Enough with the poor illegal immigrants

DasFX
Why is there so much about these illegal Portuguesse people who were deported.

link

How can I feel bad for people who knowingly break the law? Everyone thinks that since they were able to not get caught for 7 years that they should be able to stay?

I feel bad for the children since they were not in a position to do the right thing and return home when there visitor's visa expired. The children should be angry at their parents. They removed them from the society they knew in Portugal and brought them hear on vacation only to stay and commit an illegal act. Of course they became accoustomed to life here, and now they have to go home, somthing they should have done 6 years and 9 months ago.

How can we call these people honest and decent people when they blatantly broke our immigration laws. They are criminals. You don't have to kill someone, steal or assault to be considered a criminal.

Why bother having an immigration system at all if you think these people should stay. Sure they were nice and good people, but what if they hadn't been. What if they blew up the TTC? Then people would be up in arms asking how they slipped through the cracks and why didn't the government send them back sooner and so on.... The law is the law. You break it, you pay.

Jay
There is nothing about this situation that makes any sense.....I thought Portugal was a nice place anyways?

DasFX
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

There is nothing about this situation that makes any sense.....I thought Portugal was a nice place anyways?

Nice place or not, you still have to follow the rules.

Jay
True....I just wonder why being an illegal here would be better than a legal in Portugal....

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by DasFX

The law is the law. You break it, you pay.

You're right DasFx, the law is the law. The law however has one major flaw, it is never compassionate.

Jay
I don't know what to say to that.....we are known for being compassionate, how far is this supposed to go ITN?

I think not
I didn't say Canadians aren't compassionate, I said the law isn't, any law.

Jay
You were thinking it though....

DasFX
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

Quote: Originally Posted by DasFX

The law is the law. You break it, you pay.

You're right DasFx, the law is the law. The law however has one major flaw, it is never compassionate.

Compassion my ***! Who's going to be compassionate to the thousands of people who wait years going through the proper channels to immigrate here.

What message would it send to people if we started showing "compassion" by allowing these people to stay. It would say, screw the rules, just come here on a visitors visa and don't get caught for a few years and then you can stay.

You don't come to this country and try it out before you become a resident. What about the illegals who do not follow the line, the ones that make commit crimes against legal citizens, how do you combat this if you are saying that coming here illegally is okay.

A country, especially a country like Canada must maintain is borders and control who and what passes through them.

On what basis should we allow these people to stay? Because they worked (illegally)? Did they pay tax? Perhaps GST and other provincial sales tax, but I find it hard to believe that they paid income tax without a SIN card. They didn't cause any trouble? Well, how many crimes do you have to commit before you are considered a criminal?

sanch
They probably had a SIN as HRDC has been critiqued for not monitoring that system. There are over 500,000 SINís unaccounted for in Canada according to the auditor general.

These are not typical illegal immigrants. They are Europeans and can work anywhere in the EC. For some reason they donít recognize the opportunities they have.

The consultant who bilked them out of the $4500 and had them apply as refugees should be tracked down and prosecuted because these kinds of false claims create paper overloads and lengthier processing times and people who are entitled to asylum have to endure longer waits.

FiveParadox
Liberal
I think that we should create some sort of commission to look over the shoulder of the Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration, to ensure that (in terms of immigration and citizenship law, exclusively), compassion and common sense have a degree of sway. Furthermore, those who are requesting refugee status should not be deported from Canada unless the Government of Canada has proven, beyond a doubt, that there would be no danger to the persons being deported, if in fact they were so deported.

I think not
DasFX

That's a nice rant, but you will find it prohibitively expensive rounding up all the illegal immigrants and sending them back where they came from. One incident doesn't mean anything. You would be surprised how much it costs deporting an illegal immigrant. And it is not only costs, there aren't enough human resources to deal with all the illegal immigrants. You think you are sending a message to the rest of the illegal immigrants? Guess again, it's all a show.

Jay
How about we send them to the USA?

missile
Conservative
Great idea! Via the US/Mexico border

I think not
I was curious as to the extent of the costs involved for deportation of illegal immigrants, so I did some research. The Center for American Progress issued a study last year. Their numbers are alot worse than I thought. Between apprehension, detenttion, legal processing and finally deportation, it costs approximately $215,000 per illegal immigrant.

These are the numbers for the US, I can't imagine it is much less in Canada. And another thing, to deport all of them en masse, would cost $240 Billion over 5 years, not including the illegal immigrants getting in annually.

Jay
I wonder what it costs to prosecute petty theft in Canada.

Hank C
hey Canada should be thankful it doesnt share a border with a third world country where millions cross illegally each year and bringing down the quality of life. There are something like 12 million illegals living in the US. This little Portuguesse problem is just peanuts....but I agree with DasFX. If we need more people to work in the trades we should just up immigration numbers not turn a blind eye like the US did which is biting them in the *** now.

Jay
If we need more trades workers they should stop handing out BAs and level the playing field for collages.

unclepercy

I was curious as to the extent of the costs involved for deportation of illegal immigrants, so I did some research. The Center for American Progress issued a study last year. Their numbers are alot worse than I thought. Between apprehension, detenttion, legal processing and finally deportation, it costs approximately $215,000 per illegal immigrant.

These are the numbers for the US, I can't imagine it is much less in Canada. And another thing, to deport all of them en masse, would cost $240 Billion over 5 years, not including the illegal immigrants getting in annually.

