Harper- Canadian Health Act

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
OTTAWA (CP) - The federal government will be examining Alberta's health-care reform plan over the next few days to see if it respects the Canada Health Act, says Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

ADVERTISEMENT

Harper emphasized Wednesday that the plan is just a "working document" at this time, adding that his government will be reviewing it and will have something to say within days. But he played down concerns that the Alberta proposal would threaten the country's law guaranteeing universal access to publicly funded health care.

"This government is committed to the Canada Health Act," Harper said "My understanding is that the Alberta government is not just committed to the Canada Health Act, but the Alberta government has enshrined the Canada Health Act in Alberta's own legislation."

Alberta announced Tuesday that it plans to allow private health insurance and let patients pay for faster access to some medical procedures.

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty has already spoken out against the plan, suggesting it violates the health act by allowing people to "jump the queue."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/2006...5NvaA8F;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

So if Alberta enshrines the Canadian Health Act, then I guess it is okay for the rich to hopscotch the poor. You know with that reasoning, I think Harper can go right ahead for some brain surgery, he needs it.

:roll: Alberta enshrines the Canadian Health Act that is a good one.

cyberclark

Electoral Member
Just a plan is a farce! Alberta Doctors are already offering upscale services at advance charges! The Clinic in Calgary that opened it's doors for yearly consultation fees of 3500 dollars has been asked to pull in it's horns, not by the Alberta Government but but the Alberta Medical Association.

This is a program on the move!

let's see if Harper has the will to bring a stop to it! My guess is not.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Let's just scrap the CHA and allow provinces do what they want with their provincial right of health care.

There shouldn't even be a Federal Health Minister.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: Harper- Canadian Health Act

Jay said:
Let's just scrap the CHA and allow provinces do what they want with their provincial right of health care.

There shouldn't even be a Federal Health Minister.

You got it! People pretend like provincial governments aren't even accountable for their policies.... in fact they are far more directly accountable to their residents than the feds. It's provincial jurisdiction: Ottawa butt out! :evil:

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
The provinces want to make everything extremely cheap. So they don't care who gets left out or how many people don't vote for them because it would be the majority priority for provincial parties except the NDP to put it all to the private and let people suffer like they do in America.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Jersay said:
The provinces want to make everything extremely cheap. So they don't care who gets left out or how many people don't vote for them because it would be the majority priority for provincial parties except the NDP to put it all to the private and let people suffer like they do in America.

It is provincial jurisdiction, Jersay.

I have questions for yall....what do you call governments that step on lower state constitutional jurisdictions and want to centralize those powers federally? What do you call governments that believe it's OK to step on personal freedoms to champion the ideology that you can't look after yourself? What do you call governments that after having achieved the above goals tax their citizens to death and don't deliver the promises the tax money is supposed to pay for....and blame it on other people? What do you call governments that use state run media to keep it altogether?

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
A strong federal government.

Which Canada should be.

I actually think we should get rid of the provincial governments, and have little areas like in Ontario like Durham region across the country.

Then we wouldn't have to pay as much tax.

We would pay county tax and federal tax.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
You call that "a strong federal government"

You are off your rocker....just as I thought.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think you should try to understand why we have things like provinces and counties, boards and such. You might even learn to appreciate it.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I already now a bit about provincial governments and they are just as useless as the federal government. They have as many or even more scandals, they aren't concerned about the average person and try to cut down as many social programs as they can.

SO I don't like them, and it is only the Federal government and its legislation that keeps them in line.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Maybe your provincial government is usless but mine isn't.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Jersay said:
I already now a bit about provincial governments and they are just as useless as the federal government. They have as many or even more scandals, they aren't concerned about the average person and try to cut down as many social programs as they can.

SO I don't like them, and it is only the Federal government and its legislation that keeps them in line.

I'm beginning to think you don't even like Canada and what it is....your bent on destroying the confederation and it is of no wonder to me that there are separation movements in Canada, when people are suggesting we should destroy it.

cyberclark

Electoral Member
We have come through some rough times. The Liberals inherited a country that was about to be put into bankruptcy by the International Monetary Fund. The Liberals did some very astute book keeping in more than one level. By canceling the debt to the Caribbean and third world countries they eliminated bad debt from their books which made the accounting end of things look much better.

I agree with that incidentally!

Driven by a low Canadian Dollar and high exports they were able to produce a surplus on a number of levels including employment insurance.

They also downloaded a bunch of federal costs onto the provinces who promptly downloaded the costs onto communities and then, to you and I. This is where a lot of the surplus came from but, on the bright side we were internationally respectful which helped our accounts.

The US economy was soft and is still soft. U S companies found a 2 for 1 dollar deal in investing in a broad range of Canadian companies. Most looked at who they were getting their supply from in Canada and made the cross boarder purchase. The BS in the media about US bashing being harmful for business was just that. Business had never been better and theatrics played big on the tube both sides of the border.

Aquila for instance sold it's power lines in Kansas to buy power lines in Alberta. The US boned economy is a scary proposition for people in the power business.

Harper cutting the GST is a silly move. We would have all been better off had he found a way to get that one percent back into the municipal coffers.

I'm all for a Canada but dam we have to watch these politicals of any stripe or we are going to be s.o.l.