Québec to be Independent at UNESCO

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Today the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, the Prime Minister of Canada, announced progress in his continuing discussions with the Honourable Jean Charest, the premier ministre du Québec. The Prime Minister has expressed that the Government of Canada is going to act to ensure that Québec, in particular, gains the right to participate in world conferences such as UNESCO, alongside Canada.

The Rt. Hon. Stephen Harper said:
"As I had indicated when I was in Québec City on December 19, ‘a new Conservative government will invite Québec to participate at UNESCO’. Today, Premier Charest and I agreed to task our ministers to work towards a formal agreement on Québec's role within UNESCO."

Click here to read the entire article, in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire l'article entier, en français.
:arrow: My Opinion

While I support a strong voice for Québec within Canada, my opinion is that Canada should speak on the world stage as one voice — that of the Canadian. Not the Albertan, not the British Columbian, not as the Quebecker, but rather as the Canadian voice. In my opinion, it is appropriate to voice the concerns of particular provinces, within the context of Canada; however, this should be done by the representatives of Canada, not as independent representatives of certain provinces, with the exception of others.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I wouldn't mind having Quebec sitting at the table at UNESCO but you do raise the point of singualing out regional differences. If you speak with many voices than you are not a country.

Because who knows if another province wants to be at another table because they deal with that particular sort of thing.

This builds disunity not unity. It just lets the premiers milk the PM until they can't get anymore out of him and say, good bye Canada if they so wanted to.