Calgary paper runs cartoons

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
CALGARY -- The cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad that sparked riots worldwide angered Calgary Muslims yesterday after the caricatures were published in a city paper.

The Jewish Free Press -- an independent paper -- reprinted three of the cartoons in its Thursday edition alongside paintings of the prophet found in books and museums. The paper also printed anti-Semitic cartoons.

Abdu Souraya, a Calgary Muslim, said Islam promotes freedom of expression, but journalists need to use discretion.

Editor Richard Bronstein said it was his duty to let readers inform themselves about the issue.

Ezra Levant, publisher of the Western Standard, said he will also print the cartoons on Monday in the context of a news story.

"How can you tell the story without showing the cartoons?" he asked.

"Why has every editor in Canada not published this? Are they really worried about (offending people)?" Levant asked.

Link

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I have no doubt in my mind at all that Mr. Levant is doing this exclusively for the purpose of "stirring the pot." He should be ashamed of himself; the only reason to publish the cartoons now is to offend people, and that is all that this person is doing.

Shame.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I have no doubt in my mind at all that Mr. Levant is doing this exclusively for the purpose of "stirring the pot." He should be ashamed of himself; the only reason to publish the cartoons now is to offend people, and that is all that this person is doing.

Shame.

Agreed totally with you Five, but it appears that it is okay nowadays to discriminate and stir the pot against people different then you nowadays.

This is f-ing sad.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Tell you what Jersay, the title of a thread you created "Good Old American Government for You" is very offensive to me. You make a sarcastic title with negative news. Please remove it.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The civility of debate on these forums is quickly plummeting.

I think not, the purpose of my argument (as I would think of Jersay, too) is that the publication of the cartoons at this point serves no constructive purpose whatsoever and, rather, is being published exclusively to offend people.

In a free, modern and democratic society, this is constitutional yes, but also highly questionable in terms of ethics and the appropriateness of the content. In terms of CC.net, I generally speaking self-screen my posts to ensure that I don't say something that would serve the exclusive purpose of offending — and for that much, I would hope that in the eyes of the audience my posts are that much more credible.

I would hope that one day people learn that, metaphorically speaking, when you throw rocks at some kid in the school yard, you're going to get sent to the principal.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
FiveParadox

First I would suggest you do a search on this site to determine whether or not civility has plummeted or actually improved.

Second, a couple of posters have condemned the publishing of the cartoons from the beginning, so your argument doesn't wash.

And last but not least, since a seemingly offensive text, cartoon or other content is highly subjective to the individual, I would suggest that those who advocate "responsible freedom of speech", get cracking on laws to fill books several thousand pages long to ensure nobody ever gets offended again.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You appear to have, again, dismissed my arguments without due consideration. In relation to civility on these forums, I am speaking in the context of the past few days.

Regarding the entire business of the cartoons, I am sick of them being used as an excuse to argue against the Islamic faith as a whole. This entire ordeal is being used to insult Muslims, and to suggest that they are all some sort of horrible people — which is quite simply not the case, and those who would argue so should be quickly and vehemently opposed by anyone who would value a free, democratic, modern, responsible and respectful society.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Calgary paper runs cartoons

FiveParadox said:
Regarding the entire business of the cartoons, I am sick of them being used as an excuse to argue against the Islamic faith as a whole.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, you can easily stop reading the threads that pertain to this topic if you are sick of it. Like it or not, it's called freedom of speech.

FiveParadox said:
This entire ordeal is being used to insult Muslims, and to suggest that they are all some sort of horrible people — which is quite simply not the case, and those who would argue so should be quickly and vehemently opposed by anyone who would value a free, democratic, modern, responsible and respectful society.

If what you say is true, I'm quite sure your hate laws will kick in and then you will be pleased.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Jersay said:
Great.

Always thought that Ezra guy was a idiot.

It seems Canadian papers were doing okay with the story without hurting anyone. But who cares what i think.

I think the President of Iran would agree with you Jersay. It's a Jewish paper. Is this a statement against all Jews? It does seem to reflect a certain political position.

I am curious because these ethnic lines are very closely drawn in the Middle East as well as in Canada if you follow the activites at certain universities.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Re: RE: Calgary paper runs cartoons

FiveParadox said:

Shame.

How exactly do you know what the motivation is here? Why should he be ashamed of himself? The Arab papers attack Jews all the time. The Iranians in the name of Islam are calling for a general jihad against Israel and Jews. And according to you Levant has no right to respond. In fact he has no right to think as you have decided you will do the thinking for him.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Putting words in my mouth is a discrediting practice against yourself, Sanch. Perhaps you should come up with arguments of your own, instead of trying to twist mine for your own purposes.

I did not say that Mr. Levant did not have the right to publish the cartoons; I said that he should not publish them on the grounds that it would serve no purpose other than to incite more controversy unnecessarily.

Colin

Jun 20, 2005
RE: Calgary paper runs ca

I think we can all agree on two points.
1. The Islamic extremists would have no problem or moral complaint about doing the same or worse to any other religion or people on earth.
2. The cartoons where indeed printed in bad taste, while allowed under our freedoms if we think that this is wrong we should not support the papers that print them.

JoeyB

Electoral Member
Feb 2, 2006
Australia
RE: Calgary paper runs ca

I haven't seen the cartoons yet.

personally, I couldnt give to rat's arses as to their intended audience, the amount of indignity or offence they may proclaim to have or the amount of humour they impress on others...

It's a free country we live in. For those who are upset, lodge a peaceful protest, by complaining in writing to the publisher of the offensive material, and if you want to be publicly heard in an open forum, go and debate the issue.

It's not for me, or for you to say who can write and who cant, and what they can or can't write about. remember, without literature, YOU wouldnt be able to communicate. So think about that small step, before people collectively, with a lemming style mentality, jump on a censorship bandwagon, or prevention-prohibition campaign.

It's pretty simple. If you find it offensive, ignore it. If you cant ignore it or put it 'beneath you' as some with a more zen-like moral compass do, then make a peaceful protest, by simply stating your disappointment in someone's actions.

Thats how the muslim community reacted here, and for the most part, noone gives 2 crackers about the newspaper's opinion. I think the protest here was handled in a most decent andeffective manner, because everyone got the point, and there havent been any reruns.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. What everyone is also entitled to, is to NOT have someone elses opinion forced upon them as if it be their own.

* now that Ive viewed the cartoon, I seriously wonder what the hell everyone is screaming about. If some poor bugger can't see the obvious humour in it, even though it may be a little bad taste, it's pretty freaking lame to think some old crotchetty bastard got his undies in a twist and decided to go and burn a few embassies. thats called over-reaction. *

I think Ghandi perhaps, may have expressed himself in this way: All you can do as an individual, is espress your disappointment in their taste, educate them to understand why it offended someone, and then ask them to think about that when they publish future material.

This kind of fundamentalist extremist religious violence is only going to create more of a secular division, within a religious culture and a societal culture, and inspire us to become more loathing of other's beliefs.

Not healthy.