Northern Ontario Secession Movement

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Why would they want to? I see no benifit of spliting Ontario up. Plus Northern Ontario is more sparcly populated then Southern. I guess it would benfit Southern Ontario that we wouldn't have to spend money on building roads and what not up there. But really it would harm northern ontario too much.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
If it can sustain itself then I see no problem with it, a new province would be interesting. Just out of curiosity what would the approx population of this new province be?

Take into mind vast provinces such as Manitoba and Sask both only have populations of around 1 million people.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Keep the name and call yourselves the province of "North Ontario".....and the southern state will have to decide on whether to rename the province "Southern Ontario".

But whatever you do, please don't join Manitoba!

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
A foul Liberal trick to get more Senators, MP's and other assorted porkers. :cussing:

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Finder said:
But whats the reasoning behind breaking up Ontario?

I doubt anyone in Toronto gives a yaks crap about northern Ontario.....unless of couse they own a cabin up there (or cottages or w/e you tree huggers call em)
:munky2:

Briteyes

Nov 29, 2005
I live in Northern Ontario and there are more NDP mps then liberal that is for sure and as far as us becomming our own province we could not sustain ourselves just maintaining our vast road ways would bankrupt the new province or our taxes would go through the roof as if our taxes are not bad enough already. It is fun to talk about though.

quinton

Electoral Member
Jan 20, 2006
I'm all for it if it means that Northern Ontario will reduce clearcutting of its forests.

Northern Ontario has been exploited for too long and is losing biodiversity fast.

World demand keeps rising as a direct effect of population growth and consumption growth which are what fuels what people think is good: economic growth.

We must stop exporting Canada's forests to other countries. It just encourages them to manage their own resources unsustainably. We must also stop growing Canada's population. We are doing this deliberately for economic growth by allowing immigrants to come from ecologically impoverished areas of dense population to our relatively biodiverse rich land of relatively sparse population.

Recently I heard the White River north of Sault Ste. Marie will be having 3 megahydro dams constructed on it. This is one of the last untamed large canoe route paradise rivers of this lattitude.

Again, I think if Northern Ontario would treat itself as a sustainable community with a deep respect for nature (stop exporting its resources) then it should become a separate province.

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
RE: Northern Ontario Sece

Most ppl in the Golden Horseshoe feel that they would greatly benefit if they left ontario and a lot of northern ontarians feel disenfranchised with the government in Tarana I have been in full favour of the golden horseshoe leaving the rest of Ontario.

Northern Ontario produces about $ 7.2 billion on mineral resouces annully. They are then shipped out of Northern Ontario 100%.

To make matters worst our youth then have to leave because they can not find a job. 200,000 have gone to work some where else (particularly southern ontario) and another 100,000 will be leaving in the next 25 years.

The provincial government refuses to step in and address this issue. They would prefer the de-populization of the northern part of it's province. Whatever it can do to benefit Toronto.

Our group is comprised of mainly university and college students who care strongly about Northern Ontario, born and raised. We are tired of seeing all of our aquaintances take off because they can't afford to stay in the north. We figure if the government will not help us, then we will help ourselves. So basically, that's what we're fighting to do. With a premier in Ottawa our voices may finally be heard, and not overshadowed by those needs in Toronto.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Good luck with that.

I'm from Northern Ontario, and my father left because there was no work outside of the mines and Fords offered him a job down here.....it happens.

I'm sorry were not going to let you create a welfare province out of Northern Ontario...we already have Manitoba and the other welfare provinces to deal with, we don't need another.

I support Northern Ontario by vacationing there almost every year…if you guys leave (which you won’t) I’ll never go there again.

quinton

Electoral Member
Jan 20, 2006
northernontariomovement: do you care about the ecological integrity of Northern Ontario also?

Sorry if I have misjudged, but so far you have only eluded to the idea that you want more money and jobs for Northern Ontarians.

I believe it is wrong to continue to ship natural resources (minerals and timber) from wild places in Northern Ontario to insatiable global markets.

quinton

Electoral Member
Jan 20, 2006
I think that processing resources like sawing lumber, canning fish, smelting nickel or producing paper in Northern Ontario would have disadvantages that you haven't thought of.

It would degrade the natural environment. When will Northern Ontarians realize that their wealth is in the beauty of their environment?

If they became subsistence hunters, fishers or farmers instead of catering to globalization, big business and world markets, they could better preserve their environment, and have a stable sustainable population that doesn't increase or decrease.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
northernontariomovement said:
There needs to be a system in place whereby, a certain percentage of minerals and resources coming out of northern ontario, would have to be manufactured or processed in northern ontario as well. Instead of shipping the raw resources out of the north to be processed elsewhere.

If it is profitable, why don't you guys start the factories up and produce the products?

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Northern Ontaro has beautiful environments and such, but when you are talking about jobs and livelihood my friend the environment will always be pushed to the side.