the renewal of the Liberal Party of Canada," Kennedy told a news conference.

And recently, Rae joined the Liberal Party, suggesting he may also announce his intentions to run.

Former cities minister John Godfrey and Toronto lawyer Martha Hall Findlay have already declared their intention to run.

With Stronach now out of the race, female contenders may be limited.

Some Liberals had attempted to woo UN human-rights commissioner Louise Arbour to run, but she has said no, according to sources cited in The Globe.

Stronach said she wished more women would run.

"I'd love it if there were more women in Parliament, and there may be some women candidates that come forward to seek the leadership. I hope there are some," she said.

"At the end of the day, we only have 20 per cent of women in Parliament, so it's not working that well. And I'd like to see that we engage people more so."

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...onach_liberals_060406/20060406?hub=TopStories

Since Belinda Stronach isn't going to run for the Leadership which party will she run to now? :roll:

If the Liberals are still looking for a "Leader" they should try Hedy "Burning Crosses" Frey . :p

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
RE: Stronach won't run for Liberal leadership

Perhaps Belinda could join the republicans down South they will be looking for a new lLeader soon.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:roll: Well Jeez, that sets my mind at ease 8O .

The names of all these wannabees keep churning in my little mind:
Rae, Rock, etc.etc.

I was sort of hoping for Rock..........maybe a knife registration plan from him.......... :x It would only cost...... :?: :?:

Well, at least not Belinda. She is now free to pursue her goal of amassing ALL the money in Canada.

Politics certainly is a pail of writhing pus.

:idea: