Conservatives not concerned about Vets

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Vets upset about veterans charter, urge greater benefits for disabled troops
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at 12:04 on March 21, 2006, EST.

OTTAWA (CP) - A veterans support group wants Prime Minister Stephen Harper to delay enacting new veteran benefits legislation.

The group says Bill C-45 takes away more from veterans than it gives them. Retired soldiers - who point out the bill won't affect their benefits - warn that Bill C-45 removes the lifetime disability pension paid to disabled veterans and their survivors.

The pension would be replaced by a one-time lump sum payment.

As well, they say, the bill removes all income support for disabled veterans after they reach 65 years of age.

Retired Capt. Sean Bruyea says by enacting the law, the federal government is abandoning soldiers serving in Afghanistan and other conflict zones.

http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/NationalNewsArticle.htm?src=n032104A.xml

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
The changes to the pension system isn't just for vets. It applies to all members, both past and present, of the CF. Myself for example, I broke my hand last year in a training exercise and had to receive surgery and a pin. As a result I am entitled to a financial compensation package. I found out 3 weeks ago that if I didn't have my claim in by April 1st 2006, then I would no longer be eligable for monthly payments for life, and therefore receive a lumpsum that was no where near the sum of a lifetime package. I am not impressed.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
You can be extra careful all you want, but accidents happen. In our business we put ourselves in situations that often the human body isn't meant to be in, and thus we have a great potential to hurt ourselves.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Yeah a buddy of mine was telling me a place's number where it brings bear to your step. Which I have written down on a napkin somewhere. Got to give it a try when i get there.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
RE: Conservatives not con

How much do you want to bet this legislation was designed to lessen the cost of caring for war injuries, or is it just coincidence, maybe someone in Ottawa expects protracted operations by the armed forces in places like Afghanistan and the bean counters have found a way to save bucks on the backs of injured soldiers, the NDP wouldn't do this, but the Cons and that other bunch would.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Jersay, call your local legion they usually have someone who works on the anything related to Vets i.e. pensions, complaints etc. Legions also have for free Lawyers on staff to help injured military members file disability claims. The legion are great guys/gals who work on military members and vets behalf.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
Jersay,

Yeah there's a few places that'll bring any sort of alcohol you want right to your barrack room. Be advised for when you go, don't make too much use of this service, it leads to excessive drinking in the shacks. That never turns out pretty....i.e. mop-bucket jousting...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Conservatives not con

darkbeaver said:
How much do you want to bet this legislation was designed to lessen the cost of caring for war injuries, or is it just coincidence, maybe someone in Ottawa expects protracted operations by the armed forces in places like Afghanistan and the bean counters have found a way to save bucks on the backs of injured soldiers, the NDP wouldn't do this, but the Cons and that other bunch would.

Guess what?

This was NOT Conservative legislation.

Like it or hate it, and I've heard views on both sides from veterans, it was introduced and passed by the LIBERAL government.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
However, Colpy, Section 117 of the Act stated that it was not to take effect immediately; rather, the Act is not to take effect until the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada so advises the Governor General of Canada.

Therefore, the Prime Minister could, if he so chooses, not permit the legislation to take effect.

Lotuslander

Electoral Member
Jan 30, 2006
Vancouver
Five Paradox wrote:

However, Colpy, Section 117 of the Act stated that it was not to take effect immediately; rather, the Act is not to take effect until the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada so advises the Governor General of Canada.

Therefore, the Prime Minister could, if he so chooses, not permit the legislation to take effect.

While this is a possibility the legislation in question may have already received Royal Assent from the last government and Governor General , I tink this is the case as I was told that it comes INTO effect April 1st. However, if this is the case then the PM can ask that the legislation not be proclaimed. If it has already received royal assent and has been proclaimed then it may still be possible to "hold up" the legislation through an Order-In-Council, but, it may not. It may take an act of Parliament to amend or rescind the legislation.

What I can't understand is why some veterans groups support the charter as these provisions for wounded armed forces members are terrible. I hope they amend it.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Lotuslander, according to the information on the LEGISinfo Web site of Parliament (which could, perhaps, be incorrect) a date has yet to be set by the Governor in Council. Section 117 specifies that the Act not come into force until the Governor in Council so orders.