Muslim hypocrisy

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Whats this I hear about the Islamic Council threatening to sue over the publications of the cartoons in Canada. Is it just me or are we having a double standard straight out of turban town being shoved down our throats!

I remember after Sept 11th there were muslims in Canada (America too) who were cheering. In recent years we have seen muslims in Calgary and other Canadian cities protesting with "death to Jews" signs. We were rightfully angered that these kind of people were allowed into Canada, but we showed our disgust peacefully, by writing angry letters and voicing our opinions on talk shows and other media. We let this uncanadian behavior pass as "freedom of speech and expression".

Why does the muslim community not show the same outrage when innocent human beings are kidnapped and mutilated in the name of their prophet? what about televised torture? or the animals blowing themselves up and taking innocent muslims with them? What about the anti Christian or anti Jewish cartoon which are much more vulgar and sick? Why are they not up in arms protesting these? It strikes me as odd that a cartoon (which is quite accurate in portraying radical islamic people) is what sets off these people living in Canada. It shows their absolute hyprocrisy.

To allow any religion this double standard, let alone islam, to hold the Canadian population hostage to their beliefs is insane. Political correctness will be the downfall, the trojan horse of the west! The cartoons may have been in bad taste, but what about piss christ and other anti christian expressions. We dont censor these.....any people who cause Canada as a nation to censor itself in fear do not belong here.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
PC is like arms-agreements.
both only work so long as all parties play by the same rules.

but we know how well the selfish little piggy plays fair.
fair!?!?!?!?
delusioned by his own ignorance,
a coward in his own familiarity,
he spits his venom forth,
without ever recognizing he is his own enemy.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I am a bit confused as to how a lawsuit would be shoving their beliefs down our throats; I would certainly doubt that you, Hank C, or going to be receiving a notice to appear before a Justice any time soon as a result of this. Whether or not I agree with such a Council's course of action, the fact remains that they have a right to seek such a lawsuit under the provisions of our Criminal Code that would provide for hate propaganda-related charges.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: RE: Muslim hypocrisy

FiveParadox said:
I am a bit confused as to how a lawsuit would be shoving their beliefs down our throats; I would certainly doubt that you, Hank C, or going to be receiving a notice to appear before a Justice any time soon as a result of this. Whether or not I agree with such a Council's course of action, the fact remains that they have a right to seek such a lawsuit under the provisions of our Criminal Code that would provide for hate propaganda-related charges.
'

Here here!!!

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Hate speech laws limit not only the speaker's expression but also the speaker's opinion. They run the risk of violating not only that person's freedom of speech, but a more personal right, the freedom of thought.

Who defines what is hateful? None of you supporters of hate speech laws ever answer that question. What is deemed offensive by one group isn't by another. I ask again, who defines what is hateful? And should you take under account every single phrase that can be offensive?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
In an ultimate sense, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada and her eight Puisne Justices are the arbiters of what speech can be deemed to be "hateful." I wouldn't have it any other way — they rule on the basis of weighing speeches or expressions brought before them, against the appropriate sections of the Criminal Code of Canada, keeping in mind that hate propaganda is a limit on free speech as permitted by Section 1 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (where the Constitution permits for limits on rights and freedoms so long as they are reasonable and justified in the interest of Canada).

Whether one would agree or disagree with the merit thereof, that's the answer.

As to whether each and every phrase should be considered, no, they should not. However, those brought before the Supreme Court of Canada most certainly should be considered.

Moreover, I see no problem with limiting hateful expressions and opinions. We are better without them — why would we want to cultivate such negative behaviour and thought processes?

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
"Moreover, I see no problem with limiting hateful expressions and opinions. We are better without them — why would we want to cultivate such negative behaviour and thought processes? "

the bigger question though, is who defines what we are better off without?

who defines "negative behavior"?

would you be for or against manditory medication of the entire populace to ensure no "unclean" thoughts come about, and would you be happy with such a homogenious society?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
the caracal kid, I think you might be staggering from the point of this discussion. Canada should accomodate a varied range of views and opinions, and consequently, a varied range of expressions of those views and opinions.

To respond, though, the Supreme Court of Canada, in relying on those legislative measures that have been passed by the Parliament of Canada, determines that one could deem to be "negative behaviour."

To respond further, I would be opposed to your "suggestion" in relation to the mass "medication" of the populous.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
then you place a great deal of trust in people you know not much of. A society can not be open and equal so long as all positions are not granted the same opportunity of expression.

whether you are aware of it or not, you are endorsing social engineering. Something so many rally against when it is raised, yet given the opportunity will use it themselves.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I can see it being a crime to Incite Hatred. Is the media going to allow the Muslims to decide what they deem offensive. What is next on their agenda rudeness. The next time a JW shows up on my door step telling me I am going to hell because I am RC and I telll them to piss off, will I will be the first one jailed. I will never surrender my belief in Free Speech All this talking about insulting Religion was started by a cartoon, not Incitement to Hate. If there was any hatred it was by their very actions. Let Muslims worry about their countries and stop pushing their agenda on the rest of the Free World. If we start enacting new laws to pacify them--then what? They want their own legal system oops they tried that. It's one thing to retain a Culture it is another to shove it down my throat. Political correctness is reaching epidemic preportions in Canada. I am convinced the Muslim Extreamist have organized the entire world outrage garbage just to further their agenda.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Everyone has the opportunity to express themselves; however, there are certain consequences for certain types of expressions. Section 1 of the Constitution Act, 1982 concedes that certain "restrictions" may be placed on the rights and freedoms of the people of Canada, insofar as such restrictions are "demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society." Our hate propaganda laws were drafted in the spirit of Section 1.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
well five, you will find people are supportive of all sorts of things so long as it is they who benefit (perceive benefit).

Social engineering is a wonderful thing, is it not?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
However, in the case of the interpretation of the Constitution Acts and the legislative measures by which hate propaganda places due restrictions on free speech, the Supreme Court of Canada does not, I would argue, rule in favour of one group of rights over another — rather, the Parliament of Canada rules on such matters pre-emptively in their legislative measure, whereas the Courts merely analyze any such legislation.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
five,

in any ruling on the hate laws, there is indeed a ruling in favour of one group of rights over another. It is merely a question of if you agree with the inequalities of said rulings!

One makes a society to his ideal by systemically eliminating thought and thus action that challenges it in any form. The question is who's ideal is it that canadian society is being shaped to?

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Canada already has a section in the Criminal Code covering Hate Crimes, that is more than enough. Is this what you want Canada to start crimilizing: If someone insults the Pope or drafts a Cartoon, this is now hate. If a joke is made about the Baptist is this hate. If a specific group in Canada is targeted with hateful lititure that organization will take the offender to task or turn it over to the police.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sassylassie, just to be clear, I was not recommending that Canada expand on its hate propaganda laws; I would think that, in my opinion, they are quite adequate and have served their purpose admirably and appropriately.

:arrow: Sidenote

I love your avatar! Five stares at the bouncing sheep ... bounce, bounce, bounce ...

ashley_rb

Mar 2, 2006
The prophet cartoon proved one thing: terrorist don't need to fly planes into buildings. All they need to do is to insight a riot of their own people and that anger will get lots of people killed.