Conservative Screw Ups keep on ticking

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
New parliamentary secretary to Francophonie can't speak French
Last Updated Fri, 10 Feb 2006 07:30:15 EST
CBC News
Francophone groups and opposition MPs are raising concerns about an appointment in Stephen Harper's government after learning the parliametary secretary for la Francophonie doesn't speak French.

INDEPTH: The Conservative cabinet

Yvon Godin (CP file photo)
Alberta MP Ted Menzies was sworn in on Monday as parliamentary secretary to la Francophonie and Official Languages Minister Josee Verner. He was also made parliamentary secretary to the minister of international co-operation.

Minority French groups like the New Brunswick Acadian Society say nominating a unilingual anglophone to this position shows just how hard it is to communicate with the Harper government.

New Democrat MP Yvon Godin, an Acadian, says it's proof Prime Minister Harper didn't think these nominations through.

"It's like telling the anglophones, we're going to give someone to represent you. And he only speaks French and he doesn't speak English at all and that's your representative and you deal with it," said Godin.

But Menzies, who has taken a French immersion course and says he plans to continue learning, brushed off the criticisms.

"We have two official languages in this country. Not just French. Not just English. We have two official languages," said Menzies.

Who better to represent Canada's two official languages than a minister from Quebec for the French and a parliamentary secretary for the English, he said.

It's the latest in a stream of criticism Harper has faced over his cabinet appointments.

New International Trade Minister David Emerson crossed the floor from the Liberals two weeks after the federal election, angering many in his his Vancouver riding who say they voted in a Liberal. His riding association has asked for him to return $97,000 in donations, and even some Conservative MPs have said Emerson should resign and run in a byelection as a Tory.

Harper has also taken heat for appointing unelected party operative Michael Fortier as public works minister and to the Senate.
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/02/10/menzies-french060210.html

I think I am being to hard on the conservatives.

That is why, next time something finds a article about NDP screwups i will critize the article.

But with this, it shows that next election there is only one choice, NDP, NDP.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Yall are going to have to do better than this.

"Minority French groups like the New Brunswick Acadian Society say nominating a unilingual anglophone to this position shows just how hard it is to communicate with the Harper government."

I mean who the hell cares what they say, they managed to get the shtick printed in the English press, I think they will find it just as easy "to talk to Harper"

I'm all for Canada being a bi-lingual country, but I'm not all for whiney French people pulling little stunts like this.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Because I thought we had whiny Western people just a little while ago complaining about the government that was in before the Conservatives.

And besides, this is a bi-lingual country, and as a French person, I expect, most cabinet or high-level employees to know some form of French.

However, on a positive note, I hope he learns french quickly.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I don't believe it is a requirement of anyone sitting in the government to speak French. It is a requirement that you can have services in both languages, but even that has gone to far.

As a French person I expect French people to grow up (like I have) and show a little respect of the fact that people in Alberta need to speak French like I need a third arm. It would seem to me that certain people are trying to keep certain people out of office. That is discrimination.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
No, learn the language.

In a bilingial country top positions should be held by bilingual, not even fluent but people who should know a bit of the second language.

That is why I want Inuktituk sorry if I spelt it wrong but the Inuit's language to become Canada's third official language. Then we will have to have indigenous people, until the language can be learned.

And also, that is why the guy is taking French lessons. As long as he can speak a bit of french he is okay. But if you are running for a top political position the days of one-language ended when French became Canada's second langauge.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
The more important question is why the hell is there a Parliamentary Secretary for the Francophonie anyway??? I'm with Jay, official bilingualism is bullshit. Ten years down the road when there are more Chinese than French in this country how will we justify this policy? Governments need to be able to communicate with its residents. In Vancouver or Marham that might mean having service available in English and Mandarin. In Quebec, obviously it needs to be English and French.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It's not a requirement for anyone sitting in gov't to speak French, but jeezus christ, this is the parliamentary secretary FOR OFFICIAL LANGUAGES.

Clueless. Utterly fugging clueless. Never in all my dreams did I imagine Harper was this stupid. I cannot believe I told people he was worth a shot. God almighty.

The only good part is there is no way this crowd will last more than a couple of years. Good fodder for Rick Mercer, anyway.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Questionable Appointments

The recent appointments being made by the Right Honourable Stephen Harper are drawing sharp criticism, and for good reason — the Prime Minister of Canada has been brushing the dust off of the convention books, and invoking some odd, but not unconstitutional, authorities.

For example, appointing the Honourable Michael Fortier as the Minister of Public Works and Government Services, while said minister is not an elected Member of Parliament, is a questionable, but not unlawful, action.

This recent appointment, whereby a Parliamentary Secretary to a Minister relating to the Official Languages of Canada, is questionable in that the Secretary does not speak the languages with which he will be dealing. This could impede the capacity of the Ministry to be represented in the House of Commons when the Minister is away (in which case, as you know, the Parliamentary Secretary acts as the representative of the Ministry).

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
If Harper did think these members to cabinet through we are really in trouble. Emerson did nothing wrong crossing the floor unless he was offered something to do so. If the Prime Minister enduced him to cross the floor for a cabinet post it could cost both men their seats in the house.
The Languages minister has trouble speaking any other language other than english and the Justice Minister, has a record for election hanky panky in Manitoba.
Yup old Stephen Lewis said it right years ago, these two parties are Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.
How can Harper start cleaning up government after doing everything he said he would not do?
The tories are a joke.