Appointing friend to cabinet - an insult to democracy

Mimas

Feb 9, 2006
After campaigning to clean up government, put an end to cronyism, and for a democratically elected Senate, Harper appointed unelected friend and supporter Michal Fortier to the Senate and to Cabinet as a SENIOR CABINET MINISTER, who will be responsible for tens of billions of our tax dollars. Fortier has since said that he just didn't want to run in the election. Well, Mr. Harper, this is cronyism at its best.

Here is a petition for Mr. Harper’s unelected friend, Michal Fortier, to resign his senior cabinet post until he runs and wins in a by-election for a seat in the House.

Sign the Petition for unelected Michael Fortier to resign his cabinet post

Please forward this link to as many Canadians as you can.

Colin

Jun 20, 2005
RE: Appointing friend to

Just thinking of all the people our glorious liberal party put into positions of power. BTW can you link a news report to this?

Mimas

Feb 9, 2006
RE: Appointing friend to

<snip... we just need one post about this, not three. Cosmo>

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Appointments

Colin, just because the Liberal Party of Canada made several appointments to the Senate is no reason to condemn them — they did not campaign for weeks on a promise to reform the Senate, whereas the Conservative Party of Canada, did.

The fact remains that this Conservative Ministry is an affront to the reasons that they were elected to the House of Commons.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Oh so no appointments should be made till after senate reform?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
No, no, that is certainly not what I said.

I am simply commenting on the fact that the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, for weeks, talked about how the Senate desparately needed reform in order to restore accountability in the Senate, and how he implied that he would not make appointments for partisan purposes — and now, he has made one such appointment, invoking a Ministerial appointment in the Senate, not otherwise done in decades.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just saying what's done.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Appointing friend to cabinet - an insult to democrac

FiveParadox said:
The fact remains that this Conservative Ministry is an affront to the reasons that they were elected to the House of Commons.

FiveParadox said:
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just saying what's done.

I was born at night, but not last night...

JomZ

Electoral Member
Aug 18, 2005
Reentering the Fray at CC.net
They didn't break any specific promises persay, Harper would have had to appoint a senator before he engaged in the senatorial reform.

The whole situation reeks of the boss' son being given a VP of the company without really earning it. We really do not know much about Michael Fortier, so how can we trust him as a Senator and a Cabinet Minister. I am very skeptical.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
You have to have been born last night if you do not see what the HARPER has done is not turing his back on what he got elected for. I say Harper and not the conservatives because to there credit there are a lot of conservatives out there who are and rightfully so I may add shocked at this move.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Harper is a liar and a weasal. At least he came out with it in the first week of office.

Can we please get him out of office quickly.

He claimed that this is a new chapter in Canadian history. Can it please be a short one, so he can go back and kiss his American buddies.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Not in it for the money.

Harper never promised to not appoint a Senator. He promised Senate reform which will take some time and will be fought tooth and nails by the Fiberals and NDP.

The appointment is to last til the next election, maybe a matter of months. Then Fortier will step down and run for election. That was the agreement. If Montreal had elected a Conservative the Fortier recruitment would not of been necessary.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So instead, we have a Minister of Public Works and Government Services, the Hon. Michael Fortier, who could, at any rate, see fit to answer exclusively to the Prime Minister, rather than his (lack of) constituents.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
If that was Harper's intention he would'nt of bothered with Montreal at all. Just forget about them.
Instead he appointed a French Canadian to represent them in cabinet. Good stuff hey? More than the Cretien government ever did for BC for not sending him porkers.

**Typo

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If the Right Honourable Stephen Harper is making such highly adept appointments by his lonesone, why do we not simply do away with elections altogether?

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Listen he appointed Fortier for personal reasons. Nothing else.

Fortier was basically the head of the conservative party in Quebec, he is a friend of Harpers', he is not popular, last election he only got 6% of the vote, so if he ran he would have no hope in hell, so, what does Harper do.

Appoint him to the senate.

Their both sneaky weasals.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Harper and his right wing nut-jobs would love to get rid of elections if they had a chance Five.

Bush surely would, then he wouldn't have to listen to how low his popularity is.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Re: RE: Appointing friend to cabinet - an insult to democrac

FiveParadox said:
If the Right Honourable Stephen Harper is making such highly adept appointments by his lonesome, why do we not simply do away with elections altogether?

In this case a good idea Par5. Imagine having a Parliament filled with Principled Conservatives? No more Adscams, no love ins with serial killers, no HRDC lost billions, no wasted billions on gun registry. No shirking our duty on the world stage. No love in with Castro and Hamas. In short all the ills in Canada would be cured.
:lol: