Gomery's Reforms Not Recommended

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The second report from the Honourable Justice John Gomery made many suggestions and recommendations, in terms of changing how the Government of Canada conducts its business; however, both politicians and members of corporate establishments alike are urging the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, the Prime Minister of Canada, to ignore many of the recommendations.

The [b said:
Canadian Press[/b]]OTTAWA — Stephen Harper is getting a message from some card-carrying members of the Canadian political and corporate establishments — don’t listen to Justice John Gomery’s recipe for radical reform of the federal government.

In a letter to the prime minister made public today, more than 60 former politicians, retired bureaucrats and private-sector CEOs contended that Gomery went too far in his second report on the federal sponsorship scandal.

Click here for the entire article.
:arrow: My Opinion on the Matter

1. The report recommends that the power of the Prime Minister to appoint Deputy Ministers be stripped; there was, moreover, a recommendation that the power to make decisions should have been more focused on the deputy minister, rather than the Minister of the Crown — I think this would be an unwise decision.

Under Mr. Justice Gomery's recommendations, Ministers would only have the authority to override the judgement of their deputy ministers through a formal ordinance-like letter; in this sense, controversial decisions, regardless of their source, could be placed on the Minister, even where that Minister had no knowledge of the decisions being made under his or her department. In my opinion, were this recommendation to be adopted, we wouldn't have any need for Ministers whatsoever.

2. The recommendations of the report seek to compromise the powers of the Clerk of Her Majesty's Privy Council for Canada — the core of the beaurocracy in Canada, this officer serves as the Prime Minister's eyes and ears, and if watered-down could cause the Prime Minister to lose touch with not only the Privy Council, but the network of beaurocrats in Canada.

3. The recommendations endeavour to increase the autonomy of public servants while, as is the case in the first of the recommendations discussed above, permitting the servant to dodge blame in most cases, were there ever to be an error, leaving the Minister entirely responsible for actions for which he or she may never have even been made aware.

Many prominent Canadians have signed the letter, urging Mr. Harper to not implement the measures suggested by Mr. Justice Gomery. I would concur with these Canadians; I would suggest that to implement the types of recommendations in the second report would cause malfunction in the institution of Parliament.