Harper's tough on crime

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
Just prior to the opening of the thirty-ninth Parliament, Stephen Harper addressed the Canadian Professional Police Association on his plan to crack down on crime.

Harper promised such things as:

-impose mandatory minimum prison sentences for drug crimes, weapons offences, and crimes committed while on parole.

repeal a section of the Criminal Code that allows a criminal serving a life sentence to apply for early parole.

-that his government will scrap the former Liberal government's draft legislation to decriminalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana. The bill would have allowed people found with small amounts of the drug to avoid a criminal record. Instead they would have faced a fine.

-hire more officers

Well, this makes me really happy. Its about time somebody did something about our rising crime rates.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/04/03/harper-policeconference04032006.html

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Some of that list sounds good, but Jeeeeeze I don't like to see solutions presented in extremes.... gotta leave room for the shades of grey - the drug legislation, repealing the parole Criminal Code - these seem like a step backward to me...

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't think that (in my opinion, at least) it would be appropriate to remove parole provisions from the Criminal Code of Canada — every situation is unique, being rammed through one piece of legislation (namely, An Act respecting the Criminal Law) and I think that it would be unwise for us to remove any flexibility and discretion from such a statute.