Canada: No Asylum for Christians

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Canada Refusing to Offer Asylum to Persecuted Christians (LifeSite News, March 21, 2006)

By Gudrun Schultz

TORONTO, Ontario, March 21, 2006 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Canadian immigration frequently fails to recognize the claim of refugee status from Egyptian Coptic Christians, reported CTV news yesterday. In at least half the cases, claimants are sent back to Egypt to face increased persecution.

The 2005 Country Report on Human Rights from the U.S. State Department said Egypt is responsible for "numerous human rights abuses," in particular against religious minorities. The report lists numerous cases of "religious discrimination" against Coptic Christians and says there is widespread "torture and abuse" in Egyptian prisons.

Christians who have made refugee claims in the west will almost certainly be imprisoned and possibly tortured if they are sent back to Egypt.

"Just being detained in a prison is probably intimidation enough," said Paul Rowe, one of Canada's top experts on Christians in the Middle East and political science professor at Trinity Western University.

"Anyone who is a dissident will also face a certain amount of torture or certainly degrading punishment of various different sorts," he said.

Since 2000, the Immigration and Refugee Board's records show that about half of the refugee claims of Egyptians were denied. The records don't show how many of those were Christians. Currently there are approximately 20 Egyptian Christians facing deportation from Canada.

In one case, the claimant sought refugee status after being beaten, he says, by a group of Muslim men because of his religion. A Muslim member of the IRB heard his claim, and denied him refuge. His case was appealed and he will receive another hearing.

Christians in the Middle East frequently face persecution for their faith, from restrictions on their religious freedom to imprisonment, torture, and even death.

In Afghanistan today a man is on trial for his life for converting to Christianity from Islam. Under Sharia law, rejecting Islam may carry the punishment of death.

Abdul Rahman converted to the Christian faith 16 years ago, while working with a Christian aid organization helping refugees in Pakistan. His family, estranged in a custody battle over his two children, denounced him to the authorities, reported the BBC today. When arrested, he was carrying a bible.

This is thought to be the first time an Afghan Christian has been put on trial for his life because of his faith.

If he recants, he will be "forgiven," said trial judge Ansarullah Mawlazezadah.

"We will invite him again because the religion of Islam is one of tolerance. We will ask him if he has changed his mind. If so we will forgive him," he told the BBC on Monday. If not, Mr. Rahman faces the possibility of death by execution.

Despite the reluctance of the IRB to offer asylum to persecuted Christians, refugees claiming homosexual persecution are assured of finding protection in Canada. Although sexual orientation is not specified under Canada's legislation, the category "membership in a particular social group" allows claims on grounds of sexual orientation.

To express concerns, write, e-mail or fax to:

Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington Street
Ottawa
K1A 0A2

Fax: 613-941-6900

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hey, the U.S. will gladly take all these people in......won't they??

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I know #juan you can almost NEVER make a point without referencing or comparing with the US, but hey, give it a shot, you might surprise yourself.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Read what you post.

You chided Canada for refusing to offer asylum when you really don't know if they did or not. Unlike the U.S., Canada is not the savior of the world but we do our best.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I didn't write the article, I didn't chide anybody. I know you feel that way, but that's not my problem, it is obviously yours. I recall a similar reaction from you when I posted an article from the economist, claiming Canada has dysfunctional politics and you went off on me because an American posted it. As long as I am not flinging personal insults, you're just going to have to deal with it, or ban me, either or works.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"In one case, the claimant sought refugee status after being beaten, he says, by a group of Muslim men because of his religion."

Nice men.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Now you are being ridiculous. I know you didn't write the article but you posted it. I answered it.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
That's right, an American posted it, so you felt the need to compensate by referencing the US, as you always do. You prefer I do not post anything negative about Canada when I find it? Does it bother you? All you have to do is say so.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Canada certainly ought to akcnowledge religious refugees, even if only on compassionate grounds.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
You have to look at the evidence that was presented about the people and evidence that would deny them refugee status and the situation Canada has with Eqypt. Because you will only get the evidence from one side in this case.

And I heard one of these Christian people say,

"Because a Muslim was on the board even impartial because the person is Muslim they will reject us."

It doesn't matter what religion you are apart of if you feel they don't deserve asylum you don't let them in. Other people on the board had to vote with the Muslim man or woman if that person did vote to reject them.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Exactly Finder. If their Pope can live their I think it is okay.

