Liberal Leadership up in air if early election

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
OTTAWA (CP) - Interim leader Bill Graham says it will be up to the party executive who leads the Liberals into the next federal election if it comes before a leadership convention.

But Graham suggests he doesn't expect Paul Martin will be the man.

Martin handed over the leadership duties to Graham after the Liberals lost the federal election Jan. 23, saying he would not lead the party into another election.

There has been speculation that Martin might come back for another shot should the Consevatives' minority government collapse sooner than later.

Graham said today he does not expect that to happen, adding Martin was categorical in his decision not to come back.

Graham also suggested he does not expect an early election.
http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/NationalNewsArticle.htm?src=n022311A.xml

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Well I'm sure a opritunist will jump in like Ken Dryden. Someone who could easyly be a conservative as a Liberal. *shrugs* Belinda also comes to mind, and a few others. Bob Rae was even given a nod for it but I doubt he will because Ontario generally doesn't want him. Though moods may have change with reflection.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
This is a moot point because there will be no early elections. Harper will be there until late 2008. Something quite profound would have to happen before the Liberals take down the government. The BQ won't want another election before the Quebec provincial election in early 2008. And the NDP won't want to be the ones to trigger yet another election.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I agree with ya, DasFX....

I think there are still some sore spots left from the election.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
The fiberals seem to be itching to gain back their power. I guess 13 years of uninterrupted power will do that to you.

I will bet my house that Belinda will never win an election! I woulden't be surprised if Dryden became leader though.....

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
the way I see it is that the next election is in mr Harpers hands. As long as he is not involved in corruption or anything radical, an average term in office will probably thrust him into a majority government.

...either that or the Liberals would have to come up with one hell of a leader

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Re: RE: Liberal Leadership up in air if early election

Hank C said:
I woulden't be surprised if Dryden became leader though.....

I'd be fine with that. He is thoroughly detached from the previous regime of Chretien and Martin to start anew.

I'll vote Liberal in the next election, I can tell you that already, but I say leave PM Harper in for now.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net

DasFX said:
This is a moot point because there will be no early elections. Harper will be there until late 2008. Something quite profound would have to happen before the Liberals take down the government. The BQ won't want another election before the Quebec provincial election in early 2008. And the NDP won't want to be the ones to trigger yet another election.

All which needs to happen is for the conservatives to becomes too cocky (already has happend) and for them to act like they have a mandate (65% of the nation voted against them) and for them to think they can pass whatever they want. Social Liberals, the NDP and the Social Democratic Bloq will stop that from happening. Look I supported the Idea of a conservative minority because I thought Haper would govern as a minority but it really doesn't look like he will.

Plus we can't say what will happen in the next year. Perhaps harper will do something so stupid the polls would force the opisition to trigger an early election, or perhaps the polls would indicate a conservative magority and harper would cause an election by trying to pass something so neo-con he would know it'd fail.

I think we will be back to the polls sometime mid 2007

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
All which needs to happen is for the conservatives to becomes too cocky (already has happend) and for them to act like they have a mandate (65% of the nation voted against them) and for them to think they can pass whatever they want. Social Liberals, the NDP and the Social Democratic Bloq will stop that from happening. Look I supported the Idea of a conservative minority because I thought Haper would govern as a minority but it really doesn't look like he will.

Plus we can't say what will happen in the next year. Perhaps harper will do something so stupid the polls would force the opisition to trigger an early election, or perhaps the polls would indicate a conservative magority and harper would cause an election by trying to pass something so neo-con he would know it'd fail.

I think we will be back to the polls sometime mid 2007

With Harper, if he does try to pass something neo-con to make the parliment fall he will lose because it would stoke everyone's fear of him. However I agree with Finder when he says that Harper doesn't appear to act like he is in a minority, even though like Finder said 65% of Canadians, and 42% of the ones who voted for him are watching him very closely.

I think there will be an election by Nov.

vishliberal

Nominee Member
Feb 20, 2006
TORONTO

Hank C said:
The fiberals seem to be itching to gain back their power. I guess 13 years of uninterrupted power will do that to you.

I will bet my house that Belinda will never win an election! I woulden't be surprised if Dryden became leader though.....

umm...it doesnt seem so...if there is an election...it will be because CANADIANS want it. Look at it logically for a second before you criticize. If an early election is forced, the Liberals will be scrambling to find a leader, and the leadership convention didnt even happen yet! that would be a crisis. Another thing is is that the Liberal party is millions of dollars in debt, so they cannot even AFFORD another election soon. So, think about it, it wont work in their favour if another election is called, so they are not itching for power yet. Spare us the unneccesary Liberal Bashing c-rap will ya?? :D

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

vishliberal said:
Hank C said:

umm...it doesnt seem so...if there is an election...it will be because CANADIANS want it. Look at it logically for a second before you criticize. If an early election is forced, the Liberals will be scrambling to find a leader, and the leadership convention didnt even happen yet! that would be a crisis. Another thing is is that the Liberal party is millions of dollars in debt, so they cannot even AFFORD another election soon. So, think about it, it wont work in their favour if another election is called, so they are not itching for power yet. Spare us the unneccesary Liberal Bashing c-rap will ya?? :D

I don't think there will be an election anytime soon either.......at least not this year. Maybe the end of 2007

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Election Timing

In my opinion, we are going to see the writs for the Fortieth General Election issued before the end of this year; I cannot foresee the Conservative Ministry co-operating with the Opposition parties — and if they continue to act as a majority government, despite being the weakest Government in the history of Canada, in terms of seats in the House of Commons, the Ministry could be defeated at any time.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would think it interesting, OpnSrc, that you could predict a majority Government on the part of the Conservative Government, apparently two years from now (a long time in the world of governance), without the Government having even convened in the House of Commons!

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Re: Election Timing

FiveParadox said:
In my opinion, we are going to see the writs for the Fortieth General Election issued before the end of this year; I cannot foresee the Conservative Ministry co-operating with the Opposition parties — and if they continue to act as a majority government, despite being the weakest Government in the history of Canada, in terms of seats in the House of Commons, the Ministry could be defeated at any time.

What do you mean 'if they continue to act as a majority'? They haven't even done anything yet!! Give them a chance to screw up, Five (the Emerson scandal notwithstanding).

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
MMMike, and what of the vow by the Conservative Ministry to force through their child care agenda, and to disestablish the gun registry, notwithstanding the opinion of the House of Commons?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: Election Timing

FiveParadox said:

It's more that the other parties aren't working with the government...at least that's how the Liberals put it when the conservatives weren't cooperating with them.

I hope the opposition parties do screw it up, because I think Conservatives have only gains to be made out of this.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would disagree entirely; while the people of Canada are prepared to give them a chance, in an effort to resolve the violent climate in Ottawa (in terms of politics, anyway), I would assert that the Tories have been given a very short leash (hence the weakest Government in the history of Canada).

If the Conservative Ministry messes up, even if it does not seem as if the screw-up was a big deal, I would think that the Conservatives would be exiled again to the Opposition for quite a few years.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Good luck...

Who do you think is going to take the Liberals to these heights?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I have no idea, to be honest. However, I would assert that if forced to do so, the Honourable Bill Graham would make a good leader going into an election campaign. So far, he has conducted himself quite admirably, and his choices for the higher positions in his caucus have been quite good.