Gun Registry Cost Upsetting

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/NationalNewsArticle.htm?src=n021681A.xml

True cost of gun registry will be upsetting, warns public security minister
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OTTAWA (CP) - Canadians will be shocked by the true cost of the federal government's ill-fated gun registry, says new Public Security Minister Stockwell Day.

Day told The Canadian Press that figures bureaucrats have shown him during briefings for his new portfolio are much higher than previously thought. He would not divulge what the tab is, but said it's upsetting.

"Some of these numbers, when we get out all the numbers and when the auditor general releases them all very soon, eyebrows are going to go up," he said Thursday.

"People are going to be upset and they're going to have a right to be upset."

When the Liberals added the registry to the federal gun control program in 1995, they said it would cost taxpayers no more than $2 million. But the most recent estimates put the figure in the hundreds of millions of dollars, bringing the total cost of the gun program to more than $1 billion.

At last estimate, the gun program was said to be consuming $90 million a year to maintain.

Day said an auditor general's report will show that a lot of money was needlessly lost.

"I think what will grab people is the fact it didn't have to be this way, whatever the final number is, it could have been avoided."

Day is part of a group, including Justice Minister Vic Toews and longtime gun registry critic Garry Breitkreuz, looking at how best to kill the registry as soon as possible.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper promised voters during the election campaign that the registry would be scrapped and money redirected to public safety.

The Conservatives have called the registry a waste of taxpayers money that targets duck hunters rather than criminals.

Day said it may take more than just the $90 million from the registry to fulfil Tory promises of hiring 1,000 more Mounties.

"The cost of providing the safety and security that Canadians want, there's going to be a cost to that, and there's a possibility that not all of it will be found within the savings of the long gun registry.

"Will it be enough to offset what we're talking about in terms of 1,000 officers? Maybe yes, maybe no."

"But when you have new officers on the street, you have less crime and you're saving all sorts of money on investigations and prosecutions, keeping people incarcerated, so there are offsetting factors there."

©The Canadian Press, 2006

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Day is part of a group, including Justice Minister Vic Toews and longtime gun registry critic Garry Breitkreuz, looking at how best to kill the registry as soon as possible.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper promised voters during the election campaign that the registry would be scrapped and money redirected to public safety.

This is exactaly what I wanted to hear...... :eek:

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: RE: Gun Registry Cost Upsetting

The Gunslinger said:
I never really had a problem with a two million dollar gun registry. It only became a problem when the cost skyrocketed to tens of million of dollars...

I think you mean hundreds of millions of dollars....possibly over a billion.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I think you will findf the 1 billion figure is very low.

I hear people talking double that amount, and increasing at 100 million a year.

Not bad for a program that was to cost 2 million to set up, and then be self-sustaining!

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Whether or not I agree or disagree in principle with the registry, I would doubt that the House of Commons under its current representation would pass a motion to end the registry, nor take kindly to a Conservative Ministry terminating the registry without the consent of the House.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

FiveParadox said:
Whether or not I agree or disagree in principle with the registry, I would doubt that the House of Commons under its current representation would pass a motion to end the registry, nor take kindly to a Conservative Ministry terminating the registry without the consent of the House.

havent you heard, they already have a team in place who's sole purpose is to find ways to deregister the gun registry :cheers: :wave:

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
After months of screaming bloody murder over the apparently opaque nature of the Government of Canada during the Thirty-eighth Parliament, would it not seem somewhat hypocritical for the Right Honourable Stephen Harper to attempt to terminate the registry through some sort of back-door, outside-the-House method?

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Tory committee working to scrap gun registry

The Conservative government has struck a committee to work on scrapping the long-gun registry as soon as possible.

The committee is composed of Justice Minister Vic Toews, Public Security Minister Stockwell Day and Registry critic Garry Breitkreuz.

Breitkreuz, a Saskatchewan MP, said he has been given the authority to act quickly and effectively on the file.

"I wouldn't be fighting for what I'm fighting for if I didn't think that would be the case," Breitkreuz told the Canadian Press.

"We couldn't have had two better appointments because they're giving me the opportunities to put in place whatever is needed to stop the flow of money right now."

During the election campaign, Prime Minister Stephen Harper pledged he would get rid of the long-gun registry and redirect its funding to hiring police and helping victims of crime.

Conservatives have a long-standing beef with the registry, claiming it is a waste of taxpayers' money that punishes legitimate hunters while having little or no effect on criminals.

The long-gun registry was added to the federal gun control program in 1995 with an estimated cost of under $2 million, but its cost has since ballooned to hundreds of millions of dollars.

One of the challenges the new committee will face is deciding how to kill the registry while keeping a promise to require background checks of those who wish to purchase long-guns.

Breitkreuz wouldn't hint at how that might be pulled off, but said he is working on a solution along with Day and Toews.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060215/tory_gunregistry_060215/20060216/

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If this is being done in a Committee, then would the House of Commons not be required to concur in a report from that Committee before they could take action on the registry?

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
How much do you want to bet a dollar the number is close to $2 billion?

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

FiveParadox said:
After months of screaming bloody murder over the apparently opaque nature of the Government of Canada during the Thirty-eighth Parliament, would it not seem somewhat hypocritical for the Right Honourable Stephen Harper to attempt to terminate the registry through some sort of back-door, outside-the-House method?

Nope....the Conservatives have been quite clear on the issue since day one. In fact it was one of their election platform promises, to scrap the registry and redistribute the funds for more policing. They are just following through on their promise.

How much do you want to bet a dollar the number is close to $2 billion?
yea I have heard that quite often, I want to see the real numbers though. but i aint gonna be surprised if your right. damn liberal swine :cussing:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
This is silly on a number of levels.

In an article I read on the gender gap in the last election, the survey found 75% of men wanted the registry scrapped, as did (much to my surprize) well over one half of the women surveyed.

Secondly, the easiest and most legitimate way to kill the registry if the House won't is simply stop assigning it money. Actually, this was already done in the House once, but the Liberal government simply paid for it from (I guess) petty cash. One would think that if the House under the Liberals refused to vote the registry cash, a free vote to kill it would pass easily under a Conservative government.

Thirdly, the question of background checks is moot. Purchasing a long gun has required a license since January 1, 1979.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

Colpy said:
In an article I read on the gender gap in the last election, the survey found 75% of men wanted the registry scrapped, as did (much to my surprize) well over one half of the women surveyed.

yea i read that article too...Globe and Mail yesterday. But anywho it seems pretty evident that much of the population does not support this colossal waste of tax money. but yea if for some reason they could not scrap it, they would most likely cut off funding.

and you are right....backround checks are not an issue here seeing as how you need a lisence anyways.