Appointment to the Senate Made

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Office of the Prime Minister today announced that, on the advice of the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, the Prime Minister of Canada, the Honourable Michael Fortier has been appointed to the Senate of Canada; the appointment is effective at once, as a representative of Québec in the Red Chamber.

Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, the Governor General of Canada, agreed to summon Mr. Fortier to the Senate on the advice of the Prime Minister; controversy continues to surround Mr. Fortier, as he was inducted into Her Majesty's Privy Council for Canada, and appointed as the Minister for Public Works and Government Services, notwithstanding the fact that he had refused to run in the Thirty-ninth General Election for a seat in the House of Commons.

While the Opposition in the Senate would have the prerogative to question the conduct of Mr. Fortier once Her Excellency summons Parliament this April, the newly-elected Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition in the House of Commons would have no such right, since it is discouraged for members of the Commons to make reference to the Senate under most circumstances.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I gave the Conservatives the benifit of the doubt to trust them on democratic reform and what Mr Harper has been saying for over 20 years about an elected Senate. From the moment (right after the election) I heard about this appointment it was like MR Harper himself was kicking me in the balls. The one thing I like him for and the one reason I would have accepted a conservative government they lied about. Conservatives, at least this government and this PM have nothing to offer me and I hope for there speedy death where I once hoped them a long term for democratic reform.

I know there are good conservatives, conservatives upset about the appointment and the way this government has already acted in, but one in the same there were liberals who were upset with the last Liberal government. I personally supported a Minority government last election, but the next election I will be supporting a NDP magority as both the Federal Liberals, and the Federal Conservatives do not deserve to rule or have a hand in forming a government.

As long as Harper is the leader of the Conservatives I will not support them.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Disappointed in Harper

I would agree, Finder, in that I am quite disappointed with the conduct of the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, the Prime Minister of Canada thus far, even before the House of Commons has been summoned and convened! I would have thought that, after having run on a campaign advocating accountability in Government, that he would never have appointed someone to the Senate for partisan purposes — nevermind make such an appointment a Minister of the Crown.

Moreover, I am surprised that after having mentioned so often that power to appoint Justices of the Supreme Court of Canada should not be held by the Prime Minister alone, that he would state that he would consider the debate at the Ad Hoc Committee to Consider a Nominee to the Supreme Court of Canada before making his decision, since the decision "ultimately rests with the Prime Minister."