Investigation of Emerson, Softwood

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Honourable Dominic LeBlanc, M.P., P.C., the Member for Beauséjour and International Trade Critic for Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition is requesting that the Ethics Commissioner of Canada, Doctor Bernard Shapiro, investigate the conduct of the Honourable David Emerson, M.P., P.C., the Member for Vancouver Kingsway and Minister of International Trade, in relation to his involvement in the negotiation of a resolution to the softwood lumber dispute.

In 2004, Minister Emerson signed a recusal to rescue himself from negotiations that would involve Canfor, a corporation from which the Minister is owed an unregistered pension (since the Minister was once the president and CEO of the company). However, under the current Government of Canada, it appears as though Mr. Emerson is going to be taking a lead role in the negotiations, which could improve the financial situation of Canfor — and, therefore, the Minister.

The Web site for the [i said:
Liberal Party of Canada[/i]]Can Mr. Emerson assure Canadians that his "Retirement Compensation Arrangement" is in no-way tied to the financial position of Canfor Corporation – a financial position that could be dramatically improved by the Mr. Emerson's handling of the softwood lumber negotiations?

The on-going financial relationship between the Minister of International Trade and one of Canada's largest lumber producers makes his continued, direct involvement in these discussions a matter of public concern.

Click here to read the entire article, in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire l'article entier, en français.
Furthermore, Mr. LeBlanc has written an open letter to the Commissioner, wherein the Member for Beauséjour requests that Dr. Shapiro assure the citizens of Canada that Mr. Emerson's "Retirement Compensation Agreement" is not tied, in the least, to the situation-of-the-day of the corporation — which would, as indicated above, put Mr. Emerson into a controversial position of gain.

The open letter reads:

The Honourable Dominic LeBlanc said:
As your Public Registry notes, on November 11, 2004 Minister Emerson signed a public declaration of recusal stating:

"As former president and CEO of Canfor Corporation, I have an entitlement to an unregistered pension plan, partially funded through a Retirement Compensation Agreement. In order to prevent the appearance of a conflict of interest situation from arising, I have undertaken, in the exercise of my duties and responsibilities to abstain from any participation in discussions or decision-making processes involving direct dealings with Canfor Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates."

In his capacity as Minister of International Trade, he is directly involved in negotiations not only related to the possible agreement with the United States but also the refund of deposits held by the U.S. Treasury and paid by Canadian softwood producers. Canfor Corporation would be one of the largest depositors of money subject to this potential refund.

Click here to read the entire letter, in English.
Click içi pour lire la lettre entière, en français.
:?: Sources
Click here for the Web site of the Liberal Party of Canada.