That's why, IMHO, our country wants to make it a felony to be an illegal immigrant. The fear of being caught, put in jail, etc. would supposedly cause the illegals to run back to Mexico pronto. I have thought and thought - and you know, it is not a such bad idea. I can't think of a better one - considering the cost of deportation.

The front page story in our paper today was how Canada is paying immigrants (Mexican) to come to Quebec, even covering their airfare. They pick cucumbers. Then, they can go home during the winter to see their families, but the stats say 80% never return to Mexico. Hello. The interesting part was that the Mexicans working in Canada said they felt "wanted" in Canada, whereas in the US they were frightened because they were unwanted. Well, no kidding. We have too many as it is. You are welcome to them.

Uncle

darkbeaver
Republican

ITN did you ever notice how many organizations in your country use the word American in thier titles and how many times the word is slipped into newscasts and added to almost every sentence and plastered over all your products like milk and cheeze and garbage bags and stuff, it's really wierd.

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver

ITN did you ever notice how many organizations in your country use the word American in thier titles and how many times the word is slipped into newscasts and added to almost every sentence and plastered over all your products like milk and cheeze and garbage bags and stuff, it's really wierd.

No I haven't noticed, any point to this?

Toro
The word "Canada" or "Canadian" seems to be used more in Canada than "American" is in the US.

Retired_Can_Soldier
I have no problem with anyone who wants to start a new life here. It is how my ancestors arrived here and I'm how almost everyone on this post ancestor came.

I understand that we should not reward illegal activity, but these bums who sit on the Mexican border need to get a life.

I truly feel for many of these hardworking poor folk who are trying desperately to find a way to improve the lives of theirselves and their families.

I support Bushes guest worker program. Sad how these poor folk have been villified by the likes of Bill OReilly and Ann Coulter.

I really wish there was a better way.

zoofer
The Supreme Court ordered Rwandan war criminal Leon Muesera deported from Canada. 10 years later he is still here.

Africans sail to the Canary Islands. A thousand have landed of late. Many perish at sea. By refusing to say where they are from they cannot be returned to just any country. They end up freed in Spain a year or two later.

China refuses to take back 12,000 illegal immigrants. Whats the result? Western citizenship.

There are 46,000 missing illegals in Canada. Any surprise when the procedure is: Come back next month, here is a welfare cheque and there is the office.

Hank C

If you look closer you would find that your toothpaste, garbage bags and shaving cream etc..... are all made in the USA, imported to Toronto and distributed to your little corner of Canada.

Doryman

No I haven't noticed, any point to this?

Other than Trolling? Not likely.

How about we start bringing in foreign workers to work jobs when we run out of unemployed Canadians, mmmkay? Are you Ontarians running out of Newfie Migrant Labourers or what?

Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

If we need more trades workers they should stop handing out BAs and level the playing field for collages

I agree there. Or at least they can stop harping at high-school kids, telling them "if you don't get at least a BA, you'll never geta job!!!" Take a look at my generation, PHD's serving Starbucks coffees while their tradesmen friends move into $300,000 houses. Thanks, teachers!!

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by Doryman

Quote: Originally Posted by I think notQuote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverITN did you ever notice how many organizations in your country use the word American in thier titles and how many times the word is slipped into newscasts and added to almost every sentence and plastered over all your products like milk and cheeze and garbage bags and stuff, it's really wierd.No I haven't noticed, any point to this? Other than Trolling? Not likely.
How about we start bringing in foreign workers to work jobs when we run out of unemployed Canadians, mmmkay? Are you Ontarians running out of Newfie Migrant Labourers or what?
Quote: Originally Posted by JayIf we need more trades workers they should stop handing out BAs and level the playing field for collages I agree there. Or at least they can stop harping at high-school kids, telling them "if you don't get at least a BA, you'll never geta job!!!" Take a look at my generation, PHD's serving Starbucks coffees while their...

Quote has been trimmed
And they bring in immigrants to do trade jobs that they don't promote to HS kids....it's all part of the Liberal plan.

Doryman
And in university, you're taught to believe in enforced multiculturalism and PC thought at any cost! Plus, youre infused with a little bit of intellectual elitism to believe that trade-work and labour are beneath you, so you're glad to have "poor immigrants" to come do that work for you, even if they make more. You've got important things to do, like wear Che Guevara t-shirts and protest the fact that you have to pay back student loans!!

Circle of life and all that!

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by Doryman

And in university, you're taught to believe in enforced multiculturalism and PC thought at any cost! Plus, youre infused with a little bit of intellectual elitism to believe that trade-work and labour are beneath you, so you're glad to have "poor immigrants" to come do that work for you, even if they make more. You've got important things to do, like wear Che Guevara t-shirts and protest the fact that you have to pay back student loans!!

And vote Liberal!

Circle of life and all that!

I added something you left out.

Why do you think the Universities are funded the way they are? Do you think they could push that agenda on collages?

They aren't fooling me....

Why do you think the Universities are funded the way they are? Do you think they could push that agenda on collages?

They aren't fooling me....

Lotuslander
I have no sympathy for the recently deported Portugese family. If they wanted a better life they should have moved to Germany or the UK. If their heart was set on Canada why didn't they apply legally? Our immigration system would easily have allowed this family to settle in Toronto. I honestly just don't know what they were thinking, they may have been hard working but they certainly weren't honest or smart.