Grits' Leadership Convention Announced!

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Mike Eizenga, the President of the Liberal Party of Canada, today announced the date of the party’s next leadership convention (which is to serve, in addition, as the party's Biennial Convention) — the convention is to take place from November 29, 2006 to December 3, 2006. This announcement sparks the race to select a successor to the Right Honourable Paul Martin, P.C., M.P., the Member for LaSalle—Émard, and the former Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada.

In its capacity as the Biennial Convention (required by the Party's Constitution), the party is to discuss matters of policy, too. The convention is to be chaired by the Honourable Dominic LeBlanc, M.P., and Ms. Tanya Kappo. There has been a $3.4-million established maximum spending limit for leadership candidates, and Canadians have until July 1, 2006, to register with the Liberal Party to be eligible to participate in the event.

NaturalLemonFlavour

Mar 17, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
Woot, exciting stuff. I just heard the news too. I've been involved with the Young Liberals for around a year now, so I'll probably get to go to the convention as a voting delegate. :D And my M.P., whom I will accompany, has a pretty good shot at getting into the top five positions.

Who're you all rooting for?

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
There is no current member I would vote for. The Liberals need to find an honest and decent person I wish them luck.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
That is my problem also Kreskin. I can't lie people tell me they can tell I am lying by the look in my eyes. What a curse.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I haven't decided on a candidate to support yet for leadership; I am probably going to need to see a list of candidates within the coming weeks to really make an opinion.

orpheus

Nominee Member
Mar 14, 2006
Canada, I would presume.
RE: Grits' Leadership Con

Honestly, isn't there only one person in for sure at the moment? Martha Hall Findlay is running. She is a self-professed social liberal and fiscal conservative. There's a list of potential candidates on CBC if you decide to search for them. A lot of people are calling Ignatieff the next Trudeau. And yet, I can't see Trudeau advoacting the war on Iraq. He may have this name simply because he is an academic as Trudeay was.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
orpheus, members of the party cannot register to become candidates until April 6, 2006 (the date when the regulations governing the campaign are to be set in stone by the National Executive of the Liberal Party of Canada) so, unfortunately, we may not have an "official" list of candidates until one or two weeks afterward.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I am happy with the NDP and Jack Layton because with the 'efforts' of both the Liberals and Conservatives this might be one of the only chances for the NDP to get in charge.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I have mixed opinions on Bob Rae... I would like him as the leader of the Liberal party but then again unless he can do something about his image in Ontario, xp in the 905 area, and the inner city where the union and leftists have sway he may end up losing a lot of seats for the liberals. Then again he may be the answer to the NDP's prayers of destorying the Liberal party to make the NDP and the Conservative the two big tent parties. =-D

I think Belinda as a leader is a joke in too many ways. Ken Dryden, well he's my MP and I can't stand him because he doesn't care about us anyways, I pretty sure the Liberals are just.... not in a good posistion right now. But who knows new blood might be what the party needs to get itself going again.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Since they are holding their Biennial Convention at the same time (where they decide on their policies), this might just be the refresh and restart they need to get back into the swing of things.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: RE: Grits' Leadership Convention Announced!

FiveParadox said:
Since they are holding their Biennial Convention at the same time (where they decide on their policies), this might just be the refresh and restart they need to get back into the swing of things.

Well I hope so for people like you Paradox who believe in the Liberal party and their lies. But I hope your not right so the NDP can push the Liberals out of the way to really make these elections interesting with a big centre left and a big centre right party going at it. :p Only a scant 126 seats the NDP need to gain next election. :lol:

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Unless of course the election pulls a FPTP miracle, and the results in every riding are

Liberals: 34 %
NDP: 33 %
Tories: 33 %

and the Grits come out with 308 seats. :D

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
PAradox, parties have fallen apart in the past my friend. Just look at the progressive conservitive party. Hell even the Liberal party has been on the verge, not to mention the NDP as well at times.

So anything can happen.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Yes...good point!

Join the rebels, Five....leave the darkside!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Sassylassie said:
There is no current member I would vote for. The Liberals need to find an honest and decent person I wish them luck.

Were I a lefty (which I most certainly am NOT) I would probably support Bob Rae. He has a vision, he wants to unite the left, which doesn't strike me as a bad idea at all. Although a new Liberal-Democratic Party would probably spend a term or two in the wilderness.

Ask me if THAT would bother me.

But, seriously, partisan considerations aside, I would prefer to see a left-centre and right-centre party compete against each other.