But it could be possible that since Coptic Christians made several plays and newspapers that disgraced Islam last year maybe tensions have risen between the two religions.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Jersay said:

But it could be possible that since Coptic Christians made several plays and newspapers that disgraced Islam last year maybe tensions have risen between the two religions.

I don't know the real details in Egypt. Anyone, form any religion form any country in which his religion is persecuted ought to be granted refugee status. Now of course if that religion decides to politicise itself, well we should still accept refugees if the claim is legitimate, while at the same time sending them a stern warning that they ought to repsect the local culture. Obviously if Christians in Egypt decide to politicise their religion, well then they're asking for trouble.

When I say persecution, however, I don't mean simply having religious restrictions, but being outright persecuted. In China, for instance, freedom of religious organisation is certainly curtailed, and can really me sometimes. But this is still not the same as persecution. So China shouldn't qualify for religious refugee status. F@lvn G0ng might be an exception however.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Jersay said:

Well they have lived in peace there since Islam became the dominate religion as the copic religion was the former. The Islamic world as always show cased the Copic Christians as how tolerant they are and were, and indeed compaired to the west the Coptics were treated VERY well during the middle ages and later on. However with the advent of enlightenment, and seculerism, I'd say the west is much more toleraent then even how they have treated the coptics.

I've not heard of much violance against them of late, no more violance then lets say the extremists hold to there more moderate muslim followers in power.

Also I read in the paper the other day Portuguese claiming refegee status. I don't understand why they'd be claiming this as I highly doubt they have anything to fear from their government, even less so then Coptics.

Anyhow on this issue, until I see the Coptic Pope leave and say there big problems I don't think this is a real big issue.

EDIT
Machjo
The Coptic Church is more or less the Catholic church from 1500 years ago. It was the main religion in Eygpt until Islam took it over. Once this happend the church was cut off from Rome but the people allowed to worship and elect there Pope, or the Bishop of Eygpt. He has the same powers as the Pope more or less and they don't really regonize the Roman Pope as the head of the Coptics, though there are movements in both churches to reunite the two churchs.

Anyhow as the Koran states Christians are to be allowed to practice there religion without any harm to them. The Copts were allowed to do so though at times they did have periods of hard times and extra taxes but by and large compaired to what was happening in the west they were dealt with kindly compaired to Muslims and Jews in Europe.

I know Islamist extremists have targeted there churches at times, but the government does in most sences protect them. Also they make up a good minority and the only sizeable one in Eygpt, believed to be at least 6% (according to the cia world fact book).

Qawii2

May 9, 2011
But that should change now... Just organise yourselves to pressure Mr Harper and CO to establish a policy favouring Christians fleeing the tumult and accompanying dangers in N Africa. Apostates ( those Muslims converted to Christ) are in clear danger because of the explicit demands for their deaths (as found in Sharia law.)

Enough already, we refused entry to Canada of the Jews previous to, as well as during, WW II. Are you aware that the Arabic translation of "Mien Kampf" is "Jihad." In his book, Hitlermade it clear that he would exterminate the Jews. Islam has made it equally clear that they intend to exterminate those who leave Islam. We cannot plead ignorance

Get a chain e-mail going getting people to contact Mr Harper's office. State your case and your convictions. In fact write up several formats of the e-mail and start the chain going in different directions. Only those who will agree with you will sign on anyway, but some will and sufficient e-mails get read. Why not also write Jack Layton and company? They say they care; maybe they do. Appeal to their desire to do such things as will make Canadians be proud of them. Thank them in advance for their "keeping faith" with our proud record of justice.

I do not ever again want to hang my head in shame like I do when I remember how we turned away Jewish refugees at the time of WW II

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
All immigrants should be treated equally, regardless of religion, race or country of origin. I see no reason to give Christians preferential treatment. That would be discrimination. I would hope that that is not what Canada is all about.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
How many refugees has Canada taken in from Iraq, Darfur or Rwanda? How many displaced Afghans? Qawii2 is only interested in Christians and that is discrimination.

If you think there's a bias against Christians in immigration policy, it wouldn't be discrimination to focus on that.

But I doubt the case presented in the OP has anything to do with a bias against Christians. Christian immigration to Canada comes from Eastern Europe, China, South Korea, Latin America, Iraq. But there is probably more non-Christians coming to Canada because most non-Christian countries are ****holes, whereas Christian countries are more evenly divided.