And made retro active. 8O
With only one appeal. 8)
Then 2 warning DU shots between the eyes. :roll:

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
it is not effective deterent
and
the criminal justice system is flawed-- ie wrongfull convictions...
in the US there have been up to 100 cases of people who were wrongfully convicted of murder--- who were sentenced to death --and while on death row had were exonerated by new evidence---- iether other people confessing to the murders and--or--- new dna evidence that incriminated someone else---
its fair to speculate that many people have been put to death by the state that have been wrongfuly convicted

on the other hand life imprisonment-- sequesters potentiallly dangerous people-- while giving the opportunuity to exonerate any that have been mistakenly convicted

i geuss in a way its a philosophical issue-- because the death penalty is -- so irresversible---one has to remain open to the possibility that not all the evidence relating to the case is avaible at the time sentencing--- that potentially new exonerating evidence may surface at any time

imprisonment would be sufficient to address public safety concerns while avoiding gross miscarrages of justice

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
I believe it should, in extreme cases where the criminal is so obviously guilty. (Pig Farm Guy, Ed Gein, Etc....) If you have a man wanted for one murder, the death penalty is a little extreme, as he may be exonerated, if you come across a guy with a freezer full of his neighbours and a pair of footie pyjamas made out of a dead hooker... well... I think we can safely slot him....

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Never meant to be a deterrent. Its called punishment for premeditated murder.

Maybe a good deterrent would be bribes. Offer potential murderers a million dollar reward for not killing some one?

DNA and murders caught on tape, corroborated by 50 RC Bishops should be sufficient evidence the killer is guilty.

But it's better to spend hundreds of thousands rehabilitating the psycopath and then let him loose. How many recent post DNA testing innocent people have been wrongfully executed?
How many innocent people have been murdered after a killer has been prematurely released from prison?

Clifford Olsen got $100,000 reward for showing where he buried 10 children. Any doubt he is innocent? The $100,000 a year to keep him in club Med could be better spent on feeding starving children.

Typo**edit

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
i take it back
for war cimes yes
ie bush and blair and kissinger etc yep i agree

bobbie

Apr 1, 2006
British Columbia
but some criminals are beyond rehab(ie re offending murders, child sex offenders) and i dont think its fair tax-payers should go towards keeping these dangeous people alive

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
if you dont think its fair then
stand up for your beliefs and dont pay your taxes
theyll put you in jail
its not too bad
zoofer seems to think its like club med
then you can mooch off all the suckers who do pay their taxes

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
Most people on welfare are not mooching off the system. They can't find a job that meet their financial needs.

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
oh by the way jonb2004
i think you are a re-incarnation of-- paradox 5--
am i right

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
It is a tough life.
Federal inmates suing Ottawa for millions

Joey Thompson, CanWest News Service
Published: Saturday, April 01, 2006

VANCOUVER - Federal inmates are suing their jailers in droves for failing to supply everything from an electric blender to cable television and CD-ROMs for their computers -- and the public is on the hook for much of the court and legal costs.

Documents from the Department of Justice in Ottawa show Corrections Services Canada and the federal government are target defendants in 451 open inmate lawsuits and court petitions.

Hundreds of inmates claim damages in the thousands of dollars for injuries and trauma they say they suffered from sexual and physical assaults by other inmates, detention in solitary confinement, slips and falls, shoddy medical care, missing personal belongings, unwanted transfers to tighter security facilities, cancellation of private family visits, lack of free nicotine patches and more.

Scores of other felons are demanding judicial reviews of CSC and National Parole Board staff decisions they allege stomp on their constitutional rights. These include the denial of a religious diet, errors in calculating release dates, unwarranted disciplinary actions and libelous statements in CSC staff reports.

Judging by the stack of documents obtained under the Access to Information Act, a few couldn't resist flooding justice lawyers -- who represent Ottawa in all things legal -- with their complaints about unfairness.

Probably the busiest criminal is Albert Duterville, a Maritimer who, between 2003 and 2005, filed 26 legal beefs against CSC, including a claim for $55,000 for injuries inflicted by inmates and demands for a review of a decision not to let him phone his son or send out mail within 24 hours.

The runner-up is B.C. prisoner Allan Crawshaw who has launched nine actions, including complaints he couldn't keep a free CD Rom that arrived with his Maclean's magazine and staff refused to let him buy a computer with a TV card.

A few inmates are seeking hefty financial awards, among them are Flint Kaya, who tops the list with $25-million for life endangerment and Michel Dumont who wants $8-million for unlawful conviction.

OTHER LAWSUIT CLAIMS INCLUDE:

- An inmate was shafted by a guard who he paid under the table to relocate him to a "preferred location."

- Staff deleted certain numbers from prisoner's phone list.

- Inmate sustained injuries while working out in weight room.

- Someone removed inmate's computer TV card.

- He was wrongly transferred to another institution ($1-million).

- CSC failed to deliver cable television services when promised.

- Prisoner's private family visit was cancelled ($168,000).

- Inmate's photo taken at institution barbeque was published.

- He was denied a food blender.

"We can't stop them," said Dennis Findlay, B.C. regional spokesperson for CSC. "Each claim has to be dealt with in a legal fashion. They have as much right as other Canadians to pursue claims through the courts."

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=858a75b7-aec4-4e64-8245-c64fd7561e99

I need a new set of golf clubs but will settle for a food blender.
Does the inmate pay court costs? Not likely. The poor taxpayer gets to pay for all frivolous court case costs. Time, lawyers etc etc etc etc.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
The government need to do a major overhaul of Canada's jails. Prisoners shouldn't be able to get computers and blenders. The only thing prisoners should be able to have is books. Each inmate should get their own cell and their food delivered to their cell. Prisoners should also not be able to socialize with anyone. And visitations should be only once a month. And there should be no such thing as congicals.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Hell yes. Then when I'm in charge, I can put all Neo-Con's I don't like on trumpt up charges and have them legally exicuted. *sarcasism*

Anyhow if you don't get my point I think capital punishment has no positive effects on society and can be used as a weapion by the government to opress opitistion.

So I'm a Big no to capital punishment.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Did you mean opposition or opitulation? 8O

As the NDP and Fiberals constitute the opposition are you suggesting Principled Conservatives are suppressing them with threats of the death penalty?

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
zoofer said:
Did you mean opposition or opitulation? 8O

As the NDP and Fiberals constitute the opposition are you suggesting Principled Conservatives are suppressing them with threats of the death penalty?

*writes down your name on my enemies list* Just you wait Zoofer, when I'm in power and we have the death penalty, you will be the first. However in light of the first Canadian execution in over 50 years you will have the delight of making history with my new way in executions. Death by TV being pushed into your bath tub. :twisted:

Math executions will take place in the Toronto Olimpic pool when we have the prisons line up in the pools for washing and then we will dumb one 100 inch HDTV into the pool. :twisted: